AGS World Cup Prediction League 2014

Started by Stupot, Sat 07/06/2014 13:05:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

AGS World Cup Prediction League 2014

View Spreadsheet and League Table

Welcome to the first (I think) AGS World Cup prediction League.

World Cup fever is nearly upon us, and suddenly we're all armchair experts.
Well why don't you put your proverbial money where your proverbial mouth is and become the proverbial World Cup Prediction Champion 2014

The way it will work is simply this: you predict the scores and earn points.  The person with the most points at the end of the tournament wins the League.

There are some rules, however.  Please read them carefully:
(in spoiler tags to save space)
Spoiler

Rules

(1) I will start taking predictions for the 48 group stage games from the moment I post the thread in AGS and will continue to accept predictions for group stage games until after all teams have played two games (namely, June 22 is your last chance to submit predictions for group stage games).

(2) The League will be closed to new participants on June 22. This is to allow for late comers, though obviously you may not submit predictions for games that have already been played, but it is still worth joining even if you join late, because points in later rounds are worth more.

(3a) Scoring will work like this for each game:

If you predict the correct RESULT you score one point*
If you predict the correct SCORE you score three points**
if you FAIL to make a correct prediction you score nil points
If you FAIL to submit a prediction for a game before the game's kick-off time, you will LOSE one point***

*RESULT here means correctly predicting the winning team or correctly predicting a tie/draw.
**SCORE here means correctly predicting the actual scoreline.
***You will not be penalised for the games you missed if you joined late, but once you join you will be expected to submit a prediction for all future games, and will be deducted one point for each game you fail to make a prediction for.

(3b)During the knockout stages all points are DOUBLED (so two points for correct RESULT and six points for correct SCORE). For the FINAL all points will be TRIPLED (three for RESULT and nine for SCORE).  I hope this will add some excitement.

(3c) The winner will be the person who has the most points after the final game of the World Cup is played on July 13th 2014.
(i) If in the event of a tie after all games have been played, the number of overall correct scores predicted will decided the winner.
(ii) If there is still a tie, the number of overall correct results predicted will determine the winner.
(iii) If, there is still a tie, the participant with the fewest deductions will be the winner.
(iv) If there is still a tie, then the participant who joined first will be the winner (namely, the person who submitted their predictions to me earliest).  And if, for some rason that STILL doesn't determine a winner then they will be crowned joint champions (no, not champions of pot smoking).

(4a) How you submit your predictions is up to you, you can do all 48 group stage games now, before the tournament starts, or you can do them in drips and drabs.  Though, the more you do in one batch the easier the data will be for me to manage. Ideally, you'll submit a nice full list of 48 predictions before the tournament even starts, though this is not a rule.

(4b) Please bear in mind that each prediction must be submitted before the relevant game kicks off, so it is probably wise to get them done early.  And please remember rule (2).

(5) The latter knockout stages are, for obvious reasons, closed to predictions during the majority of the group stage.  However, you may start submitting predictions for the outcomes of knockout stage games from the moment the fixture is decided up until the game's kick-off time. I will prompt for relevant predictions when the time comes.

(6) A submission is considered 'submitted' if it has been posted in the AGS thread OR PM'ed to me.  The former will be better if you want to share your predictions with other people, although they will all be visible on the Spreadsheet for anyone to see.  To reiterate, The AGS thread and AGS Private Message are the only two ways to submit predictions.  Predictions received by any other means will not count.

(7) Once you have submitted a prediction for a game, it cannot be changed (unless you can convince me there is an extremely good reason for doing so).

(8a) When submitting predctions please use the following format:

Date     k/oTime   TeamA * v * TeamB

swapping the dashes (*) for the number of goals you think each team will score. For example:

Jun 15   2300    England 3 - 1 Italy
Jun 16   0200    Ivory Coast 5 - 2 Japan

(8b) Please use the template provided in Spoiler Tags in the first post of the thread. It will help you make your predictions more quickly and easily and it will help me to see them and manage them more efficiently.  If possible please refrain from using BOLD tags for anything other than the predictions themselves.

(9) Only results after normal time count (90 mins + time added on).  Goals scored during extra time or penalties will not be included. So, if you predicted a 1-1 draw and the game goes on to extra tme and finishes 2-1, you will still win the points provided the score at the regular full-time whistle was 1-1.

[close]

I will be maintaining the spreadsheet and league table on a publicly viewable document. I will also keep the league table in this first post as updated as possible, though I won't always be able to update things straight away. But rest assured, if you submitted a valid prediction before its deadline, it will count, even if you can't see it reflected in the spreadsheet yet. It just means I'm probably asleep or at work.  I'm in the Japanese time-zone through this, so please bear with me.

Please use the template below for posting your predictions:
Spoiler

Fill in the predicted scores and copy/paste, keeping the [b][/b]tags intact.

(Times are in BST)

Runner-up game
[b]Jul-12        2100 Brazil - vs - Netherlands[/b]

Final
[b]Jul-13        2000 Germany - vs - Argentina[/b]

[close]

Here is a link to the Spreadsheet and League Table

So. Who's in?

-Stu

miguel

This is one of the happiest days while being an AGSer: football is on topic! Great one Stu!
I'm in,
here's my first predictions:

Jun-12 2100 Brazil 2 - 1 Croatia
Jun-13 1700 Mexico 1 - 1 Cameroon
Jun-13 2000 Spain  2 - 2 Netherlands
Jun-13 2300 Chile 1 - 0 Australia
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Stupot

Well, I'm glad someone's happy. Thanks for starting us of Miguel.
Not all AGSers are football fans, but it's a bit of fun anyone can join in.  If I can get 10-20 people to join in, I'll be happy.

CaptainD

Okay, let's give this a try...

Jun-12 2100 Brazil 4 - 2 Croatia

Jun-13 1700 Mexico 2 - 0 Cameroon

Jun-13 2000 Spain  1 - 3 Netherlands

Jun-13 2300 Chile 3 - 0 Australia

Going for some bigger scores here! :-D

miguel

Phew...I expect Spain to start on the bad side but 3 goals against?

CaptainD

Quote from: miguel on Sat 07/06/2014 14:05:08
Phew...I expect Spain to start on the bad side but 3 goals against?

I dunno... I just get the impression that their time is up.  I could, of course, be sensationally wrong! :-D :-D

miguel

I believe you're right but 3 goals...anyway it's cool to watch Stu fixing his board while we talk football, LIVE!

Stupot

Thanks Cap'n. Your predictions are in.
Don't worry about all the random numbers and stuff.  I'm just leaving them there for a few days so people can kind of see how the scoring works.
By the way? can you guys see the tab for the League Table?  There should be three sheets, Main, League Table, and Rules.  But when I tried checking on a diferent browser I could only see the first one.  Do I have to provide a different link for other sheets?

miguel

I can see all three tabs (main, league and rules). Using Firefox.

Stupot

Ahh okay great.  IE really is as crap as people say.

CaptainD

It really is! :cheesy:

Works fine in Chrome.

Tabata

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 07/06/2014 14:17:48
...  IE really is as crap as people say.
Are you sure it is?
What version is your IE?

It works fine in IE 11 for me   

Stupot

Quote from: Tabata on Sat 07/06/2014 16:16:17
Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 07/06/2014 14:17:48
...  IE really is as crap as people say.
Are you sure it is?
What version is your IE?

It works fine in IE 11 for me   
Ahh, yeah, in fairness it is IE8.  It's my girlfriend's computer and it doesn't look like she's ever updated it.
Will you be partaking, Tabata?

Radiant

CaptainD

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 07/06/2014 20:10:09
Quote from: CaptainD on Sat 07/06/2014 14:02:10
Jun-13 2000 Spain  1 - 3 Netherlands

Yes! I concur!

Are you being partisan or is that a genuine prediction? ;)

Stupot

Anyone else in? I guess you're all just giving it a good ponder before submitting.
We'll need more than two to make it a 'league' (nod)

miguel

Devs and Football don't really mix, I suppose? Or maybe people are "afraid" of revealing their thoughts? If so then it's a dumb thing because we're all but sofa coaches here,
Here's more results from me:

Jun-14 1700 Colombia 1 - 1 Greece
Jun-14 2000 Uruguay 3 - 1 Costa Rica
Jun-14 2300 England 1 - 1 Italy
Jun-15 0200 Côte d'Ivoire 2 - 0 Japan

DoorKnobHandle

Nah I'm just legitimately WAY too lazy to give out that many predictions! :)

miguel

4 at a time, DKH, you have until the 22th to post your predictions.

Tabata

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 07/06/2014 17:41:18
Will you be partaking, Tabata?
  soccer's nothing for me, sorry   

… but this thread is a nice idea. So I will pursue the shop talk in here and have fun

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk