Leisure Suit Larry 1 (AGI) Remake

Started by arj0n, Tue 16/09/2014 21:25:21

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

In the making:
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (AGI) Point & Click edition.

screenshots:

Overall Progress: 85%

Cassiebsg

Looks great! :)
Uhm... can't remember that last screen...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

sthomannch

Tabata

Quote from: Arj0n on Tue 16/09/2014 21:25:21
In the making:
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (AGI) Point & Click edition.
"Bravo!" 

Adeel

Quote from: Tabata on Tue 16/09/2014 23:25:58
Quote from: Arj0n on Tue 16/09/2014 21:25:21
In the making:
"Bravo!" 

Fuck yeah! :cheesy: ;-D :cheesy: ;-D I'm a huge fan of Larry Games! Let me know if you need any kind of help. I'll happily help you out!

AnasAbdin

Gilbert

Neat! I wonder how the password puzzle is handled (ignoring AnasAbdin's comment). IMO the way it's handled in the VGA SCI remake is one of the worst change done to the game, not to mention that every other thing in that remake is also horrible though, especially the music(right; the next-to-none music in the original version is much better than the boring jazz tunes in the remake) and graphics (I want to puke... At least keeping the AGI graphics in this project should make it a much better world....).

AnasAbdin

I agree with Iceboty V7000a about the VGA version.
Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Wed 17/09/2014 06:33:12
Neat! I wonder how the password puzzle is handled

An event adding a dialog topic?

abstauber

Awesome, Arj0n!
The inventory already looks pretty spot on - how have you managed the verbs btw?
As for the music, I would prefer the Tandy/Atari version as it has more channels, but keeps the beepy style. (not to mention that I grew up with the Atari version :) )

@Cassiebg: You really never died in the game??

Sslaxx

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 17/09/2014 09:26:57
Awesome, Arj0n!
The inventory already looks pretty spot on - how have you managed the verbs btw?
As for the music, I would prefer the Tandy/Atari version as it has more channels, but keeps the beepy style. (not to mention that I grew up with the Atari version :) )

@Cassiebg: You really never died in the game??
Didn't it also depend on where you died in the game?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

abstauber

Well, they couldn't fix you after you've "met" the taxi.

arj0n

@All: Thanx!!

@AnasAbdin: there's also a shorter password that works ;)

@Iceboty: I implemented the password puzzle close to the original using a gui with an input box.
Another solution was a dialog with option where the correct one is shown after finding the password (As AnasAbdin said: An event adding a dialog topic)... But I think the gui with inputbox is a better solution.
What do you guys think?

As for the VGA Remake: agreed with everything what you wrote about it! Never liked that version.

@Dirk: These extra fun-verbs are now most of the time added as interaction comment, giving randomly a silly/funny line.
In some cases they are implemented as dialog options, like with the hooker for example.

As for the music: I try to implement both PC-Speaker and Tandy and give the player the choice to choose between them in the settings screen.

---

There are quite some small differences in this version compared to the original AGI version. Two examples:

* In the original version you can simply type 'call taxi' to get the taxi on screen.
In this version you have to look at the taxi sign which make Larry give a comment about the sign, followed by a dialog with two options: 'call taxi' & 'never mind'.

* In the original version you can simply type 'stand' to get of his stool in Lefty's bar.
To get of your stool now, you now have to talk to Lefty (the waiter).
Then a dialog is shown with the several 'order <type of drink>' options plus a 'I gotta go' option to make Larry get of his stool.

AprilSkies

Oh!
How could I miss this?????!!!!!!!

Well probably it's due to the the fact that I'm trying to enter this month mags... and I'm spending all the time in this...

btw
IT'S AWESOME that you're doing this!
I'm also a huge fan of Larry!
Bravo, Arj0n!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Arj0n on Thu 18/09/2014 08:36:04To get of your stool now, you now have to talk to Lefty (the waiter).

Any reason why not click interact with the stool itself?

I'm not a big fan of full keyboard GUIs if that's what you were referring to for the password puzzle (it won't stop me from playing though!) IMHO I think a new dialog option is more fun. Unless you want to grant access even if Larry didn't learn the password from the 'game' itself then yeah the dialog would be a little tricky.

arj0n

@AprilSkies: Thanx April! So you're working on both your game and a mags game, wow, you have too much free time ;)

@Anas:

Yes, I'm not a big fan of keyboard gui's too but this way the player is allowed to skip the fact that he/she is forced to find the pw first (especially when replaying the game).

So I'd love to know what you guys would prefer for this situation (giving the password in the Lefty's bar to enter the door with the peephole):
> a gui with inputbox (which gives the player the ability to enter the password without being forced to find it first)
or
> a dialog with a hidden line that is shown after finding the password (which might be a 'cleaner' and more consistant solution)

Let me know!!

abstauber

my first impulse was to say: the second one, because it fits the interface. But as this is an AGI remake, I'd prefer solution number 1, it sticks more to the classic version. And we all know the password anyway :D
I also think a text box would put this even more aside from the vga remakes (which is a good thing :) )

miguel

I have great memories from playing this back in the day, Arj0n. The screenshots look really good.
As for your question I prefer the second option although "finding" things by chance never stopped me from loving Larry games.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Leisure Suit Harry

Yes, Arj0n!
I love LSL - obviously.
Now I know where that AGI border question comes from :smiley:
And I also know who to contact when it comes to creating "LSL 4 - Don't blame it to Al's dog".

Good luck!
Yours Boston McShew (aka Leisure Suit Harry)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk