The Samaritan Paradox

Started by Andail, Fri 18/04/2014 14:48:53

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

Wow, this game looks great. I've added it to my payday purchase list :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

m0ds

Aww! Thanks for the error reports, do let us know. An update can be sorted easily enough (laugh)

Lots of people checked this game. But Arj0n, personally... you know who I'm going to blame for not testing this game..........!!!!!!!!! ;) :=

ThreeOhFour

I've been really curious to see how this one would turn out, and having just finished it, I can say I enjoyed it a lot!

Some tricky puzzles here and there (Grundislav and I had to swap a hint with each other at one point) but otherwise I thought it played nicely. You did a nice job of mixing the classic adventure game feel with a slightly more modern design sensibility. The bits where there are danger never feel unfair, very well done on that count.

I liked the graphic style, very readable for low res and some lovely colour choices. I was initially worried from screenshots that the book world ones would stand out a lot from the real world ones, but once in-game I honestly didn't notice. Very impressive that one guy did so much work - and there's one scene right near the end (you know the one) which I recognized from years ago, and it made for not just a nice part of the ending, but a part that made me personally nostalgic.

Interesting writing, the mix between the two worlds, and the range of characters, and a twist that genuinely had me saying "Hahahaha Jesus Christ, Andail" which was, happily, immediately followed by Ord expressing the exact same sentiment. It seems there are multiple endings - and I am pretty happy with the one I got, but there's one element I may do differently for a replay.

Voice acting and music were both very nice, sound was a little sparse but it didn't detract from the experience too much.

But hey, you finished your game, and I enjoyed it, so well done. I've been interested to play this since I first saw it, and I was not disappointed. Know that if you're planning to make more games, I'm definitely a return customer.

Congrats to Mark at Screen7 for getting another game under his publishing belt, too. It felt lovely to be able to buy the game from whichever was my favorite place to buy games!

Thanks guys, good work, and give yourselves a pat on the back. Thumbs up from me! :cheesy:

Lasca

Congrats on the release! Hooray for Sweden as setting for games!

Grundislav

I have also just finished it.  Congratulations again on getting this game finished and released!

I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I had a tough time with some puzzles, but once I figured them out they all had a good "aha" moment, especially the walking cane/bunker puzzle.  You sneaky, sneaky man, you.

Liked that there were little things you could do to affect the outcome, touches like that are always appreciated.

My only real critique is
Spoiler
the ending feels a bit...abrupt?  There's the reveal of the twist, and then a couple of things happen and the game just...ends.  I chose to edit the story, and it felt like the whole theme of Sara being abused as a child was just sort of swept under the rug.  It was a shame, considering you chose to have a very mature theme in the game, that it was just sort of passed off as an "aw, shucks" sort of thing rather than explored further.
[close]

Again, I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing what you do next.

Andail

Thanks everyone for your kind words! It means everything.
Ben, seems you (and grundislav) were the first to beat it (outside of testers) :)

Will note bugs for future fixing, cheers.

ThreeOhFour

My commitment to solving mysteries triumphs once more! :grin:

Snarky

Congratulations, Andail! When you've played a part of it in an earlier version, it's always interesting to see how the final game compares. I'll see if I can dig up my Screen 7 gift cert, otherwise I guess I'll have to pay for it like a common pleb. (laugh)

Nikolas

Well..

Already paid, already bought, already playing and already stuck! But I will carry on playing, because the premise seems very interesting to say the least!

I won't offer my critique until I'm actually done with the game... ;)

Congratulations Petter and Mark! You are both awesome!

arj0n

Bug:
This happened after
Spoiler
the 'escaping the dragon's lair tower' cutscene.

[close]

m0ds

Get down from there Ord! Sorry about that. There was a single other mention of this phenomena in the last few months but we couldn't reproduce it or find the cause. I wonder how your parameters differ to other players.. ???

dactylopus

Congratulations on the release, Andail!

frenzykitty

JSH

Huge grats on the release Andail, the game turned out fantastic! :)

piperhcombs

That ending. :shocked:

I do agree with Grundislav about it being a bit abrupt though.
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

Sslaxx

Is it just me, or are there problems with some of the soundtrack files on the GOG release (gaps in some of the songs)?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SarahLiz

(Edit:  whoops!  I accidentally entered this into the Completed Games folder instead of the Hints folder.  Please delete...sorry about that Darth!  I know the rules...;))

m0ds

Quote from: Sslaxx on Wed 23/04/2014 00:34:36
Is it just me, or are there problems with some of the soundtrack files on the GOG release (gaps in some of the songs)?

Odd! Or...OGG ;) The OGG Flac version should be fine, I made it for them and have listened to it various times all the way through and didn't hear any problems. Could it be your OGG codec? Additionally, from what I saw they included an MP3 version? I did not make them an MP3 version, there was another version in OGG Vorbis format (original format that comes with the Screen 7 copy). If they've created their own MP3 version then there may be some issue? There's an even higher quality version available from Lannie at http://merlandese.bandcamp.com/

Gribbler

Quote from: SslaxxIs it just me, or are there problems with some of the soundtrack files on the GOG release (gaps in some of the songs)?
I also bought the game on GOG and both versions of the soundtrack work perfectly fine.

Sslaxx

This is what I'm talking about (notice the gap at about 0.43 seconds in). This also occurs in (usually) the first few seconds of most of the other tracks too.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk