Started by alphadalekben, Thu 31/07/2014 10:57:13

Previous topic - Next topic

faerieevenstar

I was bored so I drew a version of the man in glasses but used my imagination as there wasn't much to go on ;)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/faerieevenstar/mansuit_zps565c045a.jpg (link instead of posting in thread so I don't have to massively shrink it, and I can't work out cuts because I have a headache)

I'm not sure about the style, he just ended up that way, I guess that's the vibe I got!

I wanted to have a go at the rest, but I couldn't really understand much of what you wanted the main character to look like, so I would be making it up entirely :p

I've not worked on a game before, but I'll happily do some doodles to help you on your way if you want me to. Give me a poke if you do. (sorry if this breaks rules as this isn't the recruitment section, I was bored and looking for some subject matter to draw. If it does break rules, please remove with my apologies)

alphadalekben

@faerieevenstar I like your interpretation of Evans. He wears a lab coat rather than a suit, but it's a heck of an improvement over my original. I wouldn't mind you doing a few more doodles for me, just to help find a definite style. I was considering cancelling the game as I've lost all of my progress due to loosing the memory stick where it was stored. But I think I might start again from the top thanks to your inspiration. Besides the artwork in the tech demo was only temporary so, if you're up for it, it means we've ourselves an artist!

Darth Mandarb

So this isn't in production at the moment?

alphadalekben

Well, I was considering cancelling it, but faerieevenstar's contribution has encouraged me to carry on with the project. So yes, it is in production.

faerieevenstar

Message me some details and I can see what I can do :grin:

alphadalekben

I'll send you some drafts of the story when they're in a state to be sent. Exciting, huh? Would you mind redrawing the screenshots that I've got on the first page in the meantime?

alphadalekben

Just food for thought for a decision I'm making. I'm debating whether to keep the first-person gameplay of the tech demo and improve upon it, or to start with a traditional point-and-click style of gameplay (MI, AAI etc.). What do you guys think????

Gurok

I think traditional point and click might offer more engaging gameplay. You could still use the first-person parts as cutscenes.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

alphadalekben

Cheers for the input. Now I just need to finish the draft for the demo and create the demo with the new artwork implemented.

alphadalekben

First things first, the story for 58 is nearly completely written, so work on artwork and game engine shall begin in the new year.

Secondly, as you can most likely tell from the title, the game has been renamed to 'The Count - Darren Fowler's Early Cases' and reworked to include a total of four episodic cases with the following titles: 58, Crashing The Party, Shadows (which is a side story which ties into the main story) and Endgame (Endgame also tying up the loose ends of the first two cases).

Here are plot synopses for the three new cases:

Crashing The Party

The trial for the mysterious circumstances of a prosecutor's murder takes a bitter turn whilst Darren and Evans investigate the maniacal obsessions of Susan Johnson.

Shadows

Disgraced detective Ritchie Brenning investigates a murder in the forest, which takes a turn for the supernatural.

Endgame

The murder of a familiar face reveals the true plot behind the 58 Incident and the true identity of 'The Count'.

Because of this, the planned demo has been cancelled and will instead be released episodically.

That is all for the update.

alphadalekben

I have now decided to remove the Shadows case, therefore there is only three cases in the game.

alphadalekben

@faerieevenstar Do you want me to send an extract of the story so that you can start work on the sprite work?

alphadalekben

Quick update - A musician (Juan Dahmen) has hired and so work on the game can recommence again. The style of music will be similar to that of the Resident Evil series with a blues kick.

alphadalekben

Quick update. I've finished writing the first draft of the story line for the first case, so expect new artwork, music and voice clips as soon as possible.

Also, I'm going to split the three case into individual games so that each game is of a higher quality.

alphadalekben

Another quick update.

After having half a mind to cancel the project due to a drought in new material over the last couple of months, I have been re-inspired by listening to VA samples from vertigoaddict, our VA funnily enough. Also, I may tackle the artwork myself to prevent such a drought from reoccurring again.

Cheers,
Ben

alphadalekben

Due to other commitments (A-levels, exams etc), I have decided to put the game on temporary hiatus.

On better news though, I am now one of the programmers for SilverSpook's 'Neofeud' - another reason for the hiatus, as I don't feel I can juggle both projects without a fall in quality. Go check out the GiP thread and show your support. I'm sure it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk