Zniw Adventure - coming 06.11.2020 on Steam!

Started by CrashPL, Sun 22/06/2014 20:49:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Your graphics are actually gorgeous, and they're perfectly fit for (real, not shy 800x600) hi-res. Maybe you should consider doubling or tripling up the resolution of everything. It's not as a huge task as it sounds : If you apply a filter like Mame2x, then it will still look perfectly crisp, and you could bulk-do it: I think Imagemagick does it, so you can even do it as a batch. then the game files would be rather large, but I think your game is worth it.

CrashPL

Thanks a lot oareaso. :)

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Thu 28/04/2016 09:14:16
Your graphics are actually gorgeous, and they're perfectly fit for (real, not shy 800x600) hi-res. Maybe you should consider doubling or tripling up the resolution of everything. It's not as a huge task as it sounds : If you apply a filter like Mame2x, then it will still look perfectly crisp, and you could bulk-do it: I think Imagemagick does it, so you can even do it as a batch. then the game files would be rather large, but I think your game is worth it.

While this is a nice idea, wouldn't that also mean that I'd need to redraw all of the walkable areas/walk behinds/hotspots, as well as rescale the object/character sprites and rescript most of the resolution-dependent GUIs? 

All of the screens I posted on Steam, as well as the whole trailer, were taken from double resolution (1280x960), though I did it by simply setting the 2x nearest neighbour scaler in the options. ;)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: CrashPL on Fri 29/04/2016 11:15:22
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Thu 28/04/2016 09:14:16
doubling or tripling up the resolution of everything. It's not as a huge task as it sounds with a filter like Mame2x
While this is a nice idea, wouldn't that also mean that I'd need to redraw all of the walkable areas/walk behinds/hotspots, as well as rescale the object/character sprites and rescript most of the resolution-dependent GUIs? 

I'm not sure, actually. Run a test on a simple one-room game to see what happens. There were discussion about conversion of walkable areas/etc. in the past but I can't remember if it was ever implemented. That saidn I think it would be really worth it.

Quote from: CrashPL on Fri 29/04/2016 11:15:22
I doubled screenshots resolution by simply setting the 2x nearest neighbour scaler in the options. ;)
Yes, but nearest neighbour is just nearest neighbour. There would be no gain in doing that. What I'm talking about is this (any of these algorithms would greatly benefit your game style)
http://www.fortressofdoors.com/content/images/2015/09/upscalers.png

Come to think of it, maybe you shouldn't change anything in your game and just force-enable the smoothed 2x or 3x filter in the game settings (I'm not talking about enabling the antialias setting, I'm talking about the better upscaling filters -- I just can't remember which are available in AGS).

Anyways, I'm not going to pollute your thread any longer. Good luck with completion!

CrashPL

Hey, it's totally ok! I work as an engineer, so I like talking about such technical details. :D

Here's how it looks like in 1280x960, and nearest neighbour/AA filter (these two are available in the AGS runtime engine setup):

Darth Mandarb

Yeah... It's getting a little off topic in here!

For this type of discussion, if you're interested in such a discussion, open a thread in the Critics Lounge!

Now back to work (nod)

CrashPL

Yes sir. :D Sorry for that little offtopic.

Dunno exactly why, but many people apparently like that lake room, so, since it's fully finished, I'd like to present it in both day and night-time, now with 100% more animations (and 95% less colour)!

You can also check the step-by-step creation process here, from the rough sketch to finished background. :)

Blondbraid

How fun to see how it's made, I always love seeing concept art and watching things take form and it's a fascinating process.
It all looks beautiful! ;-D

Fitz

I've loved the art in this game from the start, but this is just epic! 8-0

CaptainD

Absolutely gorgeous visuals.  Can't understand how this hasn't been Greenlit yet!!

CrashPL

Thanks a whole lot, guys! We're really glad you liked them, thanks for all the support as well! Yeah, I hope one day we'll get Greenlit. :)

Anyway, today it's time for more animation goodies! The mysterious dinosaur from the previous artworks returns! Who might that be? Hint: no, it's not Zid.

One day I'll actually start worrying about that 30k sprite limit... :D

CrashPL

Seriously though - that was totally unexpected! I was checking the game's page while at work, and ZA was still in the queue limbo, and when I returned home - bam, suddenly I got a mail from Valve!
Thanks a whole bunch for everybody at the AGS forums! The game wouldn't be Greenlit in 18 days, if it weren't for your support, news-sharing and votes! :D You're such an awesome community!

Problem

Yay, congrats! I told you it would get greenlit before the end of the month! :-D

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Haggis

Blondbraid

Congratulations!
The world needs more games with dinosaurs in them!

CrashPL

Thanks again, everyone! :D Your support is totally awesome!

Anyway, we've been extra busy for the last couple of days, but we still managed to get this and that done in ZA. :) Here's another night time location artwork, now featuring 100% more glowing mushrooms and 100% less sun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk