King's Quest IV : Perils of Rosella (Remake)

Started by Nightfable, Thu 10/04/2014 01:54:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightfable

Backgrounds & animations : Nightfable
Programming & music: Westend Studios

(Contact me if you are willing to join the team)

In honor of the late Karen who dedicated all of her spare time on remaking KQ4 in beautiful 3D graphics, I want to announce that we are continuing our work on our remake.

We would like to finish a demo at least. I'm very busy, I don't have much spare time to give, but I haven't lost my passion for adventure games and the King's Quest series.

I feel very sad that Karen has passed away. May she rest in peace knowing that she brought wonder and magic to many.:cry::~(
Here's her thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=45147.0

My current to-do list:
Main graphics:

☑ King Graham face close-up
☐ King Graham unconscious in bed/Rosella animated
☑ Hat on the floor close-up
☐ Magic Mirror close-up animation
☑ Genesta portrait animation
☐ Background of Lolotte snatching necklace
☐ Rosella and Genesta close-up talking animation
☐ Scrolling background of swamp and magical tree

Secondary graphics:

☑ King Graham portrait animation
☑ King Graham throw animation
☑ Hat Flying animation
☑ Alexander walk animation
☐ Candle flame animation
☑ Rosella looking around animation
☑ Mirror shining
☑ Vanishing animation
☐ Genesta & fairies flying animation
☐ Genesta's wand animation

Trapezoid

Sad to hear about the circumstances. Nonetheless, looks wonderful. Your graphics feel stronger than a lot of Sierra's own VGA from around that time. Keep going!

Snarky

Great to see you take up this project again! I was sad to hear about Karen, but the graphic style of the other remake was never really to my taste. These screens are so charming, though! I agree with Trapezoid that they compare favorably with many Sierra games.

I'm not sure I understand the list of graphics and the star ratings. Are they things TBD or things you're working on? (Surely the game involves more animations than that?) Are the stars quality ratings, difficulty ratings, progress ratings, or what? Are you posting the list because you're looking for help? (Edit: Ah, I see it's explained now.)

The link in your signature goes to some parked domain, by the way.

AprilSkies

Some of the greatest background I ever saw! Please go on.
I'm sad to hear that about Karen.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

DBoyWheeler

Man... talk about a tragic turn of events.

Well, here's to Karen.  She'll be deeply missed.

Andail

Great to see that the project is still alive.

And I agree wholeheartedly when it comes to the backgrounds - these are much better than the 3D rendered graphics we saw before, and even better than many old Sierra games!

Snarky, I believe the list up there is only for things to be included in the demo, thus the very limited scope of tasks :)
I do however think it would benefit us better to know how the game is progressing in its entirety, instead of just the demo!

Ghost

Quote from: Nightfable on Thu 10/04/2014 01:54:38
I feel very sad that Karen has passed away. May she rest in peace knowing that she brought wonder and magic to many.:cry::~(

A sincere farewell to her; I didn't know about her passing away.

Still, you returning to Perils is great, great news, and the game looks as gorgeous as ever (nod)

Nightfable

To give you an idea, these are the animations I am working on at the moment. They are part of the intro and are unfinished.

If I can get past these detailed intro cut-scenes, it should get easier for me.

Snarky

Nice! I always like seeing in-progress stuff because you can see the process. Have you used photo/video reference for these cut scenes?

So for now are you just focused on the graphics/animation, or also doing coding and stuff?

Dropped Monocle Games

wow, this is some great work! love the art :D

agentbauer

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 11/04/2014 11:41:45
Nice! I always like seeing in-progress stuff because you can see the process. Have you used photo/video reference for these cut scenes?

So for now are you just focused on the graphics/animation, or also doing coding and stuff?
The coding is again my work, as I still have the "old" stuff, and a running demo with many, many placeholders.
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

Frodo

Sorry to hear about Karen.  My heart goes out to all her friends and family.  :cry:

It's great news that you intend to keep woking on Perils Of Rosella.  Your artwork & animations are very beautiful.  :smiley:

Nightfable

- Flying hat and talking Graham animation ALL DONE!! ;-D
- I'm currently working on the crying Rosella cutscene. I've animated the magic mirror and flames in the background.

smaug

This is indeed fantastic, Nightfable! Karen would have been so pleased to see your awesome renedition of her, perhaps, favorite adventure game!

Were you a part of the Magic Mirror Games team, by any chance?

I followed that project, quite closely, until it, sadly ground to a halt, and it was there that I was first introduced to Karen, and her amazing talents. As we both are Norwegians, we shared quite a few bonds and interests and we corresponded a bit, outside the boundaries of the MMG forums. I knew she was working on The Silver Lining, and she had quite a few anecdotes from that period.
I also knew that she had some health problems, but I had no idea that they were of such a serious nature. There were some loose talk about us meeting, in her home town of Bergen, this summer, but, alas, this will now, never come to pass.

I hope you find the time to keep up your amazing work, as, in my opinion, anyway, it is a truly great renedition of the classic KQ4, which was, and continue to be, loved by so many..!

Nightfable

I was playing around with AGS today, scratching my head and wondering how to put these animations together (and if they'd look right). I ended up with putting together part of the intro. :-D

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23lq02IfPlobWgyYS1wOHNLbEU/edit?usp=sharing
(select file tab to the left & download)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Nightfable on Mon 14/04/2014 06:04:29
I was playing around with AGS today, scratching my head and wondering how to put these animations together (and if they'd look right). I ended up with putting together part of the intro. :-D

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23lq02IfPlobWgyYS1wOHNLbEU/edit?usp=sharing
(select file tab to the left & download)

I'm trying to download but it says "404 not found".
Also when you upload files for sharing I'd recommend zipping them together.

Nightfable

Here's a mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7bpu7ouq8vuxl76/Part_of_intro.rar

Quote from: Trapezoid on Thu 10/04/2014 04:47:15
...Keep going!
Quote from: Snarky on Thu 10/04/2014 09:01:09
Great to see you take up this project again! These screens are so charming, though! I agree with Trapezoid that they compare favorably with many Sierra games.
Quote from: AprilSkies on Thu 10/04/2014 10:06:52
Some of the greatest background I ever saw! Please go on.
Quote from: Andail on Thu 10/04/2014 15:06:11
I agree wholeheartedly when it comes to the backgrounds - these are much better than the 3D rendered graphics we saw before, and even better than many old Sierra games!
Quote from: Soxbrooker on Fri 11/04/2014 12:16:33
wow, this is some great work! love the art :D
Quote from: Frodo on Fri 11/04/2014 20:19:26
Your artwork & animations are very beautiful.  :smiley:
Quote from: Ghost on Thu 10/04/2014 17:28:10
Still, you returning to Perils is great, great news, and the game looks as gorgeous as ever (nod)
Quote from: Snarky on Fri 11/04/2014 11:41:45
Nice! I always like seeing in-progress stuff because you can see the process.
Quote from: smaug on Sun 13/04/2014 10:49:57
This is indeed fantastic, Nightfable! I hope you find the time to keep up your amazing work, as, in my opinion, anyway, it is a truly great rendition of the classic KQ4, which was, and continue to be, loved by so many..!

Thanks everyone! Your feedback means a lot and is inspiring me to keep going.

AprilSkies

I saw the little intro.
Really good.
Portraits are great too.
Hope to see more soon (roll)

www.apemarina.altervista.org

deadsuperhero

This looks absolutely wonderful. I like the visual style a lot; it's very Sierra-inspired, but there's something about it that is entirely unique.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Nightfable

Hi guys! I've been working hard on getting the intro to look how I want it to. Here you can see the beginning of the introduction:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zqkgu1v49up1meq/KQ4_-_Intro_Beginning.rar

Hope you like it! :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk