Higher resolution prototype game

Started by ThreeOhFour, Thu 15/05/2014 20:07:07

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

Hello!

I decided a few days ago to finally seriously focus on learning high res animation each night after work. Thus, I did, and have a small one room fully playable prototype game to show for my efforts. It's finishable!

What I'm mostly interested in is feedback about the animation style. The rest of the game is just stuff I quickly threw together - my intent was to see if I could create a game that's fully playable with high res animations, because I think animating a character is one thing, but being able to use the animations in a game is another thing entirely, and a super important part of the process.

Anyway, yes, enough blathering, if you'd like to check it out the link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrnklj6x54c524q/Dooooot%20Prototype.zip

All feedback appreciated, as always!

selmiak

I don't get why he moves his one leg so far up when bending over to touch things. And the brain is a bit too distorted when he jumps, but all in very smooth animations. How did you do it?

ThreeOhFour

To do the character animations I used a combination of photoshop and anime studio. I agree the brain distorts a bit much there, chalk that up to me getting the hang of things. As for the leg extending, I've done extendable limbs before in low res, I kinda like to give stick leg characters inspector gadget style arms and legs. I certainly wouldn't do it for a character with more "realistic" limbs, but I wanted to start very simple for my first attempt.

Thanks for the feedback! :smiley:

miguel

I found the animations quite smooth. AnimeStudio is a great tool indeed. Good job!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Eric

I expect you'll get some backlash from pixel-lovers, but in my opinion, the animation and the environment are positively lovely. My 2.5 year old was totally sold on the game as well. My only suggestion is that some of the brushstrokes in the background are large and, while giving a whimsical feel, kill some of the effect of the field of depth, i.e. it looks more like a stage backdrop as a result.

But seriously, that's a minor suggestion, compared to the beauty of the rest of the work. I need to learn how to use AnimeStudio. I love the new MangaStudio for illustration.

ThreeOhFour

I agree about the brushstrokes, and they're largely due to the fact that I'm painting with a brand new program and I'm having trouble with control atm. I might see if I can touch up the scene and dampen some of them out.

I've not used Manga Studio, but have heard good things. Anime Studio has been odd to learn after doing frame by frame animation by hand for so long, but I can see some interesting potential here, and am curious to see what I can do with it. Thanks for the comments guys!

Ghost

It's certainly very different from your old style!

Not much to add to what has been said about the animations; I think your experience with (exaggerated) pixel-art will eventually give way to more "subtle" high-res frames. I do like the character a lot though. I mean, you have skills to build upon and this is mostly a transition phase.

What surprised me was how well your backgrounds translate from low to high-res. It's like you always had those little details in mind and could only hint at them and now things can be fully fleshed out. They are very, very nice. And there's something very recognizeable about them- that's a big "plus" I'd say.

I'll show that prototype to my niece. She's five now and she loves cartoony stuff, so expect some feedback from her too (laugh)

ThreeOhFour

Actually, I consider this very much a placeholder style. While I like the brushiness of it, it really lacks the level of detail I eventually want to give my scenes.

But, as I did with low res, I'm happy to start simple and then increase the amount of detail I work into scenes as my skills increase. My goal here is to make a usable style, and then with that in place, see about honing it as I grow more familiar and comfortable with it.

Ta, though! :grin:

Dropped Monocle Games

Really enjoyed this and its great to see someone else using AnimeStudio! the bone system takes some getting used to but you can get some really smooth animation when you have worked it all out, feel free to ask if you need any help with it, I have spent months pulling my hair out working out how to use it hehe.
What software did you use to paint the background?

ThreeOhFour

I haven't pulled any hair out, but I have spent quite a few swears on it already. I'm still to touch anything beyond the absolute basics, but I appreciate the offer of help! :)

For the background I used a combination of ArtRage and Photoshop Elements. Most of it was done in ArtRage, which I am rubbish at, but I also did some cleaning up/balancing and stuff in PS. I'm also still very much learning ArtRage as well, but love the cool painty effects I can get without the awful UI and insane price tag of Painter.

Ghost

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sat 17/05/2014 13:06:31
I'm also still very much learning ArtRage as well, but love the cool painty effects I can get without the awful UI and insane price tag of Painter.

If you ever find a good pencil setting, please share. I purchased Art Rage 3.5 Pro during a Steam sale and it's the most regrettably unused bit of software on my hard drive :D

ThreeOhFour

Ha, I will. I've literally only used the oil paint tool, I prefer sticking to one brush and style and using that, and so 90% of its features and tools are a total mystery to me. :=

Giraffadon

Tiz a very nice background. :-D
On the subject of Artrage it's definitely my best under-used program.

Mandle

Downloaded and took a look:

Immediate fan!!!

You made a possibly creepy character look so cute and move so fluidly and cutely that you cannot not like him/her/it

frenzykitty

I love the prototype! The animation is perfectly quirky,  and that character has definite cute-cult-following potential,  like Sackboy for example! The sounds are also lovely

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Ben, you make some of the craziest stuff I've ever seen but I'm envious of your energy and the speed your skills develop at.  The animation of the sphere guy is great.

Haggis

LostTrainDude

A really well made experiment, in my humble and ignorant opinion (laugh)

I can't really remember if I saw anything like the gas from the chimney and the little explosion in your other works but if they're not using a "particle system" they are very very smooth and realistic animations.

Regarding the main character. I like how Broken Age-ish its movements are, when interacting with something. I'm not really sure about the speed of the walkcycle. Somehow it makes it feel like it is too huge for the level it moves in.

Great stuff as always, anyway! :-D

P.S.: Did you find it difficult to achieve this, using the latest AGS Editor edition?
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

.M.M.

Great style! The animation reminds me of adventures called Machinarium and Botanicula.
By the way, I see I could practice with ArtRage little more. :-)

Chicky

The sound effects are lovely, animations are pretty neat too! Don't give up on the frame by frame approach though, A bit of both would be ideal :)

It would be even more lovely if you animated the texture of the background, like the paint strokes are continuously swirling around.

The control scheme and movement was tight as ever, cool stuff Ben.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk