The Samaritan Paradox

Started by Peder 🚀, Thu 17/04/2014 01:27:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Warrior

Urgh... I'm at my wits' end in Chapter One. Got the book, reading/playing it, been to the Beach, Lighthouse, Cove, Cliff, got the bottle and bit of sail from the wreck (should be all the obvious things, at least), three items from the Cove screen, the shield is clean - but I just can't find a way to light the beacon. I'm just running around the island like a lab mouse on speed...

piperhcombs

Quote from: Silent Warrior on Tue 13/05/2014 12:14:45
Urgh... I'm at my wits' end in Chapter One. Got the book, reading/playing it, been to the Beach, Lighthouse, Cove, Cliff, got the bottle and bit of sail from the wreck (should be all the obvious things, at least), three items from the Cove screen, the shield is clean - but I just can't find a way to light the beacon. I'm just running around the island like a lab mouse on speed...

lighting the beacon:
Spoiler
*ahem* shiny shield *ahem*
[close]

full answer:
Spoiler
use the shield on the fence/railing next to the firewood at the beacon. You'll place the shield at an angel so that the shield will reflect a beam of light onto the beacon strong enough to ignite it.

It's a common enough fire lighting method (at least on tv): concentrate a beam of light either through magnifying glass/glasses or by reflecting it off something shiny.
[close]

:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

Silent Warrior

... What, that's it? Such a little step? :-[ Right, I'll go see where that takes me.

Silent Warrior

Stumped once more, oh joy. I made it into the bunker, figured out the combination, but I appear entirely unable to 'make sure the coast is clear'. I have the tear gas, I think I saw the old bag mentioned in a previous hint, but I can't seem to do anything at all... I try to use the tear gas on the vent, I get 'There must be a better way to disseminate the smell.' Same if I use the Old bag. I can't combine the two items in the inventory. The same thing happens regardless whether the fan is on or off. The wheelbarrow is apparently fine where it is already... and I'm not allowed to leave the bunker. I didn't just run into a bug, did I? I assume the tear gas goes into the ventilation, but how?

piperhcombs

tinker around with the vent. Maybe something'll come off? Maybe something can be changed?

Silent Warrior

Nope. Not a thing. I've tried using every item in my inventory on the vent, on or off, no luck. (To be clear: the hotspot is named 'Ventilation Fan' - other hotspots in the room are 'Signs', some plaque near a door in the back wall, the code entry panel, 'Wheelbarrow', and 'Door' on the far right.) From your suggestion, I expected the Paper Knife would have some effect, but no.

You know, it felt somewhat strange to try to stuff the two Chapters into the fan...

Snarky

OK, if you can't get it, here's the solution (from memory):

Spoiler
-Take the fan off the vent
-Stuff the old bag into the left side of the vent (to block the passage of air)
-Examine the fan you removed to notice two wires
-Switch the wires to reverse the direction of the fan (it now blows instead of sucking)
-Replace the fan
-Turn on the ventilation (now it blows air from your room into the room behind the door)
-Use the tear gas on the fan: guard is gassed and runs away
[close]

Silent Warrior

... Why is it ALWAYS that ONE LITTLE THING, after trying just about everything else, that's the way forward? Well, that got me in, but now I'm stumped at the crane game... I got The Thing(tm) out of the box, but where do I put it down? Ord doesn't want to hide until I find... wherever it is that Thing goes.

piperhcombs

Most of your questions were answered earlier back in this thread. :-D s'okay. I'm here to help.

Quote from: GarageGothic on Sun 20/04/2014 19:32:21
ok, so I'm stuck at the

Spoiler
warehouse
[close]

Spoiler
I assume I have to hide in the empty box. I try moving the weapon part to the dumpster via crashing it into the girder, but I get busted every time. What am I doing wrong?
[close]

EDIT: nevermind:

Spoiler
brilliant use of sticky tape :)
[close]

Silent Warrior

Huh, my search-fu fails me!

Either way: SUCCESS! And all of a sudden I've finished the game! Just out of curiosity, though: Are there alternate endings? (Got the altered prose one. Seems like there could be others, and if so I didn't save at the proper moment for quick experimentation.)

gorrister

How am I supposed to solve crossword ?

Secret Fawful

Is there another way to deal with Surt in Chapter 2 other than
Spoiler
killing him
[close]
?

Snarky

I don't know for sure, but branching paths isn't really in keeping with the idea that this is a book being read, is it?

Quote from: gorrister on Sat 31/05/2014 14:32:43
How am I supposed to solve crossword ?

If you're still stuck:

Spoiler
(Progressive hints)
Spoiler
You need to find out the detective's name from a copy of one of his books
[close]
Spoiler
There's someone in the game who's reading one
[close]
Spoiler
It's a guy sitting at a table in the bar where you met the PI
[close]
Spoiler
There's a bit of a puzzle to get it from him.
[close]
Spoiler
The guy doesn't like noise...
[close]
Spoiler
If you could change the music on the jukebox somehow... but you need coins for that
[close]
Spoiler
Where can you usually find some loose change?
[close]
Spoiler
Look in the sofa, give the coin to the rocker standing by the jukebox
[close]
[close]

CaptainD

Okay I'm a bit stuck.  I have the
Spoiler
phoney milk of capricornus
[close]
, have talked to the guard, innkeeper and Jonar until all options exhausted, tried to use the bucket on them with no resopnse whatsoever, and now I have no idea what I need to do to be able to visit the shrine.  Guessing I must have missed something that switches on a dialogue option with either Jonar or the Guard?

Snarky

There's a puzzle lock on the gate. Have you solved that?

CaptainD

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 12/06/2014 23:05:26
There's a puzzle lock on the gate. Have you solved that?

Thanks, I must have never actually clicked on the gate!!  Duh.  Um... weird... I solved that particular puzzle in a few mouse clicks before I had any clear idea what I was doing.  (Ah well makes up for the times I've been stuck in this game I guess...!)

Thanks for the pointer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk