(moved to tracker) exception 0xC0000005

Started by Radiant, Mon 03/02/2014 09:46:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Someone reports getting the following error when starting Heroine's Quest. Can someone tell me what this means please?

An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004697C8 ; program pointer is -1893, ACI version 3.3.0.1148, gtags (8485,21)

Moved to : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=548.0

Crimson Wizard

0xC0000005 is "Access violation" (using null pointer or restricted memory).
PP=-1893 occurs at drive space check. The check is made first time during game launch and also each time a game is saved (autosave at the game start too).

Radiant

So basically, this means his hard drive is full so the game can't create the Restart Game autosave?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 03/02/2014 10:10:10
So basically, this means his hard drive is full so the game can't create the Restart Game autosave?
Hmm, no, it means that there's bug in the engine.
It is supposed to display a human-readable message if it can't write test file.

Radiant

Ok. In case it matters, this is Win7 x64, i5-2500, 8gb RAM, nVidia GTX780, and running AGS 3.3.0.1148

Crimson Wizard

I will test what happens if the check fails.
But regardless, the situation may also take place if he runs the game from the unwritable location, like CD or folder with read-only attribute.

Radiant

Oddly enough, this issue does not happen in fullscreen mode, only in windowed.

Radiant

Radiant

Was this issue resolved at some point?

Crimson Wizard

No, I could not find what may cause this.
Also, I am afraid, I am loosing a grasp on all the "weird" crashes that were reported last few months. I think it's better to add them all to bug tracker so they won't get lost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk