Amazing technique to do procedural palette-based (or not) dithering in Photoshop

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Thu 12/11/2015 17:11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

I've found the holy grail. I'm sorry if some readers already knew about all this, but this blog article is blowing my mind.
It's everything I've always wanted to do in terms of pixel art, while having both the 8-bits look AND the comfort, power and flexibility of Photoshop.

BEHOLD! http://danfessler.com/blog/hd-index-painting-in-photoshop (by Dan Fessler)

Note: I've posted this in "aventure-related" because I consider this to be a general tip that is part of the gaùe production process (possibly for professionals) and does not fall in the "I've made a thing, please give me criticism" box.

Andail

Ghost

An awesome read, Monsieur, thank you for sharing! Looks like there are some cool new tricks to learn (nod)

AnasAbdin

OMG thanks Monsieur ;-D Now I have plans for my next 4628336473 games 8-)

Kumpel

I am a Gimper. Have you guys found anything about if and how I can replicate this method there?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Kumpel on Sat 14/11/2015 12:43:06
I am a Gimper. Have you guys found anything about if and how I can replicate this method there?

Does Gimp have transformation layers? If not, then you can't do it.

Monsieur OUXX

Additional explanations on the blog of another pixel artist : http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/instant-pixel-art-backgrounds-with-the-dan-fessler-method/
That tutorial does not describe exactly the same technique as Dan Fessler (it's more restrictive) but it helps understanding what Dan Fessler is talking about when he plays around with adjustment layers. It makes it easier.

ollj

okay looking nice, but dithering is neither good for compression, nor good for image quality, except for limited palettes.
increasing color depht is always better than dithering and a lot of image formats and any archive format produce smaller filesizes with less dithering, even with higher color depth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk