Tales

Started by AprilSkies, Thu 03/04/2014 22:50:01

Previous topic - Next topic

AprilSkies

Pre-order the game at: http://www.screen7.co.uk/#!/tales or http://www.taaales.co.uk

Watch the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olAq-ha80Fk

Hi everyone,
I'm proud to present "TALES" the new game by Ape Marina. A TECH-DEMO of the game is available (see bottom of the post).

An out of work layabout, Alfred Walsh, thinks he has found a cushy job as the custodian of a private library. He has no idea how wrong he could have been. When otherworldly forces intrude he is forced to abandon his career path: the casual dusting off of books between well-earned naps, and is thrust into a battle to save the very heart and soul of what makes humanity what it is.

Progress:
Story/Writing: 100%
Scripting: 100%
Art: 100%
Music, sfx: 100%
Release prep: 75%

More infos about the game on our Website: http://apemarina.altervista.org/Tales.html

You can download a TECH-DEMO of the game HERE!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

CaptainD

Ah, so this is the mysterious project you were telling me about the other day!  Lovely graphics as always.

AprilSkies

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 03/04/2014 22:54:14
Ah, so this is the mysterious project you were telling me about the other day!  Lovely graphics as always.

LOL! Exactly that one!

Gribbler

Man, you're one busy guy :) Looks even better than Donald. Superb artwork. Good luck with the production!

miguel

Loving it, great stuff.
Let's download this gem...
Working on a RON game!!!!!

selmiak

miguel

Played it for a while and you got me hooked. Really nice game so far.Congrats.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Mandle

**Deletes the 10 or so earlier iterations from hard drive and downloads the final version**

**Runs off eagerly to play the game for the 17th time**

WOOOOOT!!!

Giocherellone

WOW!

What a great surprise! :shocked:

It 'a true delicacy, and I am so GREEDY of this stuff!  :P

YUM!

SUPERB ApeMarina! :grin:

AprilSkies

Hey guys. Thank you for ur first impressions.
Hi Gribbler :D - As u can see, just like you (as you said weeks ago) I started working on something more serious (taking a break with comedy).
Thanx Miguel, as usual I'm happy when u play my games :D
And thanx selmiak and Paolo "giocherellone" (Paolo, I put the game on Arena too ;) )

The demo is very short but it's useful to show the features and give you a taste of the plot.

I must say that Mandle gave me a precious and invaluable help, in text editing and in testing the game. Guys, this man is a tireless worker. Do not steal me him XD 

Mandle

Quote from: AprilSkies on Fri 04/04/2014 09:31:40
Guys, this man is a tireless worker.

He just means I can never get to work because there are never any tires on my car. Pay no attention!!!

Gribbler

Quote from: aprilSkiesHi Gribbler :D - As u can see, just like you (as you said weeks ago) I started working on something more serious (taking a break with comedy).
Yeah, but I have just only finished writting a bloody prologue and you have dozens of screenshots, dialogues, characters (with portraits!) and whatnot! Thats not fair! :D

Darth Mandarb

[moderator]
Let's stay on target before this gets too far off-topic
[/moderator]

The screens look great!  Keep up the good work!

Mandle

Just wanted to add that some minor typos and glitches have been spotted post-release and have been fixed.

The download link in the first post is now to the most up-to-date version as of the time of this post.

:)

**************************************************************************************************************

I will also take this chance to condemn AprilSkies before the entire community for breaking one of the sacred commandments of indie adventure game development:

Spoiler
Commandment #27: Thou player character shalst cause items to disappear into and out of the completely separate dimension known as their inventory instantly and with no onscreen action or reaction of said player character, and with no logical consideration towards where said character could have possibly carried said items.

The player character in your game is in direct violation of this commandment by actually reaching for, bending towards, and even squatting (squatting I tell yas!!!) to retrieve items and then...

AND THEN!!!

Finding a logical place on his person to store them away in!!!

AND THEN EVEN!!!

Retrieving said items from exactly the place he last stored them in!!!

AND THEN EVEN...EVEN...

Spoiler
In two particular cases of impossible-to-store-away-on-self items...

*DRAMATIC PAUSE*

The player character carries said items IN THEIR HAND before the player, and God, and everyone!!!
[close]
[close]

Due to this serious infraction against the sacred commandments of indie adventure game development you...

...AprilSkies...

...have been sentenced to no less than one year's hard labor working upon the completed version of the demo presented in this thread!

May God have mercy on your soul!

*RAPS GAVEL ON PODIUM*

Matt Frith

I just tried the tech demo and was very impressed.  Looking forward to seeing more! :)

Cassiebsg

Loved it! Great art, story and atmosphere! :)

Only have a little nit pick, if I may... you're using both mouse click and timer to skip to the next text, this might (as it happened to me) make the player click on the next text because the timer reached the end just as one finishes reading and thus missing a line of text...
Personally, I'm for letting the player decide when to move the text forward, that way one covers both the fast and the slow readers... But maybe that's just me. ;)

Will definitely keep this one under my radar!  Keep up the great work!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AprilSkies

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 04/04/2014 21:52:09
Loved it! Great art, story and atmosphere! :)
Only have a little nit pick, if I may... you're using both mouse click and timer to skip to the next text, this might (as it happened to me) make the player click on the next text because the timer reached the end just as one finishes reading and thus missing a line of text...
Personally, I'm for letting the player decide when to move the text forward, that way one covers both the fast and the slow readers... But maybe that's just me. ;)
Will definitely keep this one under my radar!  Keep up the great work!

Thank you. Those feedbacks are exactly what a tech demo is for. ;)

CaptainD

It is indeed a splendid demo.  Though I was disappointed that the library did not have any books on cuneiform writing for me to look at. (wrong)  (I did wonder briefly if that was part of the puzzle, before the guard just told me everything.)

AprilSkies

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 04/04/2014 22:02:51
It is indeed a splendid demo.  Though I was disappointed that the library did not have any books on cuneiform writing for me to look at. (wrong)  (I did wonder briefly if that was part of the puzzle, before the guard just told me everything.)

Really interesting idea... :shocked:
(This man is a REAL game designer)

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 04/04/2014 22:02:51

BIG SPOILER ALERT!!!

If you have not played the Demo yet then please do not open this reply!!!

Spoiler
Ah...Do remember please though Merlin's words that the library contains the very essence of the legends and myths of humankind... This is not just an ordinary library where you can look up factual information... It is a kind of physically-existing metaphor for the foundation of culture that all of civilization was built upon...

I see where you are coming from though...Usually when a library is present in a game the player has to look up clues and such in the books. Maybe it's a good idea to make it clearer that this is not that particular kind of library to save the player some frustration in trying...
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk