Like A Dream

Started by Junkface, Sun 25/05/2014 13:09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkface

I've made a short game about the twentieth century and the broken promises of modernism and the machine age. It's designed to rely more on mood and imagery than puzzles, but I've tried to design it to be fairly responsive to player input, while maintaining the sense of inevitability of a dream.

It can be downloaded from here.

Thanks to all those who've responded to my queries on the technical forums.

Any feedback on the game would be appreciated.

selmiak

Now I blink in synch with my mousemovement ;-D

Junkface

Haha, I was aiming to have a visceral effect but not quite like that. :smiley:

Mandle

I'm so interested in this game but my laptop can't handle the resolution.

How do I adjust the settings so it runs properly on a small screen?

Junkface

That's odd - I have a laptop with a fairly small screen myself and the game should only need 640x400. If you're getting an error message and the game not even launching, perhaps check that "Graphics Driver" is set as "DirectDraw 5" (it's 8-bit so likely won't work in Direct3D) and that "Graphics filter" is either "None" or "Max nearest-neighbour filter". If, instead the game is launching but the graphics are distorted, try selecting "Force alternate letterbox resolution" under "Advanced". I expect one of those options will resolve it, otherwise, worst case scenario, you could try running it in a window.

I hope the game proves worthy of your interest.:)

xil

I liked the idea and the originality of the programming but it just seemed a bit too quick for my liking. It was also very hard to follow probably because it was quite deep and meaningful. I got to the bit with the blimp but couldn't get any further than the man.

Maybe to help people like myself realise the meaning it should be split into what you have, followed by a more basic explanation after an action has been completed, that way I would get much more out of the game. It could be as simple as slapping some words on the screen in a generic manor and require the user press 'next' for example. That being said, I'm just not the sort of guy who is going to play a deep thought provoking game unless I'm in that exact perfect mood, so it's not like that's a fault. It's be more of a suggestion of how to reach a wider audience perhaps?
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Junkface

Spoiler
The speed is intended to change based on the player, i.e. incomprehensibly fast if the mouse is moved as normal, more contemplative if the player wants.
[close]
The meaning, I was aiming to be somewhat ambiguous and should arise from the imagery and quotes rather than from a coherent narrative - it's possible that if you don't take a clear meaning from the game this is a failing of the imagery and structure I've chosen, or at least that they may be suited to a quite limited audience.

Thanks for the honest and thoughtful response.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk