[close]
Spoiler
Try Flame Aura.
[close]
(I'm not a huge fan of that solution -- or rather the lack of a clue that
Spoiler
Flame Aura can be used to protect from heat
[close]
-- as I mentioned in the "Completed Games" thread for the game, as I recall.)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Thaumaturge on Thu 23/01/2014 17:01:42
Flame Aura
Spoiler
can be used to protect from heat
[close]

What now? (wrong)
But... but... the valkyrie flames! :-\
Ok, thanks a lot, that should unblock a lot of things. Thanks thanks thanks.

slydog

Sorry for that!  Thanks for editing that out - I didn't realize that it was spoilerish.

any hints on how to speak to Loki, please?
thanks again.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: slydog on Fri 24/01/2014 06:59:58
any hints on how to speak to Loki, please?

Spoiler

Dd you explore all Svartalfheim?

Spoiler

Did you understand the purpose of Arngrim's sliding puzzle?

Try to toy around with Arngrim's puzzle and then go walkng in the caves West of Svartalheim's entrance. You might see messages like "the caves look different from last time you visited them", or "the cave quickly turns into a dead end".
Spoiler

Arngrim's sliding puzzle allows you to litterally move the caves of Svartalfheim. Don't pay attention to the weird decorations of each piece of the sliding puzzle. All you need to do is notice that some of them are turns, some of them are deadends, some of them are crossroards... And also notice how there are 3 connections outside of the sliding puzzle : one of them has the same symbol as the elvish city's entrance. It is the entrance. Another one represents an ice wall, and the third one I can't remember.
Spoiler

Try to connect the ice wall to the rest of the caves, and then go walk there.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Vouching in Munavagir : Sigrun?
Spoiler

(as a sorceress)
I have the librarian's vouching, Liff's vouching and Kraka's vouching.

But Ihave no idea how to get Sigrun's vouching. I asked everyone about her dead husband, Helgi. I know he died in a browl with that guy Jag or Hag from Fornsigtuna. Over there I also asked everyone about them. I know from reading the epitaph that he got burried in the grave next to the haugbui's one. I also know that Helgi and Hag got burried together (or next to each other,  can't remember).

But I have no clue as per what I should do for Sigrun, so that whe likes me. I suppose it something to do with honoring the memory of Helgi. I tried talkng about him to the Valkyrie, but there is no such dialog option.
[close]

Snarky

the lack of a clue that
Spoiler
[close]

I think that makes perfect sense based on available information. After all, as Fizzii says, otherwise you'd burn up whenever you cast the spell. I assume you can also use it to defend against fire attacks in battle (e.g. certain attacks by svartalfar and muspells). As for the ring of fire around the valkyrie, that's a magical barrier which only manifests as flames. Some better feedback if you try that solution would definitely be useful, though.

Re Sigrun:
Spoiler
You need to find a way to let her be at peace with her husband's death. There's a certain item Eitri will trade you that will give her an opportunity for that. The second thing on Eitri's wish list is news of Alviss, so try bringing that (I know you got Alviss re-petrified, but I believe just letting Eitri know what happened to him would be good enough for a trade). However, I think there is a way to lose that object (to Skrymir), and if you've done that you're probably screwed. You might still be able to get Regin to vouch for you, though.
[close]

SarahLiz

Wow.  This game is amazing and so utterly complex and I'm loving playing it.  I know you guys are currently working hard to get version 1.1 out.  But (and please don't flog me for this), will there ever be a walkthrough?  I would gladly pay for one, as frequently frustrated and stuck as I continue to get!  I'd love nothing more than to finish this game...the hints do help some, but it's just really hard to complete without constantly asking ten zillion questions.

Just a question...loving the beauty of this game though, the graphics are breathtaking!

Sarah

Tramponline

Quote from: SarahLiz on Fri 24/01/2014 20:51:19
...but it's just really hard to complete without constantly asking ten zillion questions.
Then I'd say shoot us the first few. No one was ever ostracized for asking question in the 'Hints & Tips' thread - not even a zillion! ;) Which class are you playing?

slydog

Hello again,
I'm having a really hard time with the end boss fight...

Spoiler
he keeps freezing me with the ice storm
Spoiler
I had read that flame aura was supposed to work, but it dissipates the ice storm, and I am frozen solid.  I also tried pre-casting it before I open the door, but that made no difference
[close]
I thought maybe things weren't working right because I was carrying a frozen flower, so I put that in storage, but that didn't help.
[close]

Thaumaturge

@slydog:
Spoiler
Try another spell. How did you get through the blizzard after rescuing Heime?
[close]
Spoiler
Try Sixth Sense.
[close]

(Honestly, I would have expected your solution to work too, I think.)

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 24/01/2014 16:03:53
the lack of a clue that
Spoiler
[close]

I think that makes perfect sense based on available information. After all, as Fizzii says, otherwise you'd burn up whenever you cast the spell. I assume you can also use it to defend against fire attacks in battle (e.g. certain attacks by svartalfar and muspells). As for the ring of fire around the valkyrie, that's a magical barrier which only manifests as flames. Some better feedback if you try that solution would definitely be useful, though.

Eh, I still disagree: it makes sense if you presume that the magic follows the laws of physics, but that's not necessarily accurate (and often inaccurate, I feel). As I said, it seems not uncommon that magic simply doesn't harm the caster in such circumstances, whether or not it protects the caster from similar but externally-applied effects. As to the spell burning the caster, it's shown to have variable effects, warming one object and incinerating another, so it could simply be that the character adjusts the intensity to "warm" when used on herself.

I do agree with regard to the Valkyrie's ring of fire.

I don't think that I ever tried using it to defend against fire attacks in combat; I generally relied on dodging (and being able to absorb at least some blows) for defence, as I recall. (I did try Flame Aura as a defence against physical attacks, hoping to damage my opponent, but after what seemed to be inconsistent results -- it seemed to work with some enemies and not others -- and given the slightly awkward control scheme I think that I ended up setting it aside as a significant combat option, and so didn't think to try it when I encountered fire-wielders later in the game.

slydog

Thanks Thaumaturge, that worked, even if I don't understand the designers' reasoning why...

In regards to the debate about Flame Aura, the difficulty that I have with it is that it seems to do two things that are exact opposites.  When convenient, it acts as a heat cloak, keeping cold out - such as casting it to keep the cold out when you are walking outside.  But, it also acts as a protection from heat!  For example, when combating Muspells.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 24/01/2014 16:03:53
Regin's vouching
Spoiler
You might still be able to get Regin to vouch for you, though.
[close]

I found that out by myself, but I'm almost positive that at some stage the village leader said that Regin wouldn't count as he came from somewhere else -- but he ends up counting anyway. Did I dream that up, or is it a small inconsistency in the dialogs, that will be fiwed in 1.1?

Final battle as a sorceress
Spoiler

I came in the castle carrying a f**kload of potions, but they all got removed. Is that normal? (to my great shame, real life forced me to be away from screen during the whole dialog with Egther -- i came back just in time to fight the giant wolf of Ragnarok so maybe i missed something)
[close]

Final battle as a sorceress (question 2)
Spoiler

Do you also need the poison when you're a sorceress?
I mean, I've disspelled all 4 spells that Egther casts, but then it loops. And the second time, the spell that drains life actually works and kills me.
[close]

Thaumaturge

Regarding the final battle as a sorceress:
Spoiler
No, I don't think that the poison is the intended solution.
[close]
Spoiler
You should have everything that you require: a sorceress relies on her magic!
[close]
Spoiler
Look for an opportunity -- more than one, in fact -- to cast an extra spell, rather than just countering his.
[close]
Successive hints for the stages of the fight, based on my memory of the fight:

Step 1:
Spoiler
First things first: dispel his protective circle!
[close]
Explicit solution:
Spoiler
Cast Disrupt on him.
[close]

Step 2:
Spoiler
Next, try to find a way to distract him.
[close]
Spoiler
What would a Frost Giant react most poorly to?
[close]
Explicit solution (I think; I may be misremembering here):
Spoiler
Cast Flame Aura on him.
[close]

Step 3:
Spoiler
That done, get out of the way!
[close]
Spoiler
(But don't let him notice that you've moved. ;))
[close]
Explicit solution:
Spoiler
Cast Shadow, then run to a nearby pillar. (I might have this step the wrong way around; if it fails, try running first.)
[close]

Step 4:
Spoiler
Now, give him a taste of his own medicine.
[close]
Spoiler
Use his own fire against him.
[close]
Explicit solution:
Spoiler
Cast Arctic Wind on him.
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

Thanks for the tips. I just looked at the first one to avoid spoiling myself ;)
Spoiler

I didn't spot on-screen that there were bits of him or his surroundings on which I could cast spells, nor did I notice that there were time sequences with openings (I felt like he was proceeding to hs next spell as soon as I defended myself).
[close]
I'll try again, paying more attention.

Snarky

Quote from: Thaumaturge on Sun 26/01/2014 19:20:32
Eh, I still disagree: it makes sense if you presume that the magic follows the laws of physics, but that's not necessarily accurate (and often inaccurate, I feel). As I said, it seems not uncommon that magic simply doesn't harm the caster in such circumstances, whether or not it protects the caster from similar but externally-applied effects. As to the spell burning the caster, it's shown to have variable effects, warming one object and incinerating another, so it could simply be that the character adjusts the intensity to "warm" when used on herself.

But that's just arguing why the game doesn't have to make Flame Aura protect against fire, it doesn't argue that it doesn't make sense that it does.

Quote from: Thaumaturge on Wed 29/01/2014 01:22:49
Regarding the final battle as a sorceress:

You're mixing up the order and forgetting a few steps in the final magic battle. Mr OUXX, I don't think you need to time the spells (apart from casting them quickly enough that you don't die, I mean you don't have to wait for an opening): it should always be one by Egther, one by you. You don't need to aim them at particular spots either (with maybe one or two exceptions, where it should be obvious). If I remember correctly, the more precise solution is:

Spoiler

Egther casts an energy bolt at you
Spoiler
Shield
[close]
Egther opens a pit under your feet
Spoiler
Blink
[close]
Egther drains your mana (it's possible that this step and the next one are the other way around)
Spoiler
You don't need to (and can't!) defend against this attack, because Channel lets you cast spells from your hitpoints. So use the opportunity to Disrupt the magic circle around him!
[close]
Egther summons a giant skeleton hand to grasp you
Spoiler
Blessing
[close]
Egther creates a blinding blizzard
Spoiler
Sixth Sense (doesn't quite make sense, but just go with it)
[close]
Egther throws another energy bolt
Spoiler
If you cast Shield again, you're basically setting yourself up to go through the cycle again, and when Egther drains you the next time, you die. Instead, Use Flame Aura to temporarily blind him.
[close]
Egther gets really pissed, wants to burn you
Spoiler
Cast Shadow and sneak behind a pillar
[close]
Egther still pissed
Spoiler
Use Arctic Wind to blow his own fire to him. If you get to this point without having dispelled his protective magic circle, you're out of luck and he kills you. Otherwise congratulations, you've won the game!
[close]
[close]

Re: potions

Spoiler
Yes, that's normal. When you enter Egther's keep, he freezes you (right before throwing you down to the Fenris Wolf), and all your potions are frozen solid. A nasty trick on players who've stocked up for the boss battle!
[close]

Thaumaturge

QuoteBut that's just arguing why the game doesn't have to make Flame Aura protect against fire, it doesn't argue that it doesn't make sense that it does.
For the sake of not pursuing the same debate in two different threads, I've answered this in the "Completed Game Announcements" thread.

QuoteYou're mixing up the order and forgetting a few steps in the final magic battle.
Ah, my apologies -- I was doing it from memory, and so may well have forgotten some elements. ^^;

QuoteMr OUXX, I don't think you need to time the spells (apart from casting them quickly enough that you don't die, I mean you don't have to wait for an opening): it should always be one by Egther, one by you. You don't need to aim them at particular spots either (with maybe one or two exceptions, where it should be obvious).
I didn't mean to imply either -- if I did, then it was by mistake, and I apologise again. ^^;

For the sake of clarity, my solutions given above weren't meant to describe the entire sequence, including the player's responses to the various attacks; after all, Monsieur OUXX has, I think, figured the appropriate responses. Instead, I believe that I meant to describe the additional steps to be taken in the opportunity provided by the one spell that goes uncountered.

Shadow1000

I'm stuck in the same place as a few others have been.

Spoiler
I am playing as a sorceress. I have been robbed while sleeping. I've used sixth sense many times in the room as advised but there's no piece of cloak. I used sixth sense all over the town and found Regin's house and spoke to him in his house. I have no idea how to proceed. I've read every post on this topic and I'm still stuck. Does the exact phrase I used when confronting the thief make a difference? If it makes a difference, I've casted it over and over and it's at level 18. Does the level of the spell matter?

I came back and Regin left. I see that the different switches have different letters and I suppose I have to touch them in a certain sequence to spell something to make something happen. I have no idea what sequence the letters are to be arranged. I tried using sixth sense in this room and following the sequence of the little ball and that didn't help.

In addition this is a timed puzzle because you are both hungry and tired and no way to get food without money and sleeping just makes you die of hunger.

Edited to add that I did solve this and I'm on chapter 2 now.
[close]

Thank you

SHADOW

Mandle

Never mind...Figured it out I think...

Snarky

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 02/02/2014 03:01:11
Spoiler
I see that the different switches have different letters and I suppose I have to touch them in a certain sequence to spell something to make something happen. I have no idea what sequence the letters are to be arranged. I tried using sixth sense in this room and following the sequence of the little ball and that didn't help.
[close]

The sequence is a bit fiddly (some kind of problem with the reset, maybe?), but that's indeed how you do it.
Spoiler
It also helps if you have an idea of the word to spell out. You have some suspicion as to what this place is, right?
[close]
(Even though you've solved it, this might be helpful to others.)

QuoteIn addition this is a timed puzzle because you are both hungry and tired and no way to get food without money and sleeping just makes you die of hunger.

Actually...
Spoiler
There are several ways to get food without money. Sticking to Munarvagir, you can get free food from Sigurd every morning.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 02/02/2014 19:15:22
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 02/02/2014 03:01:11
Spoiler
I see that the different switches have different letters and I suppose I have to touch them in a certain sequence to spell something to make something happen. I have no idea what sequence the letters are to be arranged. I tried using sixth sense in this room and following the sequence of the little ball and that didn't help.
[close]

The sequence is a bit fiddly (some kind of problem with the reset, maybe?), but that's indeed how you do it.
Spoiler
It also helps if you have an idea of the word to spell out. You have some suspicion as to what this place is, right?
[close]
(Even though you've solved it, this might be helpful to others.)

Spoiler
The reason I had trouble was because I didn't realize that there were drawers on the dresser and I thought it was one bit item so I was clicking the top rather than the drawer.
[close]

QuoteIn addition this is a timed puzzle because you are both hungry and tired and no way to get food without money and sleeping just makes you die of hunger.

Actually...
Spoiler
There are several ways to get food without money. Sticking to Munarvagir, you can get free food from Sigurd every morning.
[close]

I've read on the forum that this is possible if you've helped someone but I don't know where that person is or how to help him. If that's no longer possible then I suppose this opportunity is lost.

SHADOW

Snarky

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 02/02/2014 19:30:02
I've read on the forum that this is possible if you've helped someone but I don't know where that person is or how to help him. If that's no longer possible then I suppose this opportunity is lost.

SHADOW

I'm pretty sure you already have.

Spoiler
Sigurd is the red-bearded innkeeper/mayor of Munarvagir who got knocked out by Thrivaldi the troll. I don't think it's possible to get to Munarvagir without helping him, at least not stay in his inn.
[close]

(And you don't actually need to sign your posts, your name is right next to them.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk