The unprintable MAGENTA - updated Nov. 24

Started by Fitz, Mon 08/09/2014 11:09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

I got dead right at the first line... (laugh)
But after that, I got the mechanics and got easier. Loved the "MI" joust style. (nod)
I did however:
Spoiler

Thought that it was odd, that once you backed up and the hooker said a bunch of stuff, that you then had the same exact lines to reply with. Of course that makes it easier to code and move forward, I just didn't felt that replying that line with what the hooker had now said made much sense... (roll)

PS. Even though I found the right spot at third try, I did more or less followed the same order your hints are in... (laugh)(laugh)(roll)
Though I was more thinking of the likes "where would it be more embarrassing for the hooker to get all pink..." so I started with the hair... Hadn't expected a punch though, just a soft gentle touch... (laugh)
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ibispi

Quote from: Fitz on Mon 19/01/2015 07:20:20
Thanks, everyone :) How would you say was it? Easy to get everything right the first time around? Or did you get a royal ass-kicking? I had a lot of fun coming up with and putting together these "Fatalities" (laugh)

BSP: Yeah! If I didn't have to work, sleep, eat and poop, I'd be so much more productive. Not to mention blinking! When they start digitizing people -- a thing they've long been theorizing about, to rid us of the burdens of physicality -- I'll be second in line. You know, just in case something goes terribly wrong with Ray Kurzweil (who's first in line), so I could back out :P

I've searched it on internet recently, and I had no idea that such thing as digital immortality existed as an idea. Thanks for the insight Fitz, now I only have to hope that this atheist heaven would be invented during my lifetime and also be somehow accessible to me.  :grin:

On topic: I've played the demo today and my comment would be that you did a great work, at least in this demo, with making losing the game event not be so much punishing, as it can be in some games.

Fitz

Cassie: I guess the easiest thing to do here would've been for the hooker to knock Magenta out in response to every wrong choice -- but I thought it'd be too easy. So instead, I *tried* to make Magenta's responses work both ways. It'd perhaps be best to have a whole bunch of responses randomly chosen by the program -- but I made this part still hoping to make it before the MAGS deadline, so I was pressed for time. Then I just left it and moved on, figuring it's not perfect, but not shamefully bad, either ;) I *might* try something more complex, similar to the famed MI insult sword fighting, in the final boss battle.

BSP: I have my doubts about how "human" such a digitized version would be. Memories and intelligence themselves are pretty elusive, but it gets nearly impossible once you factor in hormones, senses, genetics... You could simulate them with a set of mathematic variables, but that'd still be an artificial approximation, not the real you.
As for the game, I think the "fatalities" are just plain fun. I certainly had fun making them. Should've made the game more difficult, so that each player would have to see them all before they reach the end ;) Alternately, I might add an achievement for anyone who finds all of the "fatalities" (and there will be some neatly hidden ones, too).

Michael2968

I enjoyed the demo of your game. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was kind of short. I am looking forward to the full game. It looks like it will be fun.

Fitz

Thanks :) Yeah, it is kinda short. The whole thing was prepared for MAGS, so it was my intention to keep it short and sweet. When I dropped out of the contest, I decided to give it some more polish, but it didn't change all that much gameplay-wise. Plus, I had to make the first one relatively easy not to discourage the players, hopefully the later levels will take you some more time -- and that you'll get to see the incredibly funnoying cutscenes :D

Speaking of which, I scraped the character animations for one of them, feeling it was not on par with the Batman sequence and some others. It looked too static, empty and was, admittedly, poorly drawn. I re-drew the scene from scratch -- and it looks much more dynamic and fun. I won't show it to you just yet -- but here's one of the dropouts:

Any guesses who this is?

selmiak

Fitz

Geexactly! I think the turtleneck gave it away ;) He's even nerdier in his new version.

AnasAbdin

Why can't I come up with such great characters like those! I love everything about this game. Specially that no one can predict where and how this is going to end up (laugh)

Fitz

Anas, it's all about what you'll allow yourself to do in a given story :) Sometimes it's fun to just let it go and draw whatever the heck you want -- something I often forget. I tend to stick to a formula -- and soon enough I find myself stuck in a rut. I dug up some of my teenage doodles the other day and it struck me what crazy stuff I drew. Drawing this new version of the turtles -- and other childhood's favorite superheroes -- was so refreshing in so many ways. I can break away from my usual set of themes AND try my own twisted take on the classics, with no shame or prejudice :D

Speaking of which -- here's the new version of Donnie:

With that cutscene pretty much done, I can now enjoy my well-deserved vacation/sick leave :) The game goes on hold for a few weeks -- but my brain will be hard at work :)

ManicMatt

Those sprites are huge! Definetely has it's own identity going on! :)

Get back to work soldier! Don't leave it for 3 years like I did!

Fitz

Oh, I scale them down for the sake of the game -- but yeah, the originals are usually huge compared to ingame sprites.

Meanwhile, I got back to work! Took me a while, too. After I got better, I was SWAMPED with work. Buck I'm back, baby! The break I took actually helped me get a fresh look at certain aspects of the game and flesh out some ideas. Still a lot of work -- but I'm genuinely excited about where this is going!

Here's a new in-game location:

Gurok

I'm really loving the progress on this. You've used the 16 colour restriction so cleverly. Also, the more are I see, the more it just clicks because the style is just so consistent. I've got to say, the screenshots and characters in this thread now look very neat collected together. Still pumped about this game! :P
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Fitz

Thanks :) This new one was probably the most fun to draw, with just three colors -- and with the Sin City movies at the back of my mind. I might/should probably draw the first location (the toy store) from scratch, though -- it was the first one I did for the game, and it just feels very simplistic and all around clumsy. Right now, I feel more confident and comfortable with the chosen style.

AprilSkies

I like the punx not dead graffiti  : D
I wish there was a song by Exploited in that room :cheesy:

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Fitz

Me, I'd put a few Prodigy songs here and there -- if we're sticking to punk, I'd say "Fuel My Fire". But I don't suppose they'd let me use it for an amount of money available to a mere mortal ;)

UPDATE: Over this past week I was hard at work, writing dialogue, scripting and animating for the location above -- and oh boy was it a lot of work. And there's still a lot of work ahead of me! But it's insanely fun, too.

Speaking of insane, here's a little sneak peak of what I've been working on.

Magenta impersonating a beloved comic character :D

Fitz

Big news, everyone! I've decided to ditch the retro style, scrape all game art and go in a completely new direction. It's a game about superheroes, so it needs to be BIG and SERIOUS -- and up to date with game technology. So it's no longer an AGS production -- or an adventure game, for that matter. It's going to be a sandbox action game.

So, without further ado -- here are some new character designs:

MAGENTA:

YOLLOW:

selmiak

StillInThe90s

Oh, me too :grin:

Love your gradient technique btw. Reminds me a bit of Bik:
http://bikgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Bik_Ammut_SET_Bar.png

Good luck with it! (including the action bit) :)

Image removed by Darth - If you post another off-topic image I will permanently ban you.  You have been warned.

AprilSkies

mmh Well I loved the old characters design tho. Very.
Those new ones are of course very well done, but old ones were so good.
prolly I only have to familiarize with them (laugh) (laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Fitz

Glad you guys like it :)

StillInThe90s : Oh, that one's new to me. I like it! My inspiration comes from indie comics -- another thing that I dabble in, myself. I like this style more than the regular gradients that most games use, it's more gritty -- which is exactly what I was going for in "Magenta".

Andrea: I'm still not quite sure this is the final look (I'm hesitating between more bewbs and less bewbs), but I'm seeing this new style as my gateway to mainstream fame. Would love to work on Saints Row V *wink wink nudge nudge*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk