Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Thanks Neon!

You even kept the bit with me muttering away to myself at the beginning... :-D

cat

*bump*

Will there be an AdventureX 2015?

Dave Gilbert

Was just about to post here to ask this myself! Would like to book tickets and things, so do let us know.

m0ds

As there hasn't been any particularly positive news so far, I've held back posting anything. LSBU have not given a greenlight, they seem to not want to host events there anymore (of any kind). This is the higher ups, not Siobhan, of course, she wants AdvX to happen there and all the other events she runs. So she's in negotiation with them, as you might expect dollar signs probably get them motivated. Just depends how many... I'll nudge them again and express that international attendees really need an answer now.

Of course I am very interested in making it happen, it's like family now ;) But whilst I'm not opposed to a new venue, the workload of moving to a new one is, to put it politely, annoying. And year on year new venues is becoming slightly tedious!! I'm not entirely sure I have the time/mental strength to deal with that this year. But we will still give it a try if it's necessary, and Becky or someone else may be able to head up the venue part of the organization, which would allow me to concentrate on the event itself.

cat

Thanks for the info, Mark!

Too bad this not as easy as I hoped it would be.
I hope things get sorted out soon, since I have to book a flight and also there might be a different event I'd attend if AdventureX does not happen. Do you maybe know the weekend AdvX will take place? Is it going to be 5/6th of December?

m0ds

That's the aim, although Germans are telling me that weekend is a particular Xmas national event, so maybe the one after, depending on how it might affect numbers.

Azure

I will add if anyone knows of any venues in London ( especially if you have contacts there ) let us know as a back up. I don't live in London anymore so it's hard to scout places but I can certainly look into it.
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

cat

m0ds

Sadly not Cat. News is still stalled cos of LSBU's indecision. And whilst we are looking into alternative venues, finding a balance between space and cost, taking some time. We have had a few suggestions (thanks folks!). If anyone is particularly connected to a Uni in London definitely get in touch with me!

Admitedely, LSBU seemed like such a sure thing at the end of last year's event that I didn't plan a contingency. So a smaller scale event or even a break this year, are other possible outcomes. That said, we are trying to make something happen... I just don't see the point posting updates about things that haven't happened yet. There's also the physical burden of running an event when you're supposed to be releasing 3-5 games before Christmas and your business is dealing with a bunch of new EU VAT regulations.

If more people want to join the AdventureX team, help ensure gaurantees over it and what not, you're more than welcome. You can help us with venues by emailing details of our event to potential places, negotiating prices and stuff. AdvX needs a stronger PR team like that anyway, if it's to survive. Find us more sponsors and we could have any venue in London! If you want to help out on the day, or take some other role, anything that you think can benefit it then there's room to get involved. Becky no longer lives in London and I am still not earning enough to live anywhere near it myself, so it suffers a bit from not having a "ground team" (who is mostly Tom now!) so even if you just live in London you could be useful to us for checking out a couple of places/things etc. We have a subforum here so you can get access and join in the organization. PM Azure or me. The rewards, are mostly that you are helping a physical part of the adventure gaming machine, I guess? (laugh) and get to see an event to fruition and see people enjoy it.

As soon as there is better news relating to our efforts for 2015, it will certainly be posted :)

Dave Gilbert

Does it have to be a university? Would an auditorium and one track of events work just as well? I know a few theatre directors in London who might know of a few places we could use.

Dave Gilbert

Check your facebook PMs, Mark and Rebecca. I got in touch with someone who might be able to help.

m0ds

It doesn't have to be a uni, but we tend to need rooms with digital projectors. That's really our #1 necessity, doesn't matter if there aren't computers etc but projectors so people can present, demonstrate, talk etc... Built in facilities like that are a better option than us having to rent projectors and screens. Anyway thanks for emailing (and Broomie), I will try and follow these suggestions up tonight or tomorrow by sending some info of what we typically require.

Andail

Mods, maybe you should edit the first post so that it reflects the current (uncertain) state of things. For a second I looked at the thread and thought it was all sorted out, until I saw the date of the thread.

I'd love for a AdvX to happen this year, but unless it's the first weekend of December or earlier I probably won't make it, as I'm away mid December...

m0ds

True. It looks like we'll need to go from the ground up on this, and you're right the best way to see that through is probably an up to date thread. So, I'll lock this one now and start a 2015 one shortly, and we can hopefully make something happen from there.

I've had venue suggestions, thanks! So far what's clear about each is that to make any of them happen in similar capacity to the last 3 yaers is a bit more expensive than usual. By "a bit" I mean a lot. Like, the last 4 events costs' put together. We do not seem to have a direct, clear (and let's also add "lucky") route into any venue this year as we have the last 4. AdventureX doesn't have quite the structure to just say "we have £4k, let's go!"... And when you need to raise more money you typically need to offer more incentives which I don't think I can personally handle this year. But hopefully with the new thread we can see about raising enough to make it happen, or alternatives to ensure there can be an event of some similar nature if we need to do something drastically different (smaller location etc) cos of costs etc.

I will post a call to arms thread tonight or tomorrow and sort out the website once that has some traction :)

m0ds

Looks like we'll be at Goldsmiths University (big square "NAB" building near bottom of site) this year... Thanks to Tom for making that happen and Goldsmiths for willing to accommodate. Proper thread and website update early in the week, just wanted to put a heads up here for those wondering :)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Goldsmiths+University+of+London/@51.4736202,-0.0373487,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xeb2cff5d2300d7f8

What do we know about this place/stuff?

> New Cross is well connected via London overground, stations about 5-10 min walk from venue
> Lots of shops around New Cross, restaurants 5 mins from the venue, and some local hotels/hostels
> Exhibitor space, large & small lecture halls planned to be in use this year
> On-site cafe selling tea, coffee, snacks - hired & open especially for us
> Disabled access (via lifts), toilets and (hopefully) secure storage

What are we still unsure about?
> The 5+6 Dec date is not fully confirmed yet, but is likely to be by the time of website update & new thread
> We have not covered ALL costs for the rental yet, so get in touch if you're willing to donate/sponsor etc
> Nothing known about Wifi & live streaming yet, only that we may have a Computer dept. behind us so these should hopefully work this year...that said, you never know what issues the layout of the venue may present. It was impossible last year to get the speaker and the screen all in one shot (not that live stream worked anyway)...
> We are looking into local pubs for evening function room hire over the weekend

More info and confirmation asap, in a new thread 8-) I will answer any Q's when I fire that up :=

m0ds

Right so it's 12 + 13 December 10-6pm each day at Goldsmiths uni, New Cross. A new thread will be up in a day or two for questions, discussion & signing up!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk