Just something I need to get off my chest: Math Class

Started by Renodox, Mon 16/06/2014 07:50:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Renodox

Well, I re-enrolled in college to get a degree in information technology and I have been trapped in doing some of the most mundane and useless to me courses.  Lately, I have been put into a "Principles of Algebra" class.  Now I know that a lot of people consider this a hard class to get by, and I am by no means a mathematician but for crying out loud this is the FOURTH TIME I've taken a class based on this level of the subject.  The past 3 times I got an "A" in the course, so I feel like I don't need to retake it!  Darned if the school cares however.

Anyway, it's a 5 week course, it's not even the end of Week 1 and I've already completed every homework assignment, every online quiz, and every discussion problem for the entire class.  My grade is 90.5% and that's WITHOUT the participation points that can only be earned by discussing things with the class during their assigned weeks.  (wrong)

It's almost as bad as the last class I took which was just the use of Microsoft Office.  Again, I felt like I didn't NEED to take the course because I've been working computers since the days of DOS.

That was another class that I was able to finish in less than 1 week rather than have to work the whole 5.  Does no one believe in assessment tests anymore?  I mean, can't I just take a test to show that I already know the material and therefore don't need to waste my time and energy on these things?

I wanted to learn things like programming, networking, web-design, that kind of thing.  I suppose I will eventually, but it's the eventually that gets on my nerves.

Anyway, sorry to spam the board like this, :-[ it's just something that I needed to get off my chest and everyone I've tried to talk to in person just shook his/her head and encouraged me to just help the other students.

AnasAbdin

As a university prof., I know exactly what you are going through. IT education and bureaucratic administrative systems do not match. Try discussing this with your professors, they can be 'flexible' about this if you manage to show them your deep understanding of their courses, still it is a serious responsibility on the teachers and may cause them losing their jobs. Best they can do is to excuse you from classes and find a solution for the deliverance of your home works, projects etc... so you can have extra time to learn other things. My colleagues and I consider this an under the table solution (but no jumping years or skipping courses).

What you're going through is one of the main reasons many IT student take other specialized courses and diplomas with or without a university degree.

Babar

If you've done everything you can, just submit it all, and skip all the classes (keeping an eye on when tests and so on show up) and pretend it doesn't exist?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Intense Degree

Not necessarily completely relevant to your situation but still makes me smile...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk