The Zero Theorem

Started by selmiak, Sun 23/02/2014 01:17:54

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

So Terry Gilliam made a new film. And it's in cinemas, not on kickstarter \o/

Qohen Leth is an eccentric and reclusive computer genius who lives in an Orwellian corporate world and suffers from existential angst. He waits for a phone call explaining the meaning of life. Under the instruction of a shadowy figure known only as "Management", Qohen works to solve the "Zero Theorem", a mathematical formula derived from Big Crunch theory.

The fate of the universe as a black hole singularity is purported to show that life has no purpose. Qohen's work in the burnt-out chapel that serves as his home is interrupted by visits from Bainsley, a seductive woman, and Bob, the teenage son of Management.

funkey trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyMSRRNHRos

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 23/02/2014 01:17:54
So Terry Gilliam made a new film. And it's in cinemas, not on kickstarter \o/

Qohen Leth is an eccentric and reclusive computer genius who lives in an Orwellian corporate world and suffers from existential angst. He waits for a phone call explaining the meaning of life. Under the instruction of a shadowy figure known only as "Management", Qohen works to solve the "Zero Theorem", a mathematical formula derived from Big Crunch theory.

The fate of the universe as a black hole singularity is purported to show that life has no purpose. Qohen's work in the burnt-out chapel that serves as his home is interrupted by visits from Bainsley, a seductive woman, and Bob, the teenage son of Management.

funkey trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyMSRRNHRos

Sounds like it could almost be set in the same universe as "Brazil"....He conceived it originally as "Brazil 2" perhaps???

Anyways, I LOVE Gilliam's films so will be checking this out for sure!!! Cheers for the heads up!

ThreeOhFour

For a minute I thought this might be about this unfinished AGS project that I always wanted to play.

Dualnames

All these years I've been waiting for something close to Brazil or 12 Monkeys, the fact that the trailer focuses on that, makes me hopeful. Huge fan of Brazil, repeatedly stated as my favorite movie http://www.hardydev.com/2011/05/25/brazil-1985-review/

I've seen documentaries about it, read stuff about it, seen concept art, spent entire life to find something remotely close to it. I'm stoked, I hope the film delivers.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 23/02/2014 03:12:48
All these years I've been waiting for something close to Brazil or 12 Monkeys, the fact that the trailer focuses on that, makes me hopeful. Huge fan of Brazil, repeatedly stated as my favorite movie
Neither of these movies did I find any promise in, especially Brazil. I actually never heard of Brazil until someone on here had been praising it about a year ago, so I figured it was worth a download. It wasn't. 12 Monkeys is OKAY but both are very dreamy with such a distorted perspective of the world. In my opinion, they're both kind of like how a child might view society or normal encounters, as like a spacey alien's view of it all.

kconan

I really like Brazil and 12 Monkeys, though Time Bandits is by far my favorite Terry Gilliam movie.

Eric

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 23/02/2014 04:58:41both are very dreamy with such a distorted perspective of the world

Maybe dystopian fiction is just not your thing?

Mandle

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 23/02/2014 04:58:41
both are very dreamy with such a distorted perspective of the world.

You probably won't like any of Gilliam's films I would say, because what you just described is pretty much his signature style ;)

Not everyone's cup of tea I'll admit...

Mandle

Quote from: Eric on Sun 23/02/2014 05:07:06
Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 23/02/2014 04:58:41both are very dreamy with such a distorted perspective of the world

Maybe dystopian fiction is just not your thing?

ROFL! The exact same quote and we posted at the same time (I had to edit afterwards because I messed up the quote brackets but that's all I changed.)

Armageddon

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 23/02/2014 04:58:41
Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 23/02/2014 03:12:48
All these years I've been waiting for something close to Brazil or 12 Monkeys, the fact that the trailer focuses on that, makes me hopeful. Huge fan of Brazil, repeatedly stated as my favorite movie
Neither of these movies did I find any promise in, especially Brazil. I actually never heard of Brazil until someone on here had been praising it about a year ago, so I figured it was worth a download. It wasn't. 12 Monkeys is OKAY but both are very dreamy with such a distorted perspective of the world. In my opinion, they're both kind of like how a child might view society or normal encounters, as like a spacey alien's view of it all.
You may have watched the theatrical version of Brazil which sucks a ton. Get the American 131-minute cut.

Andail

12 monkeys is one of my top ten movies all time.

Having said that, I have no expectations on Zero Theorem, really.

Anian

Watched Zero theorem couple of weeks ago at a festival.

It's okay. If you want Terry Gilliam, you'll certainly get it, very Gilliamish, although nothing like 12 monkeys, it's much closer to Brazil (troubling establishment etc.). The only problem is it doesn't really go anywhere, in the end (and this is not really a spolier) nothing is really solved and you don't really know what happened. At a few points it seemed like stuff might get really interesting though.
And it's not that it gets too much into it's own philosophy, in the end even the villain says it all means basically nothing. There actually is no philosophy, no real explanation of what the ending is supposed to mean.

The female character/love interest has a real pixie dream girl thing going on, so much hitting the trope, that it kind of bothered me a bit as well.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Ali

Gilliam is my favourite director, and visually this looks stronger than his recent films, so I'm looking forward to it.

I think one of the things that people find difficult with Gilliam is that his films are full of imperfections; they're often rambling, semi-coherent, weirdly paced and visually inconsistent. But to me, that is Gilliam's genius. The films are full of flashes of brilliance which you don't get with competent, well made craftspersonship.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk