Adventure Creator - a 3D engine for Unity

Started by IceMan, Thu 10/10/2013 11:38:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

But plenty of people do use the free version, Darth, so you can't assume that just because you're put off by not having "full control" over your games, everyone else feels the same way. Your calculations also rather rely on the idea that there are 100,000 people who would buy a license in order to release their game commercially, which sounds utterly insane wildly optimistic to me. (Are there even 100,000 Unity games released? â€" Remember, by your scheme people would only need to pony up for the license once their game is finished and ready for commercial release.) Plus you'd have to police all the small-fry commercial releases to make sure they'd all paid their 30 bucks. Sounds like a huge hassle to me.

Unity have clearly decided that they only want to require licenses from professional studios, where the cost of the license would anyway only be a small drop in the overall budget bucket. Everyone else gets to use a practically-complete version for free. That's fair enough, isn't it?

Darth Mandarb

I don't care if other people aren't put off by the business model.  As I said, if they want to pay the money let 'em!  Also, as I stated, I haven't used the program yet (and I probably will try it out at some point I'm sure) so I'm not saying I don't like it nor did I make any statements regarding the quality of the program.  I'm just expressing, as I stated clearly, my opinions on over-priced software these days.  Each person reading is free to disagree, I couldn't care less!

My business model was using numbers pulled out of the air to make a point (apparently that was missed).  Lower cost equals more sales.  It's simple, really.  Also, whether you charge $29.99, $1,579.00 or $150,000.00 for the "license" you are still going to have to track/police who is using the software "legally" (giggle).  So the hassle is there either way so I don't see the relevance of that.

Seriously though, as is usual on these forums, my simple statements are being taken out of proportion and made into a larger issue than needed.  I'm sure it's a fine program with some great features.  Lower the price and it'll sell better.  That is all.

Sslaxx

For most people it just isn't a realistic concern. $6,000 (for Pro licenses for Unity+Windows 8 Store/Android/Blackberry/iOS) isn't exactly chump change, sure, but if you're one of the lucky ones to exceed $100k in earnings, it's not a particularly massive price to pay. And vanishingly few people ever get to that point.

To be clear, I'm talking about one-man band efforts here, not companies like Phoenix Online or Wadjet Eye. That, I am sure, is a whole different kettle of fish.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Paul Franzen

I saw someone talking about this on Twitter and was all excited to rush here and post about it--looks like I was beaten to the punch. (...by like half a year. And by the person who created it. Ah, well!)

But man, I'm super-excited to see a Unity plug-in that (from what I understand?) is basically AGS for Unity. I've been thinking more and more about testing the waters with Unity after wrapping up my current project--seems like I don't have any excuses now!
The Beard in the Mirror (formerly testgame) - Out now on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/385840
Other games I've worked on: http://paulmfranzen.com/games/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk