February Tune Contest: Tunes of Champions!

Started by Eric, Sun 09/02/2014 20:23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

With the last competition, Doc_Savage asked us to spotlight a nation with a tune, using the instruments of that country to represent them in song. As we began the Winter Olympics this week, I thought how appropriate that was as a theme.

To continue celebrating the Olympics, instead of focusing on the countries this time, I'd like you to compose a tune to represent a particular Winter Olympic event. For some, this might be easy, as they already use songs as part of the form of the competition -- figure skating, for instance. For others, this might prove a greater challenge -- what is the best way to represent skeleton, curling, or halfpipe through music?

Entries are due Tuesday, February 25! Make sure to identify which event for which you've composed your tune!

DrewCCU

Great theme! I will definitely try to enter.

Here is my entry:

The Ski Jumper's Fanfare

This is a short little piece but it's made up of 4 main parts: Prerun, The Inrun, Takeoff/Flight, and The Landing
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Doc_Savage

DrewCCU

"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Eric

Less than a week left. Will we see any other challengers?

Eric

Congratulations to Drew. It's technically true to say he wins by default, but I know his piece would have been a strong contender for first place no matter who else had entered.

Your turn, Drew!

DrewCCU

Thanks! lol. It sucks to have no competition, but maybe next time. I'll come up with a theme and post it ASAP.
-John Williams

Doc_Savage

I was working on something but I wasn't satisfied with the end result :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk