Default game 32-bit color mode.

Started by rozoviykefir, Mon 03/02/2014 02:00:13

Previous topic - Next topic

rozoviykefir

I start default game and change at general settings color mode to 32-bit, and iconbar become to this.

If change back at 8-16 bit, it becames normal. Why it happens?

rozoviykefir

And if change default graphic driver to direct3d 9, it becomes this:

I try recreate game, nothing happens.

Ghost

When you change the colour depth of your game sprites tend to get messed up. This is because the modes actually work differently- only 32bit, for example, allows for alpha blending. As you changed your colour depth, the sprite colour depth was changed too, messing up the magic pink.

And this is why it is quite important to decide what colour depth you want before you start work on a project- changing it does force you to reimport the sprites.

Basically:
8bit is almost obsolete. It allows for 256 colours game-wide, and that is a limit few people want to put upon themselves.
16bit (high colour) is the middle ground and allows for a great range of colours. Very fine gradients will sometimes look grainy though.
32bit is "true colour" and virtually gives you every colour there is, plus the ability to use alpha transparency.

It doesn't really matter in a low-res game if you use 16 or 32bit. The first is the all-purpose, the latter the deluxe choice. The important thing is to keep in mind that you first start a project, then set screen resolution and colour depth, and then STICK to it ;)

Khris

The default game's sprites are ancient and still 8-bit / 256 colors. Thus if you change the game's color depth to 32-bit, they turn almost black in-game. A quick fix is after changing to 32-bit, right-click them in the Sprite Manager, click "Copy to clipboard", then right-click them again and click "Overwrite from Clipboard" (or whatever it's called). This will force a re-import @ 32bit.

Other possible solutions:
-a color depth of 32-bit is only necessary for alpha transparency; that should usually entail better graphics, which means the sprites won't be used anyway.
-ditch the old Sierra interface and use a Verb Coin or two button interface instead.

rozoviykefir

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 03/02/2014 02:31:48

It doesn't really matter in a low-res game if you use 16 or 32bit. The first is the all-purpose, the latter the deluxe choice. The important thing is to keep in mind that you first start a project, then set screen resolution and colour depth, and then STICK to it ;)

Actually matter. I with pleasure used native resolution of default game, but native resolution of my monitor is 1080. Default window of game is really small and it cant be resized.

Quote from: Khris on Mon 03/02/2014 02:33:52

-ditch the old Sierra interface and use a Verb Coin or two button interface instead.

I start Verb Coin template, and I dont understand this (main character not even walk). Problem is I watch videotutorials where describe default game. And there no else another good tutors at internet.

Ghost

You misread me: You can use whatever you like. Your choice does not matter. What matters is that you need to stick to it because otherwise you're making things harder for yourself. ;)

Many people who can't run AGS games fullscreen on their monitor use a SCALING filter- this can be done in the same setup window where you select the driver. It helps a lot to blow up that 320x240 window with a x3 filter.

Quote from: rozoviykefir on Mon 03/02/2014 03:51:10
I start Verb Coin template, and I dont understand this (main character not even walk). Problem is I watch videotutorials where describe default game. And there no else another good tutors at internet.
The verb coin is not the easiest template to use, I agree, but you ARE on the AGS forums here. Every question you ask will eventually be answered with competence. (nod) See that gun Khris' avatar is holding? It shoots code!

Khris

Yes, the native size of your game is determined by your graphics style, not what happens to be your current desktop resolution.
For pixel art (think Monkey Island 1 + 2), use 320. For drawn or pre-rendered art, you'll want to go higher.
To resize the window, compile the game (F7), then choose "Run game setup" or similar from the menu. Select an appropriate filter (x2, x3, x4) and click "Save and run".

Your character won't walk because you probably haven't drawn a walkable area. Did you take a look at the help file / manual yet? Just press F1 while in the AGSEditor. It contains a tutorial that will introduce you to all the basics, you don't have to rely on the youtube one.

rozoviykefir

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 03/02/2014 04:02:41
You misread me: You can use whatever you like. Your choice does not matter. What matters is that you need to stick to it because otherwise you're making things harder for yourself. ;)

Many people who can't run AGS games fullscreen on their monitor use a SCALING filter- this can be done in the same setup window where you select the driver. It helps a lot to blow up that 320x240 window with a x3 filter.

Quote from: rozoviykefir on Mon 03/02/2014 03:51:10
The verb coin is not the easiest template to use, I agree, but you ARE on the AGS forums here. Every question you ask will eventually be answered with competence. (nod) See that gun Khris' avatar is holding? It shoots code!

Yes, but after construct 2 I feel myself like invalid at ags. It's sad.

But I solved problem with replaces textures of icons. Still scierra template awfull. But 9verbMI template not work at 640-400. For pixel art I use photoshop brush, where 1 pixel square = 4 pixels. With this, I can start game at window 640-400, but it will look like 320-200 resized.

Quote from: Khris on Mon 03/02/2014 04:35:55
Yes, the native size of your game is determined by your graphics style, not what happens to be your current desktop resolution.
For pixel art (think Monkey Island 1 + 2), use 320. For drawn or pre-rendered art, you'll want to go higher.
To resize the window, compile the game (F7), then choose "Run game setup" or similar from the menu. Select an appropriate filter (x2, x3, x4) and click "Save and run".

Yes. But its not comfortable - build exe every time, when you want just a check. And its not comfortable run game like pixelquest at fullscreen.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: rozoviykefir on Mon 03/02/2014 05:01:17
Yes. But its not comfortable - build exe every time, when you want just a check. And its not comfortable run game like pixelquest at fullscreen.
You don't have to rebuild the exe every time to setup a graphics filter. Do that once, then use F5 (test game), and it will use same configuration.

Khris

Quote from: rozoviykefir on Mon 03/02/2014 05:01:17For pixel art I use photoshop brush, where 1 pixel square = 4 pixels. With this, I can start game at window 640-400, but it will look like 320-200 resized.
If you're actually doing this, stop immediately and start over at native 320. (wrong)
Like we already explained twice, you can scale up the resolution (it will look like 320-200 resized). With a 1920x1080 desktop, you can run a 320 game at anything from x2 to x5 (1600x1000). Or use x2 or x4 to run it fullscreen.

Regarding the switch from Construct 2: AGS can be a bit quirky, and one reason is that it started out as a DOS program. Don't expect to master it after a week, and you'll be fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk