MAGS September: "Cross-country" (VOTE)

Started by Atelier, Mon 01/09/2014 23:30:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

See this post for voting:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50950.msg636497575#msg636497575

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: 'Cross-country'

This month's guidelines were set by granary:

Is this a sporting event or a road trip? It's not clear. What is clear, though, is that somebody is going somewhere with some sense of urgency.

Basically, create a game focused on a journey and a physical destination. Maybe it's a high-speed race, or maybe just a vacation. Pick a place to be and let your imagination fill in the details. The location could be modest and personal, such as a favorite childhood hangout, or it could be something on a larger scale, like the moon. The character doesn't even have to ultimately arrive at their goal, as long as they try to get there.

Ending 30th September

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Armageddon

Mandle

I am so in on this one...

I'm so lazy to actually get a game out so I'm just going to do it fast and nasty this time (hopefully)...

Please don't expect a lot of animations and polished game-play but I hope the finished product can reflect a bit of what made the original source awesome:

Cassiebsg

I've got an idea, but am not sure if it fits the theme...

Basically, it's about a guy in search for his origins, and since he's rather smart, he builds a time machine to travel back in time and find his origins... however, he's not as smart as he thought and his machine doesn't quite work as planed and he finds him self trapped in the past with a machine that has a mind of it's own. He now has to find a way to return home.
I know, not that original plot, but I already have most plotted in my mind; story, puzzles, scenarios, graphics, resolution, engine... I have no idea though, if I can complete a MAGS in time, but would love to try... :)

Would it be okay to run with this idea for this competition? If not, then I'll probably still try to make it within the same time frame, but won't release it as a MAGS...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Sounds awesome! I think time-travel counts as travel, and I'm sure nobody would mind you entering.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 05/09/2014 12:41:01
he finds him self trapped in the past with a machine that has a mind of it's own. He now has to find a way to return home.

I can just picture it now:

"I'm sorry Marty, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

miguel

I'm in. Already did the first 3 backgrounds and main character animation. It's going to be 320x200, just like it should be, damn!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Ponch

Probably won't finish, but I started on mine. :cool:

Atelier

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 06/09/2014 18:58:25
Probably won't finish, but I started on mine. :cool:

You could just release it half finished, I guarantee nobody will notice any difference.

miguel

A half-game made by Ponch is a master piece anyway.

Atelier

Ponch

Quote from: miguel on Sun 07/09/2014 01:20:08
A half-game made by Ponch is a master piece anyway.
Thanks, Miguel! I'm to make a third of a game and see if I can reach new lows heights! :=

HanaIndiana

Oooh, I like this one. I'm in, if I can think of a plot that interests me enough to keep me working for the rest of the month. And if I haven't stepped away from AGS for too long, that I've forgotten the basics (yuck, I hate when that happens).

Mandle

After a weekend marathon on AGS I have the first three rooms almost finished. I'm telling myself at the moment that some of the crappier looking objects are just "place-holders" but I know in reality that I probably won't get the time to pretty them up before the deadline. I'm just happy for the moment to have a few working puzzles done. I guess my next step is to get to work on clarifying the plot, which is not really understandable yet.

HanaIndiana

I kicked around a few ideas, and I think I'm going the hitchhiking route. A simple plot/game about getting from A to Z. woohoo!

Mandle

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Thu 11/09/2014 00:44:19
the hitchhiking route. A simple plot/game about getting from A to Z. woohoo!

Try telling that to Arthur Dent...;)

All joking aside: Can't wait to see what you come up with. I can't remember ever playing a game where the central theme/mode of getting around, was hitchhiking (well except for HHGTTG, but then again they didn't actually hitchhike that much)

selmiak

Ghost

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 11/09/2014 10:36:06
try http://glitchhikers.com/

Ah. GlitchGliker's Gluide Glue Glee Glalaxgly.

Sounds almost like Clever&Smarkt in full swing- "Glglglglglglgl...." (laugh)

LRH

Ooh. I actually quite liked glitchhikers myself! I'll be interested to see what this MAGS brings around.  I think I might try to get in during October.

Adeel

Quote from: Domithan on Thu 11/09/2014 16:31:22
I'll be interested to see what this MAGS brings around.  I think I might try to get in during October.

Ditto.

miguel

I find Adeel's new avatar quite disturbing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk