Tardigrades ©

Started by AnasAbdin, Thu 08/05/2014 17:29:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabata

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Sun 22/10/2017 10:17:15
You can always rename it to "Space Bears" and switch the tardigrades with actual bears, fur and all. (laugh)
Why should he do that? 8-0
Everyone with real interest just needs to read his devlog to see that it is originally his idea
and not the other way around. (wtf)

So instead of what ||:Click:|| wrote he might rather add to the games description something like
"Play the game that obviously even  the creators of ... already 'inspired' for a movie!" 8-)

Creamy

QuoteThe main question here is could two people think of giant blue Tardigrades being used for instantaneous space travel? If two people having this idea is one in a billion, then adding the similar characters to the equation draws many suspicions. Yes, any show can have gay characters, but in this case of the common giant blue Tardigrades, why are the gay couple looking the same too? (Bearded man with an ethnicity background and a very blonde boyfriend). Not to mention that the show hinted that one of the gay characters has a long distance relationship with a 'friend' on another federation ship.
I get your point, troubling indeed.

Quote"Play the game that obviously even  the creators of ... already 'inspired' for a movie!" 8-)
I don't know if you can say that as long as STD creators don't acknowledge it themselves but you could probably mention the respective dates on the game page since you have evidence to support it.

CaptainD

Although the similarities are very striking, it seems that you can reasonably easily prove that you came up with the idea first if there was any thought of a legal challenge on IP.  Of course the fact that a huge corporation could throw massive amounts of money at a legal team which you would not be able to.

I'm really not sure the two areas clash, although the issue might be different if (when) they release a game (or games) based on the series - even then there would only seem to be a definitive clash in the rather unlikely scenario that they release a commercial retro point and click adventure game.

The legal stance on fan-made material has got stricter since a crowd-funded Star Trek movie was deemed to be making profit rather than simply covering costs - with the makers paying themselves salaries from the funding etc - and this has led to genuine fan projects such as the excellent "Star Trek Continues" agreeing to come to an end.  However Tardigrades is in no way a fan-game so I don't think this is likely to make too much difference.

Of course I'm coming from the angle that what you want to do is simply protect yourself from any possible legal action on their part against you - if you were to want to take legal action against them it's a completely different matter and I have no idea what I would advise.  Perceived wisdom would seem to indicate that the little guy going up against a huge corporation is doomed to failure whoever is in the right, but obviously there are exceptions to every rule.

Apologies for a slightly longer than intended spew of words and if I'm repeating what others have said - I have not read every word of every post leading up to this.

selmiak

This really seems like a ripoff. The bad thing is they have a big team and are faster and finished already. So you should finish the game too and then sue them.
You have all the concepts and dated blogposts and forumposts there to proof you came up with all the imagery first, they can't sue you and backfire, of course they could try, but it would be nonsense. But then, they already ripped you off without acknowledging your creative work so they could be that stupid and try this too! But they probably rather pay you some good money to shut you up (shout loud!) and in the best case this draws some big waves and your game gets known better and sells better. win win :)

Danvzare

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 25/10/2017 19:01:15
and in the best case this draws some big waves and your game gets known better and sells better. win win :)
After all, who wouldn't want to play the game that sued the creators of Star Trek Discovery. :-D After all, there's no such thing as bad publicity. (Well actually there is, but this isn't one of them.)

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Tabata on Sun 22/10/2017 12:19:06
"Play the game that obviously even  the creators of ... already 'inspired' for a movie!" 8-)

I love this :-* :-* :-*

On the IP subject, shady things are happening and the network is trying to be as quite as possible. I learned that several people posted questions about the issue on the show's official page and got deleted immediately. Threads in other forums talk about the issue get buried quickly with new topics opened quickly after, or even down-voted quickly.

The worst part of all, is the hack attacks on my twitter account. Now almost every time I log on my twitter I'm asked to enter a verification code sent to my personal mobile number to make sure it is me. Not to mention the amount of hate mail and malware sent to me :-\

This nice dude reached me last night and posted this later:

There are several videos and magazine articles from all over the world talking about the issue, still complete ignorance from their side.
PCGamesN Article

I'm trying hard to clear my mind to keep on AGSing, as for now I'd like to share my #screenshotsaturday to help me push my AGSing further.

Stupot

The fact that they are ignoring you and burying questions smacks of guilt. If you're not already you should try to keep a detailed diary of all such things. Including hack attempts and hate mail.

Loving the new background :-)

Riaise

That is a really lovely background! :)

I can't say much about the Star Trek situation because I haven't seen the show, but the whole thing seems to be becoming more and more suspicious. Also, the hate mail and hacking is totally uncalled for. I'm glad you're just carrying on and not letting them get to you. :)

Danvzare

Wow... just wow.
Personally, I'm surprised they even thought it was necessary to attack you with hacking and hate mail. You must be honored with how popular Tardigrades must be to warrant that kind of reaction (even though I bet it's very stressful).

Chin up though, and keep chugging along. We're all here for you. :)

As for everyone else, prepare yourselves. CBS might attack here as well. :undecided:

By the way, awesome screenshot. :-D

dactylopus

all of the Star Trek discussions aside, I'm really enjoying the work you're doing.  That new image you posted is beautiful.  Keep it up!

Click'd

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sat 28/10/2017 10:40:37
The worst part of all, is the hack attacks on my twitter account. Now almost every time I log on my twitter I'm asked to enter a verification code sent to my personal mobile number to make sure it is me. Not to mention the amount of hate mail and malware sent to me :-\
Disgusting. And to think I REALLY liked Star Trek once...

Cassiebsg

Lovely BG! Now I wish I was there and could bathe in that crystal clear water. (nod)

And I feel the pain of all the attacks going your way. :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

rongel

Good luck with the project in spite of all, stay strong. That background looks awesome!
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

Vainamoinen

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sun 22/10/2017 08:18:01
The main question here is could two people think of giant blue Tardigrades being used for instantaneous space travel? If two people having this idea is one in a billion, then adding the similar characters to the equation draws many suspicions. Yes, any show can have gay characters, but in this case of the common giant blue Tardigrades, why are the gay couple looking the same too? (Bearded man with an ethnicity background and a very blonde boyfriend). Not to mention that the show hinted that one of the gay characters has a long distance relationship with a 'friend' on another federation ship.

If you break down the questions into individual ones, someone may call it a rare coincidence. But this is too much.

Note that my Tardigrades game's devlog here, on my blog, my YouTube promo videos and every other social media outlet I use have dates that cannot be forged. And still I get threats that I will get sued and have my game's production cancelled.

Sir, that won't change by making ludicrous accusations via an alt-right proxy (little blue skull guy).

You're making a heavily Star Trek inspired game that even has a black female "Communications Engineer". You're going way over the line of being reasonable when you peddle "Yolanda" as your original supporting character that Discovery ripped off with their main (MAIN!) character Michael Burnham. You were very clearly inspired by Uhura when you drew up Yolanda, and it's totally OK. It's cool. I love that. These obvious references are something I want in my games. But it puts you in kind of an icky situation when you accuse someone else of infringing on your copyright.

Could two people think of giant blue tardigrades being used for instantaneous space travel? The answer is well of course they can. Since the Tardigrades in Space program (TARDIS) in 2007, a whole effing lot of sci-fi writers did already, were inspired by this particular space program just like Roddenberry was by others back in his day. Besides, the way a single tardigrade is "used" in Discovery is wholly different than its usage in your Tardigrades game (a hug and a teleport is entirely different from drawing on a species' gene inherent galaxy map, i.e. using the creature as a savant co-pilot instead of a mere traveling device). The icing on the cake is of course that the single tardigrade on Discovery that made a mere three episode stint is not blue. It_just_isn't.

http://www.picturehost.eu/uploads/568e4a111fbac9ef3d3390bfcd293d37_justnotblue.png

In space and on the Discovery, they often show the creature bathed in strong blue light (a space movie trope for more than 50 years and counting; plus the favorite food of the big guy emits blue light). They do that with other characters too, but no one would say that Michael Burnham is blue, would they.

The accusation that the design of a non-white homosexual couple was stolen from you is a joke. And the punchline is unfortunately doubly xenophobic. :( "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations", that's the Vulcan motto. The couple on the Discovery, hence, is nothing special. There's nothing special, nothing worth stealing from others, in using a non-white actor for half of that couple (here: a man of Arabic heritage, there: a man of African American heritage). And in my opinion, the sole reason they dyed Anthony Rapp's natural hair blonde is that Cadet Tilly remains the only redhead in the show (I love redheads. They really should have gone with what Rapp has on his scalp already). It only becomes special, original even, when we call white and hetero the "norm". And we don't want to do that, we really, really don't.

By all means, please continue your work, but drop this Discovery-stole-from-me crap. You can easily prove that your plot ideas precede Star Trek Discovery, and should they attempt to shut your project down, I'll be going apeshit over the entire internet on your behalf. But not when you're posting videos by "free speech activists" like little blue skull guy here. That guy's not your friend. He's being well paid for trying to dishonestly manufacture outrage against anything even remotely related to social justice, and surprise, he picks on Social Justice the Actual Sci-Fi Series. "Boo-hoo, they said fuck a whole bunch". 8-)

Stay strong (the people who try to hack you are a-holes).
But above all, stay moral.

You must have known what to think of the guy's activism when he likened Escape from Monkey Island to an "old school" "Sierra" game. ;)

Gurok

Quote from: Vainamoinen on Sat 28/10/2017 18:06:28
You must have known what to think of the guy's activism when he likened Escape from Monkey Island to an "old school" "Sierra" game. ;)

Not sure why you're putting old school in quotes. 2000 was the tail end, but it's definitely within the old school of adventure games. He gets the Sierra attribution wrong, but he's clearly not an adventure gamer, so I can forgive him for that.

Welcome to the forum, I guess :\
I assume Darth just edited out the image, but I'm still curious.

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sat 28/10/2017 10:40:37

I've mentioned it to Anas already, but I got a login attempt too. I haven't had any in all my years of Twittering. Very strange timing.

I wonder whether the attempts are from CBS or just fans intent on burying this like the single-post keyboard warrior above.

If I were in your situation, I would be really scared by all of these threats. I'm glad you're brave enough to stand up, but why shouldn't you be? I mean, it's your work. It's years of development. You're just one guy, but that doesn't make it right. They can't trample over your work like this. I hope you do continue to get the word out, Anas.

Love the new screenshot too, especially in animated form! I still think you animate water very beautifully.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Vainamoinen

Quote from: Gurok on Sun 29/10/2017 01:33:11
Not sure why you're putting old school in quotes. 2000 was the tail end, but it's definitely within the old school of adventure games. He gets the Sierra attribution wrong, but he's clearly not an adventure gamer, so I can forgive him for that.

Welcome to the forum, I guess :\
I assume Darth just edited out the image, but I'm still curious.

I don't want to derail this thread too much (in fact, I just want it to stay on topic of the development instead of bogus plagiarism accusations from either Tardigrades or Discovery authors, which the activism of little blue skull absolutely tries to provoke from CBS â€" which would be a total feast and win for him but an utter loss for this game. :( :( I don't usually forgive little blue skull guy for breathing). Thanks for the welcome, I'm aware that this is kind of ninja foruming, but I've been breathing in point & clicks since 1993, and loathed EMI for not being that. I've wanted to make an AGS game for so long, but, don't we all.

I can still see the picture as a link in my post, but don't want to renew it just in case it's against forum rules (it is copyrighted material after all, though cropped for detail). It collects four instances in which the creature on the Discovery is shown only in partial blue light or in almost natural lighting situations. Its actual color is more of a muddish dark brown on top, with a light red/pink underbelly. You have to do a bit of a dig to find these images; blue lighting signals mysticism and imminent danger in the series, and the tardigrade is supposed to embody both.

AnasAbdin

Thanks all! Glad you like the background!
I can't wait until you are actually exploring these locations and listening to all the nature sounds!

josiah1221

Holy cow AnisAbdin, that screenshot is absolutely gorgeous! Love the water effects, you have definitely mastered that art :)

AnasAbdin

Thanks josiah1221 :-*
Glad you liked it!

Blondbraid

The last screenshot really is beautiful, so lush and colorful!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk