AGS 3.3.0 final

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 16/02/2014 18:05:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

AGS 3.3.0 released

Please, read "Upgrading to AGS 3.3" topic in the manual that comes with this version before upgrading your game project to 3.3.0! It contains important information on few potential problems you may encounter.

Latest update: 29th July 2014
(includes hotfix 1 to the game compilation that could break if you moved item folders in project tree)
(includes hotfix 2 which fixes couple of minor bugs)
(includes update 1 with properly working letterbox and pillarbox graphic modes, the ones with side & top/bottom borders)
(includes hotfix 3 which fixes few more rare bugs, introduced between first 3.3.0 and update1)

Backup of the previous version (hotfix 2):
Spoiler

This version is a product of collaborative work of the following people (who worked and contributed in different time, but whose work was used either directly or as a reference to make this release):
Spoiler

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
  Cristian Morales Vega
  Francesco Ariis
  Gilad Shaham
  Ivan Mogilko
  Janet Gilbert
  Jochen Schleu
  Michael Rittenhouse
  Paul Wilkinson
  Piotr Wieczorek
  rofl0r
  Scott Baker
  Shawn R. Walker
  Steve McCrea
  Steven Poulton
  Sunit Das
  Tobias Hansen
  Tom Vandepoele
  Tzach Shabtay
[close]
...and of course Chris Jones, original creator of AGS :).

For information on upgrading your game project to 3.3.0 please check "Upgrading to AGS 3.3" topic in the manual.

Changes since version 3.2.1:

* Editor UI now features docking panels. See video demonstration on how to use them.
* Project tree now features folders for characters, dialogs, inventory items, guis, rooms, scripts and views.  The "Sort room by number" menu command now sorts rooms within folders.
* In project tree respective script body and header files are now grouped under one item.
* Project tree now supports drag & drop operations to move items. "Move up/down" commands are removed from context menu.
* Added a "Find all usages" context menu item to find all usages for characters, dialogs, views, inventory items and global variables in script. NOTE: this only searches for script name, not numeric ID.
* Added a "Navigate (in tree)" context menu item for almost all document tabs, which navigates to their node on the project tree.
* In script editor, pressing Ctrl+G will now open the "Goto line" dialog. The shortcut to open global script has changed to Ctrl+Shift+G (and shortcut to open the global header - to Ctrl+Shift+H for consistency).
* Added a "Replace sprite(s) from source" context menu command in Sprite Manager.
* Added a "Browse" button to the "Create in folder" field in the Start New Game wizard.
* Sprite Import window is now resizable.
* Improved how autocomplete list in script refreshes its contents.
* Editor no longer allows to create more game items than engine supports (fonts, cursors, dialogs and inventory items), which could result in crashes in Editor or running game.
* Fixed incorrect selection of a new sprite, imported while the "Select sprite" dialog is open.
* Fixed sprite lookup in folders, differing only by name case.
* Fixed the script editor sometimes mistakenly notified that script was changed externally after it was saved in the editor.
* Fixed overlapping labels in the Editor Preferences dialog.

* Increased maximal Font number from 15 to 30.
* Implemented proper alpha blender for blending two 32-bit sprites with alpha channels. Added new option for gui alpha blending which turns the proper blender on. For the general cases (such as DrawingSurface.DrawImage function) a new setting is added in "Visual" group, named "Sprite alpha rendering style".
* Added "DialogOptionsRenderingInfo.HasAlphaChannel" property that lets you enable alpha channel for custom dialog option surface.
* The "Old-style game-wide speech animation speed" game setting in "Backwards compatibility" group is replaced with two settings in "Dialog" group: "Use game-wide speech animation delay" (switch) and "Game-wide speech animation delay" (value).
* Added "Translated" property to ListBox gui control, which forces engine to translate ListBox items.
* Added "Dialog.SetHasOptionBeenChosen" function which lets you to set or reset "option been chosen" flag.
* Added eKeyNone constant which lets you to set "no/undefined key" (whenever eKeyCode type is required).
* Added SkipSpeechStyle enum to define speech skipping mode instead of using bare numbers.
* Added two more options for the speech skip style: "skip by key only" and "skip by mouse only" (no timer).
* Added new Speech class which groups several speech-related properties.
This renders some of the previously existing variables and functions obsolete:
Spoiler

Deprecated function/variableNew property
SetVoiceModeSpeech.VoiceMode
SetSkipSpeechSpeech.SkipStyle
SetSpeechStyleSpeech.Style
game.close_mouth_end_speech_timeSpeech.AnimationStopTimeMargin
game.speech_text_alignSpeech.TextAlignment
game.skip_speech_specific_keySpeech.SkipKey
game.talkanim_speedSpeech.GlobalSpeechAnimationDelay
[close]
* Added Speech.CustomPortraitPlacement, Speech.PortraitXOffset and Speech.PortraitY properties which let you to customize the position of speech portraits on screen.
* Added Speech.DisplayPostTimeMs property that makes speech portraits and/or text stay on screen some more time after speech was finished playing.
* Added Speech.UseGlobalSpeechAnimationDelay and Speech.GlobalSpeechAnimationDelay properties that let you to dynamically enforce and alter game-wide speech animation speed.
* SetMusicMasterVolume legacy script function now accepts volume values between -210 and 100 (was between 0 and 100). This may be used as a workaround for guaranteed music mute if using old audio system.
* Fixed "savegameindex[]" array was declared with incorrect size in script (20, while it must be 50).

* Engine can now load and run old games made with AGS 2.5 and higher (the level of compatibility may vary).
* Enhanced winsetup by moving many options under "Advanced" section and removing "Replay" option which was not usable for years.
* Reimplemented alternate display modes, now side-borders and top/bottom borders should work properly for all game resolutions.
* Added x5, x6, x7 and x8 scaling filters, as well as "Max nearest-neighbour filter" option in setup which automatically finds maximal supported scaling filter for your screen.
* The game automatically fallbacks to Software graphics driver if the Hardware one could not run or initialize gfx mode for any reason.
* Windows version of the engine will now write crash dump on "out of memory error" to help diagnose the situation if this occured due bug in the engine.
* Improved character walking animation at 60%-80% scaling.
* Game.ChangeTranslation() script function no longer causes game to quit if the translation file belongs to different game or has unknown format.
* Fixed inventory items and cursor crosshair with alpha channel not being drawn properly.
* Fixed side-borders that were not applied properly at newer (larger) widescreen resolutions.
* Fixed crash that occured when ListBox.GetItemAtLocation() is called from repeatedly_execute_always() just before the list box is about to be drawn on screen for the first time.
* Fixed custom dialog options clickable area by correcting its horizontal coordinate range.
* Fixed error which took place when user restored a game saved with background music playing, in case the music is not found in resources anymore.
* Fixed audio behavior during cutscenes (error caused audio volume to reset to default). Also AudioChannel.Volume will now return correct value when called from skipped cutscene.
* Stopped play.close_mouth_end_speech_time variable from making effect in voice mode and Sierra-style speech (which it wasn't supposed to do).
* Fixed return value of the AudioChannel.PositionMs for MOD/XM clips;
* Fixed division by zero which occured if there was a 1px tall walkable area (a precisely straight horizontal line) with vector scaling applied.
* Fixed OGG speech ending prematurely if the audio file size is a multiple of 32 KB.
* Fixed bug that could let user to load corrupted savedgame, which in turn could cause more trouble.

Some optional engine features:

* Log output. Enabled either in setup file, by putting "log=1" line under "[misc]" category, or "--log" parameter if running from command line; also "--no-log" command line parameter overrides setup file and disables logging.
Log file is called "ags.log" and it is saved in "Users\<Name>\Saved Games\.ags" on Vista, Win7 and Win8, and in "Documents and Settings\<Username>\My Documents\My Saved Games\.ags" on WinXP.
Other platforms have their respected paths, e.g. Linux will write to "$HOME/.ags".
* Threaded audio support. This feature has both pros and drawbacks, and is not currently recommended to be used for your project on desktop platforms by default and without testing. You may enable it in setup file by manually adding a "threaded=1" line under "sound" section.
* Added three "overriding" options for setup file:
Code: text

[override]
multitasking=0/1
os=dos/win/linux/mac
upscale=0/1

Multitasking - overrides game's multitasking mode. Useful if game has lengthy unskippable sequences. Keep in mind that this will lock game in the given mode and make it ignore script commands that change it.
Os - overrides System.OperatingSystem return value. Useful for ports when game disables some feature for the system because it thinks it's not supported.
Upscale - lets to run lo-res (320x200/240) games in "hi-res" mode (640x400/480). May be useful for running old pre-3.1.0 games with new interpreter.
* For every "long" command line argument the traditional GNU form (--arg) is supported, for example "--windowed", "--letterbox", etc.

* Additions to Editor Plugin API:

* Added property for getting playable character.
* Added property for getting ScriptsAndHeaders collection.
* Added methods for refreshing project's tree.
* Added method for refreshing property grid.
* Added methods for controlling output panel.

selmiak

WOW, COOL! CONGRATULATIONS! ;-D :-D ;-D

Billbis

Congratulations!
This version is fantastic. Well done community!

miguel

Thank you so much!
Congratulations!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Crosco

abstauber

Great show! Thanks and congrats!
Hooray for the first post-Jones release.

DoorKnobHandle

Nice work, great to see this release! I'll give 3.3.0 a try and finally update from 3.2.1 for my next project, let's see how stable it is! :p

Gribbler

Congratulations on the release! Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Crimson Wizard

I would also like to thank everyone who tried out and tested the Beta, your help was invaluable!

dbuske

Do I need the extra dx9 dll's for this version of AGS. I put them in the documents game directory.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Joseph DiPerla

Great work everyone! Thanks for the release.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: dbuske on Mon 17/02/2014 02:55:50
Do I need the extra dx9 dll's for this version of AGS. I put them in the documents game directory.
You need DirectX 9 dlls installed to make D3D9 renderer to work. But, first, this is optional, because you may use software graphics (DirectDraw 5). Second, you don't put them in the game directory, but usually in Windows/System32 directory. Also, if you install them properly as a part of DirectX 9 package they will be put on a right place automatically:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

EDIT: Now that I read same question in the Calin's AGSBlend plugin thread, I begin to wonder what specific dlls do you have in mind? Have the AGSBlend.dll required some extra dlls to work?

Radiant

Ghost

Congratulations Team BlueCup! \o/

kconan

Kudos to Crimson Wizard and everyone who spent time developing 3.3.0 Final.  Your hard work and efforts are far from unnoticed, and very appreciated by AGSers all over the World!

Snarky

Woo-hoo! Congratulations and thanks to all who've worked on this, and to Crimson Wizard in particular. Outstanding effort!

I've been using the betas and RCs for long enough that this doesn't feel to me like a major update any more, but the leap from 3.2.1 is really quite significant.

deltamatrix

Congrats! A superb release :-D
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

AnasAbdin

Congratulations! Thanks a lot for all your effort and time :)

selmiak

I'm in love with the window docking and the correct rendering of the alphachannels of PNGs in GUIs already. Great work Crimson and contributors!
Is there a manual entry somewhere on what the different blending modes in genset do with the alpha transparency on PNGs on GUIs? Didn't find anything. I might as well play around with it some more later...

hedgefield

Awesome update, some really cool features! I was just lamenting yesterday the fact that I had to reimport 23 walkcycle sprites one by one. And here comes reimport from source!
Just sad to see there's no custom resolution support. I'm building a game in 1280x720 with the Skygoblin build so I can't upgrade to this yet. Any plans to include that in future releases?

[EDIT]I was too excited, I see the thread for the custom resolution build ha, cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk