Let's Replay Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revenge

Started by Ali, Mon 10/03/2014 10:43:40

Previous topic - Next topic

MiteWiseacreLives!

Mmmm Yeah, I like SCUMM.
Single click really bums me out (kinda making Broken Age's puzzles disappointing, I'm not that far in...) I just want to have more options in an adventure game. I want to come up with the solution, not have the writer lead me along like some kind of play-time with a pre-schooler. Buuuuuut, I know gamers don't want to be stuck for more than 35sec anymore.

Mandle

Cool video guys! It was really laid-back and fun to watch.

Hehe...I've always thought the "Pirates Of The Caribbean" movie must have been originally "The Secret Of Monkey Island" movie but renamed for the sake of a better-known and less geeky label...

The comparisons are endless!

Thanks for pointing out in the video the whole full-circle of inspiration. That was cool!

Radiant

Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Wed 12/03/2014 02:16:16this game's (combination of keyboard + mouse) control is 10000000x better than the stupid mouse control of Under a Killing Moon
Yes; keyboard shortcuts are crucial to an effective GUI. Both Sierra and LucasArts knew that.

Gilbert

Actually I wasn't referring to the keyboard shortcuts for the commands, as I'm just no good in remembering any of them, but I know it helps a lot of players.

What I was referring was the keyboard movement in Normality(like original games such as Wolfstein 3D or Doom, even though I quited playing these games long time ago), comparing to the jerky mouse movement in UAKM. This hybrid control scheme in Normality enables the players to travel using the keyboard and explore using the mouse at the same time, while in UAKM it's done lamely that you have to switch between movement and exploration modes.

Ali

Quote from: Ryan Timoothy on Wed 12/03/2014 01:07:39
Quote from: Ali on Wed 12/03/2014 01:02:14
But isn't the latter very cumbersome? The player has to move their hand a lot more if they're selecting icons from the corner, rather than tapping and flicking in the direction of an action.
If it's a tablet or phone, you have your other hand to press the verbs in the corner, not if you're on a computer bound to one mouse.

Ah but what if it's Windows 8? So the user could be using a mouse or a touch screen, then it could become very annoying for mouse users.

Radiant

Yes, but then you can take advantage of the right mouse button (e.g. to switch verbs).

It strikes me that with interface design, you shouldn't go for the interface that the most people like, but for the one that the least people hate - because people aren't going to play your game just for the interface, but they will stop playing in short order if they hate the interface.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk