[MODULE NEEDED] SpriteLamp!

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Wed 14/05/2014 15:59:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Who's up to try reproducing that kind of algorithm in AGS with me? Even a simplified version of it would be deadly. Imagine your player carrying a torch around!!!!11!!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/finnmorgan/sprite-lamp-dynamic-lighting-for-2d-art

Calin Leafshade

Two problems.

1) AGS script is too slow in tight loops required for per-pixel processing

2) AGS does its game logic *after* userland scripts have run. This means thats it's impossible to edit the current sprite because the game logic might change it at the end of the frame.

Retro Wolf

Couldn't you use the mighty lua? ;)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Wed 14/05/2014 16:08:58
Two problems.

1) AGS script is too slow in tight loops required for per-pixel processing

2) AGS does its game logic *after* userland scripts have run. This means thats it's impossible to edit the current sprite because the game logic might change it at the end of the frame.

Not really problems imo! :D
1) If you look at my "Easymirrors" module (which is horribly, horribly slow) you can still manage to do perpixel processing on at least 1/4 of a 320x200 background without dropping below 40fps.

2) Who cares? ;) OK, I concede that the light source might be off a few pixels if the object has moved. No big deal. It will be up to the scripter to work with the limitations of the module! For static objects in the background it would already look deadly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk