Zniw Adventure - coming 06.11.2020 on Steam!

Started by CrashPL, Sun 22/06/2014 20:49:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabata

AnasAbdin

The screen transitions are amazing! 8-0

The little dinosaurs playing cards are the cutest thing ever :~( <-- tears of cuteness overload!

Blondbraid

CrashPL

Thanks a whole bunch CaptainD, Tabata, AnasAbdin and Blondbraid! :D

So, anyway, any kind of update would be nice, right? Sorry for being so quiet for nearly two months (and thanks for not locking the thread ;)), but I was swamped with work, both my day-time job and working on Zniw Adventure. But hey, hard work definitely paid off here, as Zniw Adventure was one of 29 indie games presented during the PGA 2017 (as they put it, "the largest gaming trade show in Poland!") on the Indie Games Poland booth!

We were really surprised by the amount of people visiting our stand, as we knew adventure games, especially 480p cartoony ones aimed for children, aren't exactly the kind of ones you'd want to play on a huge, loud event like that. We were really happy that everyone enjoyed the game (and for different reasons - some liked the general nostalgic feeling, some were really digging the classic animation and graphics, while other liked the dinosaurs and the setting/design). But most importantly - we received a whole lot of friendly and helpful feedback to make the experience even better. Some of which already has been implemented, including:

- animated waypoint arrows

- an animated, easier to understand quick help screen

- inventory cursors revamp. They now show the active inventory item, as well as behave in similar manner to standard ones - changing colour whenever an object/hotspot is beneath them

- while not a suggestion from the crowd, I also decided to redo all of the unlockable minigames sprites and animations, as I didn't really like the old ones:

By the way, if you're interested in the educational aspect of the game as well, then oh boy, you will be in for a treat - we redesigned the encyclopedia to include much more facts and trivia about our favourite animals and their environments:

So yeah, back to the work for us. As usual, have some more of the higher-quality dinosaur artworks too!

(man, I sure do hope my posts aren't THAT long and annoying for you...)

Click'd

Annoying? No way. I want to play this right now.

Cassiebsg

Far from annoying... just the opposite to be honest, I just can't get enough! :-D
Love all the improvments!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

eri0o

Hey, I loved your long posts! Have you filmed people playing your game? I would love to see that! And does the paper posters show the rooms stitched?

The animated waypoint arrows are a great idea! I also loved your Quick Help screen. These are things I maybe will steal :tongue:

I am anxious to play your game! Great Work! The animations are amazing! :-D

selmiak

<3 the Commodore styled minigame :D

All in all this is going to be a great game!!! :-D

Blondbraid

The GUI elements in the Gifs look great,you can tell at one glance exactly how everything works, it's great!

Fitz

I just love the new minigame graphics! Reminds me of my own first attempts at art on my C64.

And I was SO disappointed they didn't feature you on Polskie Gry Video's series on games from PGA.

Two Tales

I've been following this thread quietly from the shadows since first announced. As time has passed I've been progressively more excited. I'll definitely be playing it once released.

CyberUncleCat

Holy cow this is so lovely animated! Really good stuff! I wish you that your game sells well enough so both of you can quit your jobs and start making games for a living.

CrashPL

Wow, thank you very much, guys! You all are just so kind. :~( (<- tears of joy)

QuoteHave you filmed people playing your game? I would love to see that! And does the paper posters show the rooms stitched?

While I didn't really film anything (it was quite crowded and loud anyway), I took several pictures of people playing the game. You can view them here. :)

And yeah, we stapled the room structure of two locations to the wall for people to see. :) It was actually taken straight from our game design document, where we have a separate section for the room data and layout, with each room individually numbered (main location ID_room ID, so the first room of the Undercave is 4_1 etc.), along with notes and descriptions. It's much easier to manage the room data that way, especially when you have 98 rooms across 12 different locations. :D

(all of the rooms are organised exactly as how you'd visit them in the game)

And I was SO disappointed they didn't feature you on Polskie Gry Video's series on games from PGA.

To be honest, while many gamers have visited us, only one editor approached us to play the game and talk about it a bit. Not that I mind though, totally opposite - I'm glad so many people visited us, as I said before - an adventure game for kids isn't exacly the best type of game to be shown on a large and loud event like that. :)

QuoteI wish you that your game sells well enough so both of you can quit your jobs and start making games for a living.

Heheh, thanks! That would be a dream come true, actually. :D Juggling between life, day job and game development after hours can be tiring at times. Although I don't know if that much people would be interested in 2D cartoony point 'n clicks with dinosaurs. ;)

CrashPL

Here's some more animations for your viewing pleasure:

Nothing's better than arguing neighbours just outside your apartment after a long day's work, right?

Tactical Espionage Action also confirmed for prehistoric times.

Don't worry, these minigames are just unlockable bonuses, not mandatory for the story progression

Click'd

It feels wrong to criticise your great work, but...  (laugh) I'd like it better if the backside of the character's head in "tactical espionage action" was yellow, not white.

CrashPL

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Tue 12/12/2017 16:31:05
It feels wrong to criticise your great work, but...  (laugh) I'd like it better if the backside of the character's head in "tactical espionage action" was yellow, not white.

No worries, mate! I told Twarda about it. :D You're not the only one who wondered about good ol' Zniw's eyes, though - I mean, how exactly do they work? :D

Anyway, it's Christmas time, and to stay in the mood, there will be no pictures or animations today. Oh no, today it's gonna be something better. Treat it as a little Christmas present from me and Twarda. :)

Well, here it is - the new and updated demo version of Zniw Adventure, now containing an additional location, never seen in the ZA demo before, as well as more encyclopedia pages to unlock, Problem's tracks to listen and animations to view! The old demo was really ...old, outdated and didn't really reflect any of the changes we made in the game in the last several months. But now here it is, along with the updated AGS page:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1925/
(and a OneDrive mirror, in case DropBox decides to go nuts: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ANUpBSOUAm7kmJo&id=B5EF89C27FA0CD7C%2188906&cid=B5EF89C27FA0CD7C

Oh, and all the cool people are posting trailers/teasers of their excellent games, so I figured we might post a fresh one as well... it may look familiar at first, but don't worry, it's packed with new content. ;)

Well, enjoy. :D And thanks again for your support, people! Let's hope 2018 will bring only the best for all of us. :D (and the game will be finally finished... let's say we're on the last 4% now!)

Click'd

Hi.

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.4.0.16)

in "room998.asc", line 291

Error: Error running function 'oLangENG_Interact':
Error: Null pointer referenced

OK   

CrashPL

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Sun 24/12/2017 02:47:30
in "room998.asc", line 291

Error: Error running function 'oLangENG_Interact':
Error: Null pointer referenced

Hey, I sent you a PM. :) That's a weird issue, as 291th line is something that shouldn't make any problems (it deals with the menu music playback, it never occured for me, or our testers), I would be extra grateful for your feedback!

AnasAbdin

Omg how long have I beed away? I didn't check on those updates!
I mean I've seen some stuff on Twitter :P
I will try the demo soon (laugh)

Click'd

A good tester manages to break games. Yay me. Second game broken in as many days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk