Background Blitz - Unique Fantasy 22/8/2014 (Closed)

Started by Babar, Fri 01/08/2014 21:23:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

*Entries Closed! Voting time!*
I've conferred with my co-winner, and decided to throw this at you this coming fortnight:
Unique Fantasy
So I've been playing Morrowind again, recently, and it struck me how interesting and different its version of a fantasy setting was. And also made it easier to come up with an (I hope) interesting idea for this BG Blitz.

So what I want you to do is draw a background image in some fantasy setting, but I don't want any of the usual boring stuff. No lush green forests with fairy circles and mushrooms on floating islands, no lava-filled, spikey demon-dimensions, no one-note desert/ice/forest planet. Aim for something different! And because so many "unique" fantasy settings are broody or horror-filled, just to make things difficult, try to make it happy (or at least neutral and not broody and horror-filled).

Other than that, the usual rules: Must be usable in AGS. Competition will go on till the end of the 15th, followed by voting.
Have at it!

THE ENTRIES:
Eric:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/tkYz9bc.png[/imgzoom]

TheBitPriest:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/HLKCitW.png[/imgzoom]

Misj':
[imgzoom]http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa412/misj1270/Misj_BB_20140813_skullMountain_withCharacter_zps71b01213.png[/imgzoom]

selmiak:
[imgzoom]http://selmiak.bplaced.net/stuff/desert.png[/imgzoom]

siliconangel:
[imgzoom]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/lauren3011291/Cordys_zpsdc19e2f4.png[/imgzoom]

Time to vote, people!
Voting will go on till the 22nd, hopefully enough time. Please fit your voting to these categories:
Concept: The coolest, most creative idea; the one that offers the best response to the rules and spirit of the Blitz topic.
Artistic Execution: The most technically and artistically accomplished image; the most successful expression of a personal artistic style.
Playability: The screen that would work best as an adventure game background (with possible interactions, walkable areas, exits, etc); a screen that would be fun to play.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Eric

I've been re-reading the Arthurian legends as of late, and I wondered -- what if it weren't the Lady of the Lake, but the Sword in the Ocean?

TheBitPriest

When I think about "unique fantasy," I think about Sam and Max.  So, I thought I'd make a new location for a Sam-and-Max-esque game, or at least a background in the same style.  I like the exercise of trying to make art that fits within an existing look.

The design did not turn out to be as "unique" as I had first imagined.  A souvenir stand near an ancient aliens site?  Eh... 

If I get time, I might go back and add some more "unique" elements.

cat

TheBitPriest, this is amazing! When I saw your background even before reading your text I thought "Sam and Max".

Babar

Two cool entries so far, but time is flying, just 3 days left. C'mon all!

Misj'

Quote from: Babar on Fri 01/08/2014 21:23:29Unique Fantasy
I hear what you're saying, and I'm thinking it too: skull mountain...

QuoteSo what I want you to do is draw a background image in some fantasy setting, but I don't want any of the usual boring stuff.
It's like you read my mind! - skull mountain!

QuoteNo lush green forests with fairy circles and mushrooms on floating islands, no lava-filled, spikey demon-dimensions, no one-note desert/ice/forest planet. Aim for something different!
This is so perfect. It's like I'm seeing my own thoughts materialize before my eyes: Skull Mountain!

QuoteAnd because so many "unique" fantasy settings are broody or horror-filled, just to make things difficult, try to make it happy (or at least neutral and not broody and horror-filled).
Okay, this is getting kinda creepy...it's like our brains are completely in sync: SKULL MOUNTAIN!

I present to you - TataDaDaaaaa - Skull Mountain - The Happiest Place in all the Realm:

variations:
without character sprite
low res version
without outlines
no outlines, low res

I never understood people's fear of clowns in TV shows. Fear of men wearing makeup? - I get that. But clowns? - Why? - So yeah, the first thing I thought was indeed a skull-shaped mountain/cave/thingy, but happy, and with a red nose. Then I needed a 'castle' on the mountains in the distance (because you just got to have a castle in the distance on a mountain right?), and made it as bright and happy as possible. Used a lot of curves and roundish shapes, because round shapes are polite, nice, and inviting.

You are the brave knight Pintoo the Clone (no, that's not a typo...you actually are a clone of the Pinwan the Brave). And you are on an epic quest to find a mythical artifact called the Heart of Happiness. A majestic red ruby the size of a clown's nose that is said to have special powers. Carrying your Spellbook of Laughter and your Sword of Swordiness you cross the lands to save the kingdom and get the girl...for Pinwan, who himself was too chicken to risk is life. I mean, why do you think he made a clone in a first place? - So he doesn't have to get into all these dangerous situations! - Let's face it: if you fail he'll just create Pintree or Pinfor and send them on their merry way. Come to think of it...I'm not sure the Brave is such a valid nickname. Eh...too much thought, and not enough time to think about it. I've got Rubies to find, Princesses to rescue, and Realms to safe. For I am: Pintoo the Clone, at your service mylady.

EDIT: added a character sprite for Pintoo in the scene. Mostly because I miss the Sprite Jams...
Pintoo the Clone: black outlines
Pintoo the Clone: coloured outlines

EDIT2: corrected the colour profiles in some of the images, and changed the file-format in the process.

selmiak

I'm still painting on something and could need an extension, is this possible?

Babar

Sure!
How does up till and including Sunday (thus giving all us anti-social non-partyers time to work on it) sound?
Chance for more people, then!

selmiak

[imgzoom]http://selmiak.bplaced.net/stuff/desert.png[/imgzoom]

It was that time of the year again on planet Fremmen'dor when the comets come crashing down and cause vast destruction everywhere.
All people gathered in the settlements around the huge ancient pyramid structures and prayed in wild extasy to let their spirits light the defenserays.

640 x whatever, it would be animated ingame of course and scroll down to the desert where even more people hike towards the structures and your player character has to pickpocket for a living.

siliconangel

Got done at 11:00 my time.:)
The golden earth and sparse grasses of Cordys lend the environs a deceptively desolate appearance. The truth is that the land itself is actually quite fertile. with a little cultivation.
The rolling hills are home to many a frontiersman looking to stake a claim in the largely uncharted expanses, or to strike it rich proving true the legends of vast, precious deposites of hidden starstone.

Babar

With 5 contenders, the entries are now closed, and it is time to vote! Voting will go on till the 22nd, hopefully enough time. Please cast your votes to fit these categories:

Concept: The coolest, most creative idea; the one that offers the best response to the rules and spirit of the Blitz topic.
Artistic Execution: The most technically and artistically accomplished image; the most successful expression of a personal artistic style.
Playability: The screen that would work best as an adventure game background (with possible interactions, walkable areas, exits, etc); a screen that would be fun to play.

CaptainD

Concept: Selmiak
Artistic Execution: Selmiak
Playability: TheBitPriest / Misj

Some really good entries but Selmiak's just blew me away.  (Might have to somehow include it in Eternal Chrysalis Deluxe!)

selmiak

concept: Misj' (I want to go to skull mountain!)
artistic execution: TheBitPriest (very closely followed by Misj', but it's this samnmax thing!)
Playability: Eric (getting there by boat while making your own paddle before is fun)

@CaptainD: yeah, thanks, if you manage to twist the script even more to fit this in I would love to expand on this and see it in game, but aren't you the one telling me to delay this deluxe version you always talk about? ;)

siliconangel

Concept:selmiak
Artistic execution: Selmiak
Playability:Misj'

Cassiebsg

Concept: Misj' (and now go make that game! There's just so much to explore there!)
Artistic execution: Selmiak (that is just beautiful!)
Playability: Misj'
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Misj'

- With added characters I can see this concept work as a book cover for a science fiction story. It tells me something life-altering is going on. I don't like it as much as a game background, but that might be, because it relies very much on the (fantastic) animated elements such as the comets and the spirit-lights (and the multitude of people hiking; and possibly some crashes or spirit-shield-comet-evaporations). The other entries don't have this reliance (even though there would be animation in all of them).
Artistic execution: TheBitPriest
- I'm not usually a fan of mirroring existing styles. But when it's done this well it just works. I do wish though, that you had found the time to add some more unique elements in there. Runner-up: Selmiak. If it wasn't for the fact that I felt the contrast of the sand was too high especially in the back (causing me to wonder just how high these sand-mountains are) I don't think I would have known whom to give the point to. 
Playability: TheBitPriest
- There are already some nice elements to interact with. And with some added characters it would be it would just get better. It's not hard to imagine puzzles in this scene. Runner-up: siliconangel. While it feels more as a survival game than a classic adventure game (your player-character is so going to die out there without that rifle), I do feel there is a lot to be explored. And I'm certain there's something in those mountains that is going to help me.

AprilSkies

Execution: Misj'

Playability: TheBitPriest

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Babar

VOTING CLOSED
Voting is over, and we have our winner, selmiak, and it certainly is a very alien fantasy land!
Congratulations and thanks to everyone for such interesting and unique ideas!

Take it away, selmiak!

selmiak

cool :)
That was a fun contest, I'll start a new one later tonight.

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk