Tardigrades ©

Started by AnasAbdin, Thu 08/05/2014 17:29:56

Previous topic - Next topic

AnasAbdin

Thanks SilverSpook  :) I'm enjoying writing her script a lot  (laugh)

josiah1221 thanks for your kind words  ;-D
and yeah I enjoy putting references form my favorite movies and games  ;)

AnasAbdin

Quick update:

I was chatting via PM with 'someone' :P and without knowing they gave me a push to improve an old background that was killing me every time I entered the room that contains it. I even had to speed up the game to the max so it wouldn't hurt my eyes much! Here's the Microbial Garden of Marsi-3 near the Jovian System, old vs. new, the only change is the glass shield and number of fans, other than that it is only coloring and lighting.

Forum question:
Is it okay to change some of the game's screenshots in the first comment of this thread with the newer improved ones, or would that be considered as 'cheating'? :-[

Fitz

Sure it's ok. People who are new to the project will probably check the post first rather than the last update -- so that's your best chance to make a good first impression.

AnasAbdin

That sounds reasonable Fitz. I think I will add the newer versions but keep the older ones in a [ hide ] tag as history...

SilverSpook

Looks like a real improvement!  Cool concept of microbial gardens as well.  Reminds me of the biotech lab in Technobabylon.  Really looking forward to this!

AnasAbdin

Thanks SilverSpook :)
Following Fitz advice I have updated the first post in this thread with new versions of the screenshots keeping the older ones hidden. I didn't want to ruin the 'history' feel of the gamedev log :)

AnasAbdin

UPDATE #15.5
[October 24th 2015]

Oxygen garden day/night modes

Changing the weather controls, nutrients inputs ...etc.. make the plants grow or shrink right in front of your eyes ;-D

Priabudiman

This is Big Anas! congratulations on the Greenlit, i will add it to the collections and spread the word there!

SilverSpook

Instant grow and shrink?  Sounds really awesome!  I'd like to see that animation :)

Cassiebsg

Stop blinking, and you'll see it. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

Thanks Priabudiman I really appreciate it :) and best of luck with your project, looks very cool 8-)

SilverSpook and Cassie, you'll be surprised how I approached the growing/shrinking technique (laugh)

Stromvin

Wow, congrats didnt even know this existed ;)
Looks very interesting.
When will it be in the shop approximately ?

greez Stromvin
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

AnasAbdin

Thanks Stromvin for the kind words  ;-D
I can't give a precise release date just yet. Hopefully somewhere in the first or second quarters of 2016  ???

Gurok

Please finish this quickly. I can't wait any longer.
Oh, but don't rush things.
Awww, I'm so torn. Just keep doing the amazing work that you're doing!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

AnasAbdin

Thanks Gurok :)
I'm not rushing at all (not my choice) but I'm managing my time as much as possible. Family comes first ;)
The fun part is, as the game progresses and puzzles are created, the character's sprites are already made (jumping, leaning, picking up, swinging...etc) so it does give a feeling of quick progress as I create multiple solutions for a single puzzle.

Expect a lot of red soon  (laugh)

AnasAbdin

UPDATE #16
[November 11th 2015]

This could be one of the most frustrating but interesting updates for an adventure game ???
Carter has hundreds of sprites, 8 directions for walking, talking, picking up (from ground, high shelves...), interactions, climbing, laying, setting.. and the list goes on. At one point, he wears his white spacesuit, which means all sprites must be re-drawn again with extra actions (micro-gravity floating, other interactions...). This is all fun and all. THEN, an orange suit shows up in the game. It's optional to use it, but when the player decides to give it a try, ALL views are changed into the orange suit. Which are hundreds of re-drawn sprites as well. I spent the last couple of weeks on that 8-0

So here's a peek at Carter wearing the cosmosuit near a crashed pod on Titan:

I'd also like to invite you to check on my first and only SoundCloud page I created a couple of days ago 8-)

Fitz

I know it's a half-assed solution, but wouldn't tinting the character make this a LOT easier?

Code: ags
cChar.Tint(int red, int green, int blue, int saturation, int luminance)

It's amazing how much work you put into this. I never did more than four directions, and I usually stick to just left/right -- which is not my "thing" ;)

Oh, and I subbed to your soundcloud channel. Nice track!

SilverSpook

Holy crap man!  That's a lot of animations for a suit change!  I have to agree that I'd go with tinting changes in the future.

Looks pretty cool though, I like the glowy effect in the latest screenshot.  Can't wait for this!

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Fitz on Wed 11/11/2015 10:32:59
I know it's a half-assed solution, but wouldn't tinting the character make this a LOT easier?

Quote from: SilverSpook on Wed 11/11/2015 10:45:06
Holy crap man!  That's a lot of animations for a suit change!  I have to agree that I'd go with tinting changes in the future.

I tint the character only when walking near colored lights, darker areas...etc
This is a different case, the suits are different, the helmets are different styles because the technologies of the rival nations are different...
Also not to forget that tinting the characters means their faces would be tinted as well ;)

Glad you like the track :-D I will post something over there every now and then.

Edit: Just to be clear: I draw over the previous suit sprites, so it's not 100% from scratch. Still, drawing sprites one by one and putting little differences.

AnasAbdin

Different suits? Different cursors :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk