Point and click Grim Fandango

Started by Esseb, Thu 06/03/2014 17:42:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Esseb

Someone more clever than I has added a classic point and click interface to Grim Fandango using the ResidualVM engine.

Video preview here. Anyone here tried this yet?

I suppose the next step now is for someone to add keyboard control to Full Throttle.

Andail

Cool, this might actually mean I can finish this game. I never liked the original interface.

Armageddon

I never understood why everyone ragged on the controls. It's exactly like Resident Evil and perfectly responsive and easy. Cool that someone could mod point and click into it though.

Stupot

I don't particularly hate the keyboard controls but do much prefer point 'n' clicking.  I too haven't actually finished the game. I'm tempted to start again with a mouse :-)

monkey424

Andail, Stupot+
It's an absolute disgrace that you haven't finished Grim Fandango! For shame! (wrong)
Completing that game should be compulsory for joining the AGS community. In fact I'm sure there was a question in the entrance exam that required extensive knowledge of that game in its entirety.

Andail

Yeah I'm a bit ashamed. A lot, actually:-[

AGA

We forced CJ to buy Grim Fandango at the first Brittens in 2004.  Pretty sure he still hasn't played it though.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: monkey424 on Fri 07/03/2014 08:49:20
Completing that game should be compulsory for joining the AGS community. In fact I'm sure there was a question in the entrance exam that required extensive knowledge of that game in its entirety.

Then you better shoot me, I've never even played it.. ever..

Paul Franzen

Man. I might need to give this game another shot now. The cumbersome controls really did put a damper on the whole experience for me. (Either that or I just have no taste.)
The Beard in the Mirror (formerly testgame) - Out now on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/385840
Other games I've worked on: http://paulmfranzen.com/games/

Chicky

Quote from: Andail on Fri 07/03/2014 05:05:19
Cool, this might actually mean I can finish this game.

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 07/03/2014 07:37:36
I too haven't actually finished the game. I'm tempted to start again with a mouse :-)

Quote from: AGA on Fri 07/03/2014 13:32:29
We forced CJ to buy Grim Fandango at the first Brittens in 2004.  Pretty sure he still hasn't played it though.

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Fri 07/03/2014 13:46:26
Then you better shoot me, I've never even played it.. ever..

Quote from: Paul Franzen on Fri 07/03/2014 14:59:27
Man. I might need to give this game another shot now.

This thread makes me sad! Then more sad when I remember I haven't played Resonance :sealed:

arj0n

Quote from: Andail on Fri 07/03/2014 05:05:19
Cool, this might actually mean I can finish this game. I never liked the original interface.
Exactly!

Gilbert

Quote from: monkey424 on Fri 07/03/2014 08:49:20
Completing that game should be compulsory for joining the AGS community.
* Iceboty V7000a never played this game.
* Iceboty V7000a leaves...

Tramponline

I envy you guys.
Being able to play Grim Fandango for the 'first' time and all that.
Seriously, I wish I could...once more :-\.

Definitely going to try out the point & click version though.;-D

Myinah

I just wish I could play Grim Fandango without it crashing horribly. I'm using all the patches, launchers, and emulators that are supposed to make it run okay, but it glitches out way too often to be playable. I kind of wish they would release a HD remastered version or a "classic" version that went all 2D pixel art. I'd even settle for a tablet port. It was such a good game I'd love to play it without it going crazy. 

Ben X

Does Residual not work for you, Myinah? Worked a treat for me.

As for an HD remake, a fan project is ongoing but currently stalled, waiting for more artists to contribute: http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.co.uk

Anian

Grim Fandango is game in which you embrace the flaws for the far better experience that stays with you in a long run.

There's actually a part I almost always use a saved game for, because the puzzle requires the most perfect timing and a bit of luck (it involves and elevator and a forklift), everything else that might be bad just faded away.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Myinah

Sadly residual hasnt really worked that much magic for me and it was still constantly crashing. I remember being upset about it, installing fallout three and then that was constantly crashing as well so I had a little huff with my pc and went and became solely a DS gamer for about a month lol.

CaptainD

This is an interesting idea, but I didn't find the original interface that bad tbh.  (Though I also never understood why there was quite so much hatred for Escape from Monkey Island either!)  Sure I'd prefer point and click, but once you got used to it the controls weren't so bad.  Infinitely better than Tales of Monkey Island's quasi mouse control, anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk