Red Hot Overdrive (MAGS SEPTEMBER 2014)

Started by AprilSkies, Fri 26/09/2014 13:54:47

Previous topic - Next topic

AprilSkies

Rally on public roads like it was 1990!

Run your shiny Ferrari 430 "Scuderia" through ever-changing tracks and through 5 different scenarios.
Beware though, the roads are full of other cars, turns and hazard;  you got to be an Ace at the Wheel to complete them on time!

Note: This game was made for MAGS (September 2014, theme "Cross-country").

FEATURES:

5 Different scenarios
3 Difficulty levels
AMIGA vibes
Ever-changing random tracks
Gas station before each checkpoint
Car Stereo with 4 different tracks to play
(Stunning tracks by Jonas Thiem, Dualnames, FSi and Peder)
Spacebar to honk at other cars
Totally NOT playable with mouse
Customizable controls
Cows (please don't crash on them)
Snowmen (please crash on them)
Green German Cars (Courtesy of selmiak)

COMING SOON:
Abducted Cows from A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. (Courtesy of Ghost)

DOWNLOAD LINK:
Click here

SOUNDTRACK:
The amazing soundtrack of the game, by Jonas Thiem (www.homeofjones.de), Dualnames, FSi ad Peder, can be downloaded here
It also includes a Bonus Track: Jonas Thiem Dubstep Remix of Peder's chiptute!

Screenies:

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/xFdu4PzwCLs[/embed]

This game would not have been realized without the cooperation of Jim Reed that made stunning GFX and helped me in designing it.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Adeel

Reminds me of those old racing games which I used to emulate on my Pentium II. Going to give it a try!

CaptainD

Really enjoyed testing this.  Took me back to my childhood days, playing Outrun in the arcades... 8-)

shaun9991

wow!!! getting huge amiga vibes from this. going to play tonight. amazing use of AGS!!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Mandle

This game was amazing fun to playtest in my break-times while making my own MAGs game this month...

Like I already said in another thread: It was a great feeling to know who I would already be losing to and why...A feeling I know AprilSkies can appreciate:

Spoiler
ahem...Donald Dowell VS. Heroine Quest...ahem...
[close]

That being said: AprilSkies selflessly devoted a LOT of time while developing this marvel of a game to help me out with the amazing GUIs you will see in my undeserving-of-such-pure-beauty project...

Now I must get back to work and resist downloading the finished product right now...

DAMN YOU APRILSKIES!!! COWS??? I NEVER SAW ANY COWS!!!

Stupot

Damn! Looks great. Hope to play it soon. Well done :-)

Hobo

Good work, this is a great MAGS release. The graphics and music are lovely and the car controls and feels just like in an old dos game (in a good way). Reminds me a bit of Lamborghini American Challenge. Also, I would have gotten a totally awesome high score, if there weren't for those meddling roadcows and pesky snowmen.

Gurok

What a game! I got 820 (on baby mode)

My thoughts: Even on baby mode, the bonus time should scale down to 0:45 after 20 or so laps. It just gets tedious racing for that long, grinding out 1-2 sec advantages here and there.

All in all, an excellent game though. Serious nostalgia over the graphics. Well done!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

AprilSkies

Thanks Guys!!!

@Hobo! YEAH loved Lamborghini A C! Also inspired by Lotus, out Run and Jaguar XJ220 :D

@Gurok.. it's time to try at higher difficulties levels.....

Just added in the first post a video of me getting 10 checkpoints in Chuck Norris Mode!

Gurok

Oh yeah, I see the scoring scales too. Nice! I just got 2438 in Chuck Norris mode! :D
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

CaptainD

Quote from: Gurok on Fri 26/09/2014 16:26:48
My thoughts: Even on baby mode, the bonus time should scale down to 0:45 after 20 or so laps. It just gets tedious racing for that long, grinding out 1-2 sec advantages here and there.

Sorry, he had to make it easy enough for me to keep playing for... um... play-testing purposes.  Yeah, that was it.  Not because I found the game too difficult to begin with.  Not that at all.

Edit - scored 1010 on Chuck Norris mode, despite my little girl deciding to take over for a short while (NO, she was NOT better at it than me!  Give that a couple of years, until she's 5...).  Who's laughing now, AprilSkies?  WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!?!

Er... sorry.

I can also honestly say, I never hit a cow during testing.  The fact that I never had a test build with cows in it is irrelevant.

Still can't believe this was made inside a month... 8-0

arj0n

WOW, congrats AprilSkies & Jim!! Awesome job!!

AprilSkies

Thanks Arj0n :D Glad to see retro-gamers comments :P

Btw... After MAGS, should come out with a deluxe edition with a "GUROK" difficulty level! :=

selmiak

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release!
Looking forward to try it once I return home. :grin:

Gurok, lets face it... been a long time since you were a baby...   (laugh)

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Billbis

Amazing!
Congratz AprilSkies and Jim Reed !
I'm really bad at it. :grin:

Retro Wolf

Reminds me of an old Amiga game I played as a kid!
Great job AprilSkies and team! I'm bloody jealous! :)

Ubel

Well done! I am thoroughly impressed! It looks great, has an amazing retro vibe, the music is sweet, there's a lot of variety so it doesn't feel repetitive for a good while. Those other drivers are assholes though.

miguel

Really impressive game considering it's running on AGS. It truly emulates the classic arcade racing games!
It's also really well polished and runs smoothly through menus and options. During races the controls run really well and things like acceleration, braking  and drifting are all part of the experience making it exciting to play. Well done.

Working on a RON game!!!!!

formica

This is amazing, what a good feel. I love that everyone else in this world is a giant asshole, up to and including building snowmen in the center of the highway. I love the music and the weather too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk