SOLVED: Grass effect

Started by johanvepa, Tue 28/01/2014 21:55:08

Previous topic - Next topic

johanvepa

There must be a simple and straightforward solution for this one. Only I can't really see it. Not with my limited experience.

I'd like Ego to walk through grass, with his feet "sinking into" (somewhat hidden) by the grass. Of course, I can create objects resembling tufts of grass in neat little rows, then place a lot of them in the room with their baselines set, but it still takes a lot and lot of objects and baselines to create a good effect.

Is there a simpler way?

selmiak

a different view for your character where you either paint the grass on or remove parts from his feet maybe?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 28/01/2014 21:59:51
remove parts from his feet maybe?
that's what i did for my character walking in the snow. i created an additional character with the exact same sprites, but the bottom of them was cut off.
Additionally, I create an AGS object in the room, and I make it follow the character's feet (by updating its position in rep_exec). That object has a fuzzy/irregular sprite, to hide the sharp horizontal bottom limit of my cropped character.

Snarky

Out of curiosity, Mr OUXX, why not just put an irregular edge on the bottom of your sprites in the first place?

The best way to go about it probably depends a bit on your graphics style and the resolution (and the exact effect you want). In a 320x200 game, you're probably not seeing much grass detail anyway, so just cropping off (with a "grass edge") the parts of the sprites that are meant to be hidden should do. If you want your character to wade through knee-high grass, you might want to do sprites for the grass around the character in order to show it moving. If you're working in a higher resolution (and tall grass), you might need to have some objects placed on the scene so the way the bottom of the character is obscured looks consistent.

johanvepa

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 28/01/2014 21:59:51
a different view for your character where you either paint the grass on or remove parts from his feet maybe?

This was just what I was looking for. And eye-wateringly simple.
And thank you for additional ideas, OUXX ans Snarky.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk