June Tune Contest: Animals

Started by kaput, Mon 02/06/2014 19:09:07

Previous topic - Next topic

kaput

In this tune contest your task is to compose a tune or 'soundtrack' for an animal. Great compositions have the power to evoke all different kinds of emotions in the listener and tell all sorts of deep and elaborate stories. You can pick any animal you like. Cat, dog, panda, whatever. That's up to you. Try to include a short description to accompany your tune. Have fun ;)

No restrictions.

This contest ends 1st July.

kaput

I'd hate to come across as too vague, so for anyone having problems in getting their head around the idea, here are some things to maybe consider:

1) How the animal moves - does it sprint quickly like the cheetah or plod slowly like a turtle?
2) Is it (stereo-typically maybe) a loud and intimidating beast or quietly cute furry?
3) if it were an instrument, would it wriggle from note to note like a snake or leap quickly like a frog?
4) Does it sore like an eagle or kingfisher in crescendo or does it travel to a concentrated and calculated melody like, I dunno, an ant? :P

Hope that helps 'the flow'... 

DrewCCU

Can it be a shark?!? I've got a great idea with a minor second motif! ;-)
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

JasonB

Here's my entry.  Its a giant squid.  The organ, bass and drums are (supposed to be) the ominous body.  When the guitar hits the 32nd notes, the tentacles are out and no holds are barred!

https://soundcloud.com/jason-b/giant-squid-attack

kaput

Nice tune and a great atmosphere, I can totally see it! Pretty bad ass indeed.

So, Jason has thrown down the gauntlet. Let the battle commence.

Erenan

Mine is also a squid.

Of a Squid

This is really slow and boring and it lasts six and a half minutes. The description of this piece's origin is as follows:

Erenan: Why isn't there a squid in Peter and the Wolf?
Erenan's Composition Teacher: Um...
Erenan: That gives me an idea!

There's also a score, if you want to follow along.
The Bunker

kaput

Yeah, another entry! A battle of the squids I see. I'll go and listen to it just now. In the meantime, deadline is approaching, folks! Get the tunes in.

kaput

So we had two squid themed entries. Both had completely different styles and both created a nice, relevant atmosphere.

JasonB's entry was a pretty kick ass metal take on the dreaded squid attack, movie style. Whilst Erenan took on a more secluded, slow paced and classical approach, that I found quite thought provoking. Both pieces had something special. It was pleasantly surprising to have the score of Erenan's tune to accompany it, kudos.

My personal favourite is JasonB's piece and if the theme was epic, it would be a sure win. But all things considered, and under the condition of no restrictions, I have to give the win and the next month to Erenan.

Congrats, Erenan. The next month is yours ;)

JasonB

Congrats Erenan!  I also liked being able to follow along with the score.  The piece develops nicely.

kaput

Erenan, start up next month's competition or I'll revoke your win and give it to JasonB! ;) You have two days!

Erenan

Yeah, I'll start the next one later tonight. Sorry, I was on vacation in Oahu, so I wasn't exactly using the Internet as much as usual. :tongue:

Hooray! I won! I want to say that I really enjoyed JasonB's track a lot.
The Bunker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk