TOMES: Layne's Discovery

Started by LRH, Sun 23/03/2014 16:49:57

Previous topic - Next topic

LRH

Tomes: Layne's Discovery, is a relatively short (took beta testers between 45 minutes and 2 hours) and story-driven game that revolves around a young man with a litany of personal problems.  Through investigations and a fair amount of seeing his way through internal crises, Layne eventually stumbles upon the Tomes, and a new mystery begins. 

This is the introductory chapter of what will hopefully be a new series of mine.  You may also notice that I've chosen to use a new moniker for this release.  I don't really have a good reason for doing this.  Just kind of wanted to "relaunch" myself. 

In any case, enjoy, and please feel free to let me know what you think of it. Here's a handful of screenshots:

The game's page is here if you would like to download: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1788/

Fedx

Oh man, I've got to say, I absolutely loved this game! The deduction system is nicely crafted, and it's a superb addition ;) I'm hoping to see part two, you've got me hanging there buddy!
- The gamer doesn't dies... he respawns -

Mandle

Absolutely wonderful game!

Deduction system was a breath of fresh air into the stuffy adventure game closet of "combine objects for no reason"...

Spoiler
I got so immersed in the story that the sight of pixelated blood and violence actually shocked and moved me...

I'm sure you know which scene I refer to.

When a story is so good that it can do that with just a few red pixels you know you have a winner on your hands!
[close]

Please bring on the next chapter in this dark tale of psychological scars as soon as possible!!!

I sense a new "Ben Jordan Series" in the brewing!

LRH

Hey, thanks to you both! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback.  I'll definitely begin a sequel once I stop being so swamped by work.

kaput

Pretty cool game. Haven't finished it yet but really digging the dark edgy feel and game mechanics. The story is really quite interesting, too. Nice one.

LRH

LRH

Apologies for the bump, but there's some semi-important news:

After a very lengthy outage, I finally go my websites hosted again.  It's pretty bare-bones for now, but at least the download link is back:
http://lowreshero.com/tomes-series/

I've edited the games page to reflect the same.

Ibispi

This game is amazing! I'm a real fan of Sherlock Holmes and I was really surprised by how good this game is. More people should play this! (nod)

My opinion about some things
Spoiler
I enjoyed the crime solving part a lot more than the psychological journey of the protagonist. I feel like the game would be better if it had more of those puzzles then his personal troubles. Although, the whole game is based around that and it is very well done.
[close]
It reminds me a bit of Monk (the television series), who also has very personal problems of his own, but at the same time is an investigator, and solves crime mysteries via deduction method like Sherlock Holmes.
Well done, Domithan! :smiley:

LRH

Thanks, BSP! As far as your hidden section, that's definitely something I'll take into consideration for the next game. 

Stupot

Nice game. I loved the deduction system too. He's a good character. I'll definitely play more Layne games.
I also found it quite scary in parts. Well done :-)

Couple of issues:
Spoiler
There's a big bug where if you are in the restaurant with Ashley and then try to combine the blood and stains again, it will replay the whole sequence again where you get the text from Ashley telling you to meet her at the cafe etc .

Secondly, I don't know if anyone else found this, but when I saved a game and then came back to it, there were no saved games to load. I tested this again after my replay, as I had saved during the game but after I finished there was no sign of my saved game in the Load game box.
[close]

LRH

Stupot-
Thanks for the kind words and the heads up in regard to the glitch! I'll do my best to get version 1.2 up by the end of the week to fix that.

Edit: Uploading 1.2 now! Anyone who downloads it by the time they read this should have the proper version.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk