MYST-like games made in AGS?

Started by Peder 🚀, Fri 14/03/2014 14:10:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

Hey, a friend of mine asked me if there are any MYST-like games made with AGS, and since I don't know (not being a big fan of MYST-like games :O) I thought I'd ask all of you! :).

Peder 🚀

Well as a person who's actually never played Myst I'm not 100% sure what would class as a "Myst-like" game :P, but I've given a link to the game to my friend eitherway :).

Mandle

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Fri 14/03/2014 14:10:32
Hey, a friend of mine asked me if there are any MYST-like games made with AGS, and since I don't know (not being a big fan of MYST-like games :O) I thought I'd ask all of you! :).

Working on one myself right at the moment...Will still be at least 6 months in the making I'd say but I will be in touch once it's finished ;)

Monsieur OUXX

I believe you can assume that every game made with SteveMcCrea's "Panorama" module/plugin can be considered Myst-like, at least in the aspect (even though they probably have inventories, unlike Myst). And SteveMcCrea was the one who used his own module the most.
Specifically, there was one in the "noir" genre, that was pretty cool. I can't recall if it was a short game or a demo, though.

Also: what? You've never played Myst? Hurry up, it's one of the reasons why you can be sent to hell after death. The best one (puzzle-wise and consistency-wise) is Myst II: Riven. The most gorgeous one is Myst III.

elentgirl

If you want a Myst-like game, try my game 'Adventure Island', which is in the AGS database.  It's a homage to a number of different adventure games, and has one section based on Myst, set in The Mysterium! ;-D

Peder 🚀

Thanks for suggestions :). I'll let my friend see this thread!

cat

I have not played Myst, but from what I know, your friend might like The Oracle.

miguel

Myst was the reason I bought a Sega Saturn. Myst redefined video games and when it came out it was so amazing!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

elentgirl

When Myst came out (over 20 years ago, now!) it was revolutionary.  Adventure games at that time were mainly low resolution third person games and the puzzles inventory based - very like those that AGS was set up to emulate!  Myst used high resolution graphics (as high as was practical at the time), first person view, and there was no inventory (though you could hold something for a short time in one or two places).  You progressed by exploring the amazing environment (pretty much without restriction) and solved the puzzles with a mixture of logic and trial and error.  I was swept away by the game and it has certainly coloured the games I have made myself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk