Red Hot Overdrive (MAGS SEPTEMBER 2014)

Started by AprilSkies, Fri 26/09/2014 13:54:47

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

Incredible that you (+team) managed to pull off such a polished game in just one month.
Sure, the physics aren't as accurate as Lotus Challenge, but I bet they had more than a year - unthinkable what might happen if you continue working on this 8-0

It looks amazing, has a considerable AI, it's fun to play and the music is great too.
The only thing I'm missing is shifting gears between high and low - but that's nitpicky as hell considering that you guys even hit the deadline for MAGS.

Now excuse me, I need continue the race :D

AnasAbdin

Really amazing work! I love it when AGS is used to develop non adventure games 8-) and the tracks are awesome (laugh)
Now next step please: Space Harrier :-D :-D :-D

CaptainD

Hehe, my 3 year-old daughter now calls this "The Driving Game Where We Find Bugs" after she helped me with testing once and found a bug that I hadn't! :grin:

Gurok

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

AprilSkies

Oh guys, thank you all for nice words.
@abstauber: thanx so much! For sure we planned to go on working on it! A lot of ìmprovements have to be done. But after mags voting, of course. :)
@anas abdin: space harrier? LOL! Jim Reed! You see?? :D

Note, Dave's little one found a bug impossible to spot! One of the best testers!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Ali

Thanks for a lovely reminder of Wec Le Mans on the ZX Spectrum!

A tiny issue: when disabling sound and music using winsetup.exe, the game crashes at startup:

Spoiler

An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.21.1115)

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 78

Error: Error running function 'game_start':
Error: Null pointer referenced

[close]

Stupot

Great fun. Well done April and co.
I'm pretty rubbish though. My highest score so far is 882 on Chuck Norris Mode.

AprilSkies

Since the game has a stunning sundtrack, I updated the first post, with the soundtrack download link!
The Soundtrack that can be downloaded also includes a Bonus Track: Yarcanox Dubstep Remix of Peder's chiptune! It's brilliant! (laugh)

selmiak

m0ds

Good bit of fun! Those lorry drivers are utter w******s! grr road rage! Where is the fire missile key!

shaun9991

this is amazing and actually really fun to play. i cant even begin to understand how it was programmed! great work :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

CaptainD

Quote from: Mods on Mon 29/09/2014 17:43:59
Good bit of fun! Those lorry drivers are utter w******s! grr road rage! Where is the fire missile key!

Unfortunately that was rejected at the testing stage.  I did suggest it... several times.  Really hate those lorry drivers!!

selmiak

My vote went to turtle shells but all we got is a car horn. And it is as effective as IRL.

AprilSkies

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 30/09/2014 12:11:21
My vote went to turtle shells but all we got is a car horn. And it is as effective as IRL.

LOL! CaptainD and selmiak indeed suggested rockets and Turtle-shell (laugh) But all they get was the spacebar to honk...
and as IRL.... horn don't affect anyway the traffic (laugh)

btw.. after MAGS I'd like to improve physics and also add a shop in the gas station (Gurok's brilliant suggestion) where you can purchase some weird stuff.... Nitro of course, but also (maybe) something to use against other cars (laugh)

Mandle

Geez, I suck at this game even worse than during testing!!! AND...totally agree: Those damn lorry drivers should all go suck my tail-pipe, swallow my exhaust, and DIE!!!

Spoiler
I almost made the tunnel on the last try and a damn lorry kept blocking me and time ran out. That was YOU driving it Andrea...WASN'T IT?!
[close]

sergiocornaga

This is an impressive effort! I liked the graphics (and associated coding) a lot. I think difficulty needs to scale as time goes on, though, as I quickly reached a point where I can play endlessly and it isn't much fun. Early on I kept expecting the race to end, but eventually realised that would never happen. I wound up driving over 100km with a score of 3626 on Chuck Norris mode, and boredom was probably the main reason it didn't reach even higher (though I did also get stuck behind two lorries on that last fateful lap).

AprilSkies

Thanks a lot sergiocornaga.

I also think that I should probably give more challange to the player and also make more scenarios while the game goes on.. or even give more that one game mode, but... it was made within a month for the MAGS competion and time ran fast out for the development :D

I'd like to improve it after the comp the is complete (it will not be fair to upgrade it while the voting time is still active).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk