MAGS January: "Something Cold, Something Burrowed, Something Pink" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Thu 02/01/2014 10:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

(download in a bundle)

Don't Drink the Pink by Hobo
Rex and Sissi in Pink Cult by Robin Gravel (Volcan)
Pink Sky by HanaIndiana
The Ice-Cream Mystery by Dmitry Stefantsov
A-Mused by LostTrainDude

Click on the game title to download.

Be sure to play all the entries before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

VOTE

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: 'Something Cold, Something Burrowed, Something Pink'

This month's guidelines were set by Captain D, selmiak, and Emont:

The game should have COLD as a major feature of the game in whatever way the game authors decide; the main element of the game should revolve around something that happens under ground (BURROWED) (be it the turtles or beeing buried alive or a cave adventure or whatever the author comes up with) and the color PINK should have an important role too.

Ending 31st January

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

CaptainD

I can say without any prejudice that this is THE MOST AWESOMMMEST MAGS THEME EVA! :-D

Ghost

That means... it would be VIABLE to make a game about the colour pink going underground during the cold war so that Chuck Norris doesn't find it, desperately trying to make a safe outpost down there?

I'll throw my hands up in the air a little, yes?

\o/

DoorKnobHandle

So what's pink and 'burrows' when it's cold... Hm....

Spoiler

8=======>
[close]

Dmitry Stefantsov

Dualnames

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Thu 02/01/2014 12:38:36
So what's pink and 'burrows' when it's cold... Hm....

Spoiler

8=======>
[close]

Imma report you so hard-on right now.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

CaptainD

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 02/01/2014 12:32:19
That means... it would be VIABLE to make a game about the colour pink going underground during the cold war so that Chuck Norris doesn't find it, desperately trying to make a safe outpost down there?

More than viable!  Do it, I say! :=

BTW you get bonus points if your game features the all-important inventory item Pink Socks

Ghost

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 02/01/2014 18:43:32
More than viable!  Do it, I say! :=

Pink Socks? In a game featuring Chuck Norris*?

Intriguing. So very intriguing.

__
* By canon** Oceanspirit Dennis' mum, no less!

__
** Well, what passes as canon here. You know. Thingy.

HanaIndiana

Dmitry Stefantsov

Actually, there is -40 C right now where I live, so there isn't any problems with the inspiration for the COLD part of the competition, I guess :)

selmiak

Smells like another Paige Rowsdower adventure in Canada, eh? ;-D
Almost one week over, has anyone decided to stop praising the (indeed) marvellous theme and started to actually work on something?

Volcan

I need to work on my story if I can enter in this mags.

Something cold, something burrowed, something pink.

It's tempting for me.

HanaIndiana

I have started working on something! Is it customary to share progress and such? Would be fun to see what others are doing.
I'm learning AGS as I go along, so if I manage to come up with a working game, that will be winning enough.
Just kidding, it won't. Well, maybe a little.

CaptainD

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Tue 07/01/2014 18:05:23
I have started working on something! Is it customary to share progress and such?

Yes, absolutely!  Screenshots, plot ideas, whatever. :grin:

Ibispi

All pigs deserve to burn in hell
a work in progress

Plot: Main character wakes up one day to find that he has been transformed into a pig.
I won't say anything else, except that I've finished the whole story and I'm working on backgrounds, sprites and puzzles. The image represents the first room in the game and the main character.

Update: I'm working on snow effect in the game, which is quite an easy errand thanks to SnowRain plugin by Scorpiorus.

Atelier, I was wandering if it is enough that my main character is pink for the pink side of the game?

Good luck to everyone else participating!:)

selmiak

Ibispi

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 07/01/2014 22:13:34
If the pig wears some pink socks it's quite pink then...
It doesn't wear pink socks unfortunately. :~(
I mean, his feet are just one pixel large you could imagine he wears socks, right? :=

HanaIndiana

Cool! I'm still working on graphics.. that's the one area I'm absolutely new at.
But I have a story written, and puzzles (though I'm sure there will be tweaking). I'm trying to keep it simple for myself.

I'm calling it 'Pink Sky'. You play a Moon Engineer, in the vast coldness of SPAAAaaaCE!

Below is the first room I worked on and eventually had to call it quits.  I'm very quickly realizing how absolutely bad I am at creating graphics. This screenshot will probably be the best looking one, if I want enough time to finish this.  But I AM learning the ins and outs of AGS.

Volcan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk