The unprintable MAGENTA - updated Nov. 24

Started by Fitz, Mon 08/09/2014 11:09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Fitz

CaptainD: Bingo! That famous catchprase comes a second after the instant captured in this screenshot :)

Andrea: Thanks :) This particular sequence was a ton of fun to make -- from the square-ish graphic style that I adopted to draw the characters, inspired by the amazing Batman cartoon from the nineties, to the bluish hues of the sewers, taken right out of Tim Burton's "Batman Returns", the most climatic Batsy flick of them all. I'm a huge comic nerd :)

Cassiebsg

I'm sooo looking forward to this game! :)
Keep up the good work. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CrashPL

Oh man, this just keeps getting better and better. :D Can't wait to see it in action!

CaptainD

Featured!

Hope the game features some Bat Shark Repellent.  I'll be mightily disappointed if not. :P

Fitz

Ha! I *knew* featuring a well known and loved superhero would get everyone's attention :P But I better keep Bats and the gang low-profile lest DC, Marvel and a couple of others that I borrowed should mind. So their roles will be small, limited to cameos -- but I'll make the best of it :)

CaptainD: It won't be shown, but it's obviously there. That and croc repellent. HATED that guy in Arkham City! Also, a January release? That's wildly optimistic ;) I will try to get as much done as I can over the next two weeks, mostly the animations, because I might not be in shape to do that for some time after the hernia surgery, due Jan 30. Ah, the woes, thrills and dangers of being an indie dev :D But I'll get it done :)

CaptainD

Ah it could be the operation I was remembering for the end of January, not the game release.  Ah well.  Let's see if people start nagging you because they expect the game to come out when I said it might!  (I doubt it... ;-D)  PM me if you want me to remove that particular screenshot, it's not problem.

Oh and it wasn't the well known and loved superhero that got my attention really :P It's just that I've been trying to make a special effort to feature AGS-made games on my blog these days - since I waste spend so much time on these boards I didn't always appreciate just how little known a lot of great AGS games are outside our little community here.

Fitz

Well, if people start nagging, I'll have more motivation to work harder. And if they happen to nag in this thread -- or under your preview -- rather than via pm, more people will hear about it, take to twitter and blogspot to complain, and before you know it, I'll get featured in PC Gamer's "2017's Most Anticipated Games" (laugh) And why in the world would I want you to remove that picture? Other than attracting fellow comic nerds to a possible new comic franchise (fun fact: Magenta was actually intended to have a little comic series long before I decided to feature her in a game), it's just bat-ass, if I may say so myself ;)

Oh and if you're so keen on promoting really obscure AGS games, I'm not sure Monty got any attention other than AdventureGamers' Following Freeware (which keeps an eye on AGS anyway) and that Russian Let's Play that gave up on it four minutes in ;)

And Gray got three noms? Always thought it was one. Now I feel even more robbed than I did before ;)

CaptainD

"Nominated, Best Player Character 2012
Nominated, Best Background Art 2012
Nominated, Best Short Game 2012"

I'm sure I can give Monty a mention.  Strange that it doesn't show you on your profile...!?

EDIT - here it is.

Ben X

Quote from: Fitz on Thu 15/01/2015 17:03:29
"Batman Returns", the most climatic Batsy flick of them all.

Surely "Batman And Robin" had the most climate-based antics, thanks to Mr Freeze?

Fitz

Cap: Ah yes, my bad! I must've confused these with my single nom in the Annual Drunk Duck Awards of 2007. I'd link you to it, but I think I'll let you forever wonder what the hell those are, instead ;) Alternately, you might simply google it.
And thanks for mentioning Monty!

Ben X: True. But Penguin did have air-conditioning in his lair and liked to keep his water ice-cold! I'm actually re-watching all the Bat flicks right now. Saw both Burton movies yesterday and today and those are still my favorites, despite the cheesiness -- which you only notice when you're no longer 12 :) The 1989 Batman was such an 80's movie, with the crazy colors and cheesy Prince tunes! Batman Returns was far more self-aware, and more Burton-ish, if still very goofy in places. And Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman was and remains THE best comic book movie character, second to none.

Also, this page contains a lot of text and no pictures. Let's change that.

Here's another brief cameo:

Not a superhero -- but she's one deadly lady!

Fitz

Presenting...

As I've mentioned above, I have a little surgery on Jan 30 -- nothing overly serious, just a hernia, but it'll take a while to heal and might not be able/allowed to spend much time on the puter for a while. That means the game will have to be put on hold. Sooo I thought I'd give you a little something to keep those salivary glands working ;) Here's a fully playable ALPHA DEMO -- featuring the game's first location, including a little superhero training/tutorial! :-D Warm up and face your first opponent!
- left-click for action
- right-click to change between modes (walk, look, interact, talk; you'll have to unlock them in the tutorial)
- Esc to skip cutscenes
- left-click to skip dialogues one line at a time, Esc to skip the whole conversation
- X or F10 to quit with a prompt, Ctrl+Q to exit without a prompt
- there is not save option, the game autosaves after completing certain tasks/getting to a certain point
- if you get knocked out -- or worse! -- the game will rewind to the last autosave. If you want to skip dialogue you've already heard, just press Esc.

Cassiebsg

Thanks, that was a short cute little demo, looking forward to the full game. :)

Good luck with the surgery!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

NickyNyce

Hope you feel better Fitz. May you have a super speedy recovery!

CaptainD

Nice one Fitz!

Hope the surgery and post-op goes well mate.

Ibispi

I will definitely play the demo of the unprintable M. after I get finished with my exam tomorrow that is. Stupid life, both stopping developers from working on their games and stopping players from playing games. Why does everything have to be so cruel?

Fitz

Thanks, everyone :) How would you say was it? Easy to get everything right the first time around? Or did you get a royal ass-kicking? I had a lot of fun coming up with and putting together these "Fatalities" (laugh)

BSP: Yeah! If I didn't have to work, sleep, eat and poop, I'd be so much more productive. Not to mention blinking! When they start digitizing people -- a thing they've long been theorizing about, to rid us of the burdens of physicality -- I'll be second in line. You know, just in case something goes terribly wrong with Ray Kurzweil (who's first in line), so I could back out :P

AprilSkies

Wait WUT? a Deno? 8-0

Edit: Already played

\o/  It's wonderful!!!! I love the concept! And lovely gfx!
Really well done Fitz!
I can't wait to play more!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

CaptainD

Quote from: Fitz on Mon 19/01/2015 07:20:20
Thanks, everyone :) How would you say was it? Easy to get everything right the first time around? Or did you get a royal ass-kicking?

Weeeeeell... I got through the first bit okay, but once the verbal jousting was over, I couldn't find anything that saved me from being punched skywards.  (I thought the player character was the superhero here?!?! 8-0)

Fitz

Andrea:
Thanks! :) I'm quite happy with the anims, myself, simple as they are. That particular background could use a little make-over, though. It's the first one I did for the game and it's not quite on par with the others. But I'm having fun with these 16 colors, that's for sure :)

Cap:
But were you trying to get away -- or tackle the enemy? Listen to what Magenta says when you do and that should give you an idea. There's these tricky mechanics that I came up with for the game -- and I knew it's not very intuitive, but once you get it, you'll know what to do in other situations further on in the game.

If it's still not clear, here's a couple of hints (uncover them one by one):

Spoiler
Where would you punch the hooker to shut her up for good? That spot has a hotspot of its own.
[close]

Spoiler
Not THERE, you pervert!
[close]

Spoiler
The mouth. You're supposed to hit her right in the mouth.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk