Tardigrades ©

Started by AnasAbdin, Thu 08/05/2014 17:29:56

Previous topic - Next topic

AnasAbdin

Let's say I was naïve and didn't understand the law.
Why did they offer not to sue me from the first place when my posts are years before theirs?

My project is already spoiled. When released, no one would be able to see the characters and concept I created without linking them to the show :/

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sat 01/06/2019 15:29:43
My project is already spoiled. When released, no one would be able to see the characters and concept I created without linking them to the show :/

I know it must be personal to you, but may be you are overexaggerating a bit or taking this too close to heart?
I mean, there are similar concepts everywhere, whole sci-fi media is filled with similar concepts. Guess same thing could've happened if someone was writing a book with what they considered to be original thing and then another book released only bit earlier with similar ideas.

A dumb example: if anyone would make a movie about "Monkey Island" today it will probably be linked and compared with "Pirates of Caribbeans" (yeah, well, they are based of same thing initially, but still).

Ben X

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sat 01/06/2019 15:29:43
Let's say I was naïve and didn't understand the law.
Why did they offer not to sue me from the first place when my posts are years before theirs?

To clarify, I don't understand the law either; I'm asking from a position of ignorance!

I think if you make a good game (and it does look ace), most people who notice the similarities will get over them very quickly. And reasonable people won't be put off by the legal wranglings; all you're losing is arsehole Trek obsessives.

AnasAbdin

Crimson Wizard: What you're referring to -I think- is what their lawyers are trying to force on me, which is the concept of Scènes à  faire, the scenes that a specific genre usually have, like cowboy fights in western movies, parrots with pirates.. etc.. but the enlarged blue tardigrade used in space travel is a unique expression of an idea.

Ben X: oh my God I learned so much about the law in the last 2 years! And yeah I hope people get over the similarities and enjoy the game as an independent project :)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sat 01/06/2019 16:20:58
Crimson Wizard: What you're referring to -I think- is what their lawyers are trying to force on me, which is the concept of Scènes à  faire, the scenes that a specific genre usually have, like cowboy fights in western movies, parrots with pirates.. etc.. but the enlarged blue tardigrade used in space travel is a unique expression of an idea.

I don't know what happened for real, they could've "borrowed" it after seeing your screenshots/videos randomly found in the internet; or they could coincidentally come to similar thing. Sometimes weird stuff like that happens. It could be also a combination of different reasons, for instance the "blue" color is overused in modern sci-fi media, blue glow, blue special effects, blue lighting, it's everywhere.

Anyway, my point was that imho you may be seeing things in too bad light when you call your project "spoiled". But I guess BenX has expressed this with better words after my post.

Mandle

Anasabdin, you are a hero to me for soldering on in the face of intellectual dishonesty!

Go get 'em!!!

But I'm also sad that your pure project you were working on had to be sullied by this kind of bullshit.

And yet you do not focus on the negative and continue working on your vision.

You are THE MOTIVATOR!!!

AnasAbdin

Crimson Wizard: in this Space.com article, the show runner admitted that him and his writing team look for ideas from other shows and movies. So the 'borrowing' part is definitely happening. I hope you go over the full list of the similarities taken from Tardigrades.

Mandle: Thanks buddy. No one will get away. Don't worry. And I'll keep working no matter what  (nod)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sat 01/06/2019 17:40:05I hope you go over the full list of the similarities taken from Tardigrades.

Yes I did recently (I think), and I'll be honest, it's too bizzare to believe at first glance :D. Because one thing is to borrow a technical concept, but copy a character cast? and why? Weird.

EDIT:
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 01/06/2019 17:21:29but the enlarged blue tardigrade used in space travel is a unique expression of an idea.

BTW, if I understand correctly, their tardigrade is not really blue.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-SzP7lbESOc/maxresdefault.jpg
Spoiler

It is only shown in "blue light" in some scenes it seems.
NOTE: I did not see the show so can only judge by few screenshots and youtube videos.

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 01/06/2019 18:27:52
BTW, if I understand correctly, their tardigrade is not really blue.
It is only shown in "blue light" in some scenes it seems.

It doesn't matter. It's displayed blue on screen to the observer most of the time. Also they are trying to say that the tardigrade is not a major plot of the series, while its existence and abilities were the reason of the entire plots of the episodes and how the federation won the war against the Klingons... etc..

Jack

There is a huge difference between one point of similarity, and say, three points of similarity. Using the Borg as an example, if you have one point of similarity, your work contains a cyborg race. This is "Scènes à  faire, the scenes that a specific genre usually have".

But if your work contains a:
Cyborg race
That assimilates all other races
And flies around in powerful cube ships

Then you have "created" the Borg. With every point of similarity added, it becomes an order of magnitude less likely that the similarity is coincidental.

You can look to what the current owners of the Star Trek IP does to people who produce fan works for the only appropriate response.

AnasAbdin

Cheers Jack  :)

Quote from: Jack on Sat 01/06/2019 22:34:04
You can look to what the current owners of the Star Trek IP does to people who produce fan works for the only appropriate response.

This is where the hypocrisy begins whether from the corporations or their fans. Everyone has the rights to their IPs.

To give you a couple of examples of the similarities, this ancient Egyptian ship announced back in December 2014 called The Emitter. It sends signals in the form of intense light due to the distortion of Jupiter (radiation) and you need to take Carter for a spacewalk to reach there. This is exactly what Michael Burnham did as she took a spacewalk to the ancient ship "The Sarcophagus" in episode 1. The ship then "emitted" an intense signal in the form of light beams due to the background distortion and when the captain asked if that was a weapon, Burnham replied: "It seems to be some sort of signal emitter."

Spoiler
[close]

Another example is the Ethereal space. Where Carter appears in this alternative world. As he moves, you can see traces of his previous (past) sprites. Thanks to selmiak for the help!. For the first time in Star Trek, they managed to make this weird connection thing through long distances as well. The way they enter the world, how it looks, the dots.. backgrounds.. They even had an alternative way to induce the entry by placing a device on Burnham's head. Like Carter here.

Spoiler
[close]

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sun 02/06/2019 07:09:48
To give you a couple of examples of the similarities, this ancient Egyptian ship announced back in December 2014 called The Emitter. It sends signals in the form of intense light due to the distortion of Jupiter (radiation) <...> The ship then "emitted" an intense signal in the form of light beams due to the background distortion

Hey, I am being curious but could not understand, would you explain what have you meant by "distortion" in this phrase? Like, does it mean that the emitter works using planet's radiation, or something else?

PS. I probably have missed a lot in this project, I've been reading this thread back in 2014-15.

AnasAbdin

Distortion from the massive radiation levels from the Juvian system.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sun 02/06/2019 12:29:03
Distortion from the massive radiation levels from the Juvian system.

That did not help, sorry :). I am probably missing some space knowledge, because don't clearly get the meaning of distortion in this context. Does it distort the light? and how is it related to emitter work?

Another thing I wanted to ask, if you don't mind because it's about an old stuff, but also about another kind of "distortion" (sort of), I was curious about whether you were able, or someone was able to help, with this bending effect mentioned in the months old post:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50444.msg636577850#msg636577850

I am asking because I've seen people doing various image effects in AGS in several relatively recent games.

AnasAbdin

Sorry about that. In this context, the intense light would survive the distortion, I think other types of rays like gamma or x would also survive, but I chose light. Typical communication signals would be distorted.

As for the plug-in, I ended not using it because it slowed the performance :/ ..if I figured how to overcome this I would definitely use it.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sun 02/06/2019 13:38:18
Sorry about that. In this context, the intense light would survive the distortion, I think other types of rays like gamma or x would also survive, but I chose light. Typical communication signals would be distorted.

Ah, it's clear now, thank you.

Matti

I would also like to add that the game is not spoiled for people like me who don't watch the show (and also the ones who watch the show but can accept your game as an original work).

I wish you all the best regarding the lawsuit and the development of the game!

CaptainD

Quote from: Matti on Mon 03/06/2019 18:55:34
I would also like to add that the game is not spoiled for people like me who don't watch the show (and also the ones who watch the show but can accept your game as an original work).

I wish you all the best regarding the lawsuit and the development of the game!

Couldn't have said it better myself, so just going to quote you. +1

AnasAbdin

Thanks Matti and Dave :) This means a lot to me :)

Here's the floating river screenshot:

and the 3D model:

jahnocli

I read today that researchers at Delft University in the Netherlands are hoping to bounce a tardigrade on a "quantum-mechanical trampoline" to demonstrate, for the first time, interaction between a living being and the quantum sub-atomic universe.
Life is a puzzle, a quest and an adventure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk