The coming of age - a Lorna Bains whodunit

Started by Dhelayan, Wed 12/03/2014 12:54:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhelayan

ReVenture Games presents:

"The coming of age - a Lorna Bains whodunit"

Tallahassee, 1933.

Meet Lorna Bains, young college student, part-time waitress at a local café…and aspiring journalist too!

It's a very special day for Lorna.

Not only will she write her application letter for a big new york city newspaper today, she turns 21 years old too!

But instead of getting a cake and gifts, her life will be turned upside down.

• Classic Point-and-Click interface
  • Hand-drawn characters and backgrounds
  • A comedic story, inspired by Sierra's "Laura Bow" series
  • Powered by the Adventure Game Studio engine

Screenshots

Get the game for free from our website: http://reventuregames.com/games/LORNA0_Installer.exe

Official ReVenture Games website: http://reventuregames.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/reventuregames

The HAI DAFFYNITION Team

Marcus Seyer - Director, Lead Programmer, GUI Design, Musical Direction
Natalie Juhasz - Director, Creative Director, Cinematic Design, Character Design, Background Design, Casting Director
Sarin Soghomonian - Producer
Ben Chandler - Additional Coding
Francisco Gonzalez - Additional Coding

Voice Actors

Natalie Juhasz as Narrator, Lorna Bains, George Bains, Jamee Bains, Loretta Rae Tremaine
Gene Mocsy as Lonnie Tristan
Marcus Seyer as Eddie Papatuccio
Sarah Wilson as Betty Mae Papatuccio
Peter O'Rouke as Bramley Thane
Francisco Gonzales as Templeton Thane
Michael Panagiotis as Eunice McCall
Sarin Soghomonian as Ashley Lou Thompson

AprilSkies

Congrats for release!
I like the art style! It's expressionist! Great work! :shocked:

www.apemarina.altervista.org

KodiakBehr

What a unique look!  I'll try it out tonight.

Eric

Can't wait to get home to see how this art looks animated!

Grim

This game looks so incredible I nearly choked on my tea!

Great stuff!

Daniel Eakins

We all have our time machines, don't we?

Khris

This game looks great and it is quite clear that a lot of effort went into it.
Which makes it all the more weird that it suffers severely from technical issues:
Spoiler
- debug mode is still on
- the game doesn't use walkbehinds, it almost looks like the designer didn't know about them, this makes Lorna circle around the table instead of going straight
- the walk speed is ridiculously slow, especially walking to the left and right, and again, the animation doesn't even fit the speed
- some characters' sizes do not follow the room's perspective at all, which looks really off occasionally (and is an easy fix; again, it looks like the designer simply didn't know about scaling)
- saving or loading is not possible, and while the game uses checkpoints it doesn't inform the player when they reached one
- very minor issue: at the crime scene the cursor does not switch to one of the verbs automatically; so until you click one of the verbs, the cursor suddenly does nothing
- some characters are clearly paintovers of the familiar horrible poser walkcycle
[close]
Sorry, but had to be said.

Resulka

Quote from: Khris on Thu 13/03/2014 11:33:53
Which makes it all the more weird that it suffers severely from technical issues:
Spoiler
- debug mode is still on
- the game doesn't use walkbehinds, it almost looks like the designer didn't know about them, this makes Lorna circle around the table instead of going straight
- the walk speed is ridiculously slow, especially walking to the left and right, and again, the animation doesn't even fit the speed
- some characters' sizes do not follow the room's perspective at all, which looks really off occasionally (and is an easy fix; again, it looks like the designer simply didn't know about scaling)
- saving or loading is not possible, and while the game uses checkpoints it doesn't inform the player when they reached one
- very minor issue: at the crime scene the cursor does not switch to one of the verbs automatically; so until you click one of the verbs, the cursor suddenly does nothing
- some characters are clearly paintovers of the familiar horrible poser walkcycle
[close]

All fair points. This game to me really is sort of a proof of concept to me and I personally went through many different incarnations of the art. The majority of the more technical issues can be explained by the fact this really was our first game. And while it doesn't really work as an excuse when there is alot of literature out there on the topic. We'l strive to do better in the future.

You're a little off about the poser walkcycle. I imported them from 3Ds max, but that is pretty much when I had decided I just wanted it all over and done with, but it is my bad that they're so obvious paintovers. I was just looking for consistency since as the other walking sprites will attest, I'm very shaky on my walk cycles. I'm going to be practising them more over the next couple of weeks so I don't need to use the crutch of 3Ds sprites to rotoscope.

Thanks for the Critique! We can't improve without it! <3<3

Dhelayan

Quote from: Khris on Thu 13/03/2014 11:33:53
Spoiler
- debug mode is still on
[close]

Thanks for your feedback! I fixed the debug mode and the savegame message in v.1.0.2 of the game!

HanaIndiana

I'm a fan of Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra, so I was excited to see this. I like the voicework, it's bizarre at times, but that adds to the entertainment value. I like the animations, and art style in general too. I really get a sense of the characters. And you keep the dialog at a nice pace.

I haven't finished the game yet. I got stuck:
Spoiler
when investigating the murder. I didn't find everything, and I got frustrated and couldn't save :) But I plan to go back to it.
[close]

Look forward to finishing the game, and any future games!

Mandle

Do I detect voice actors from Heroine's Quest?

Specifically Lorna herself as the little street urchin thief and Herme?

If so...then no wonder she kept going all "Southern" during the outtakes in the special features ;)

Resulka

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Tue 25/03/2014 19:07:46
I'm a fan of Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra, so I was excited to see this. I like the voicework, it's bizarre at times, but that adds to the entertainment value. I like the animations, and art style in general too. I really get a sense of the characters. And you keep the dialog at a nice pace.

I haven't finished the game yet. I got stuck:
Spoiler
when investigating the murder. I didn't find everything, and I got frustrated and couldn't save :) But I plan to go back to it.
[close]

Look forward to finishing the game, and any future games!

Ah yes, If it helps, In the murder scene, the Do/See buttons at the top still work, And Do to an object to leave the scene! Hope it helps and thanks for enjoying it so far!

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 30/03/2014 07:23:09
Do I detect voice actors from Heroine's Quest?

Specifically Lorna herself as the little street urchin thief and Herme?

If so...then no wonder she kept going all "Southern" during the outtakes in the special features ;)

Alas, no. The only other voice work for games I've done is Ben Chandler Paranormal Investigator: In Search of the Sweet's Tin. I do really like Heroine's Quest though!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk