March Tune Contest: Going West (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

Started by DrewCCU, Sat 01/03/2014 16:17:51

Previous topic - Next topic

DrewCCU

My community band's next concert is themed around the Wild West. I thought this would make an interesting theme for this contest. Open fields, vast mountain ranges, cowboys on horses ... how can it not inspire great music?!

Look at the images below and compose a piece that describes how they make you feel. The piece should be at least 2 minutes long and you may use any instrumentation.

THE DEADLINE IS MARCH 16th 23rd

Happy writing, ya'll!

"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Doc_Savage

I hope I can find some time to enter this one on time.

DrewCCU

If at least one other person can show interest in entering this contest, I will extend the deadline one week.
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Doc_Savage

It is a great theme but I will not be able to make it. To busy. Thank Drew for your creativity

Eric

I just need to carve out an hour over the next few days to get something in. I've got something in the works, though!

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Myshkin

I will hopefully get something done in the next couple of days... nice theme!

JasonB

Here's my entry.  Its pretty sloppy right now but there are some ideas in there I'm proud to present.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-b/ags-western-competition-tune

Myshkin

OK done! When I look at these pictures I think more of Sergio Leone films than John Ford films, but rather than just rip off Ennio Morricone I tried to do a more electronic themed piece, with the idea being something like "Vangelis plays Morricone" :)

So here's a piece I imaginatively call CyberPunkWestern

https://soundcloud.com/edwinmontgomery/cyberpunkwestern

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

JasonB

Emont, that's awesome!  The whole thing is totally ominous.  I really love that scary chromatic slide at 1:18!

DrewCCU

I'm happy to see you guys put forth some amazing entries! Here are my thoughts:

Dualnames: When you said "I've barely scratched the interface with this." I have to agree. What you have there is beautiful to listen to and I can really hear how it could be developed into an amazing piece! If you had the time extend this and add more to it, it would be a piece that I would be happy to arrange for my band to play!

JasonB: Right from the start, you put me in the western mood. It has a spaghetti western sound that is not too over the top/cliche. It's like spaghetti western meets modern/contemporary music. It's very satisfying to listen to. And, I love the instrumentation! The horses and whistle are a nice touch!

Emont: Again, another great tune that captures the west with a modern sound. I'm impressed how you were able to use synthesized instrumentation and still capture the west. In fact, you use a lot of clever instrumentation and techniques throughout the entire piece. It is really impressive.

Final Thoughts:

Dualnames, as I mentioned: I liked the sound you came up with and it, to me, did capture the images. I just wish it had been developed a little more.

JasonB and Emont had more similar styles and while Emont's piece was very well orchestrated and impressive, I think JasonB's piece is my favorite for this competition. It was a very hard decision, but there can only be one winner and the WINNER IS JASONB.

Congratulations, JasonB. The next competition is all yours!

And thanks again to all the entries! It was fun hearing them!
-John Williams

Dualnames

Thanks for the nice words, I believe it was indeed a hard choice/dilemma between both pieces, and regardless of choice, it would feel unsatisfactory to the quality of both entries. Again congrats, was fun partecipating.

Myshkin

Congrats JasonB! And thanks everyone for the comments, this is the first new thing I've written in a while so I appreciate the positive feedback ;-D

JasonB

Hey guys,

Thanks for the nice comments.  I have to agree that the other two entries were both unique and awesome.  I'll get to thinking about the next theme and get it posted ASAP.

Thanks!
Jason

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk