AGS Awards 2013 Ceremony discussion

Started by Kiira, Mon 10/03/2014 09:27:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyz

I'm not going to get involved in the whole discussion though I have read it. I just want to share a piece of advice, a philosophy I live by that has greatly improved the quality of my life (also being the subject of countless jokes).

"Do not feel offended by what people say, feel offended by what people mean."

I hope that has been of help, it has been to me at least.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Tabata

Quote from: Wyz on Tue 11/03/2014 11:55:09
Bravo!

Yeppoh

Quote from: Wyz on Tue 11/03/2014 11:55:09

Truth.

And if I might add something that also helped me :

"Don't look for meanings that never existed in the first place."

NickyNyce

As long as AGS and the community evolves to be better and better, mission accomplished. Some people voiced their opinions and that's great. That's what a community does. We move on from this and do what's best for the community and AGS. Enough of the, he said, she said stuff. The goal here is to keep evolving into what's best for the community.

DN defended his actions, there's nothing wrong with that. He and some others saw it as a joke and some didn't. So let us all move on already and give congrats to all the winners and participants. That's what we all should be talking about now.

Monsieur OUXX

Duals we love you, we do. Just don't make clumsy jokes about repeatedly-mocked minorities again. ;-D
Give us a hug.

Andail

I don't think it's particularly good form to erase all one's messages in a thread, at least if you don't make it clear that you retract whatever you argued for.

In the light of that, I can only assume that Dualnames has conceded that the sexist jargon and jokes need to be toned down in the future, or someone else will have to arrange and host the award ceremony.

Nobody - regardless of their commitment and devotion to the community - can be completely above criticism, not even CJ himself.

Too many members, both old and new, both male and female, have expressed their dislike for the jargon and imagery present in the ceremony this time for this issue to be dismissed or brushed aside without permitting a proper discussion about it.

Maybe we could finish this discussion here now, and if necessary discuss sexism and gender stereotypes in the general forum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk