AGS 3.4.0.6 (Alpha) - Builder Patch

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sat 27/09/2014 17:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

amateurhour

First off, just a thanks to everyone that worked on this version. I've been mostly playing with Unity and GameMaker for the last year or so and I came back to find that there's a multi-platform build in the works, which is awesome!

Two quick questions - 1) Does this new build support OSX or just Win/Linux? And are there still Allegro issues with OSX builds or are they pretty stable?

2) Does this build have a "no .mp3 licensing" version or is it strictly not for retail game use?

Thanks!     
Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: amateurhour on Wed 19/11/2014 19:46:18
1) Does this new build support OSX or just Win/Linux? And are there still Allegro issues with OSX builds or are they pretty stable?
No, this version does not support OSX.
There's a version of the engine made by HumbleBundle for Wadjet Eye that works on OSX, but it was made in a questionable way (code-wise), by substituting parts of Allegro with SDL (so doubling libraries), so we could not accept it as it is. However, I belive it is possible to merge our latest code with that build and get a combined version working on OSX.

Quote from: amateurhour on Wed 19/11/2014 19:46:18
2) Does this build have a "no .mp3 licensing" version or is it strictly not for retail game use?
No-mp3 version is not in the 3.4.0 package, but it is a 5-minutes task to build one.
Thing is that this is alpha, and may be unstable anyway, so I don't bother to include No-MP3.

amateurhour

Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

Matti

I'm using this build for a few days now, primarily because of the unlimited GUI controls, and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the work you guys put into this, all the improvements are great!

Blackthorne

In trying to build the .exe of my game, I keep getting this error.

Unexpected error: Cannot create hard link! Source file does not exist.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Meekah

Hey guys! I just added this to my pc and am VERY excited to use it. However every time I try to compile I keep getting this error message:

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00473FB5 ; program pointer is -3, ACI version 3.4.0.1, gtags (2039,36)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

Crimson Wizard

Meekah, I apologize for delayed answer.
Unfortunately I did not keep required files to help me read crash dumps from 3.4.0.1.
Have you just started to make a game, or imported from older AGS?
If you just started, which template do you use? Is it possible for you to send me your game project for inspection?

Gurok

I was playing around with the head last night and I think I found an oversight with the new compiler (linker?). Translation files (*.tra) weren't copied to the Windows platform directory inside Compiled. The resulting .exe couldn't find any translations. :/
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Gurok on Fri 28/11/2014 18:57:24
I was playing around with the head last night and I think I found an oversight with the new compiler (linker?). Translation files (*.tra) weren't copied to the Windows platform directory inside Compiled. The resulting .exe couldn't find any translations. :/
Please post this here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51289.0
I made a separate thread to gather all problems with the new compiler.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 12/11/2014 18:51:29
* In 32-bit games DrawingSurface.DrawImage() now properly applies overall transparency when drawing opaque sprites over surfaces with alpha channel.
Could someone explain to me what that means exactly, with an example of what it did before and what it does now?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sat 29/11/2014 01:48:02
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 12/11/2014 18:51:29
* In 32-bit games DrawingSurface.DrawImage() now properly applies overall transparency when drawing opaque sprites over surfaces with alpha channel.
Could someone explain to me what that means exactly, with an example of what it did before and what it does now?

In prior versions if you'd draw a sprite w/o alpha channel over destination with alpha using DrawingSurface.DrawImage, the "transparency" parameter would not be applied.
Now it should be.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 29/11/2014 01:49:35
In prior versions if you'd draw a sprite w/o alpha channel over destination with alpha using DrawingSurface.DrawImage, the "transparency" parameter would not be applied. Now it should be.

Ok, thanks a lot.

OneDollar

I was playing around with this and noticed that the minimum resolution for the height is capped at 128 pixels. Is there a technical reason for this? I was thinking of doing something at 160x100 (half of 320x200). Otherwise I'm really excited about the resolution changes!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: OneDollar on Fri 05/12/2014 15:27:33
I was playing around with this and noticed that the minimum resolution for the height is capped at 128 pixels. Is there a technical reason for this? I was thinking of doing something at 160x100 (half of 320x200). Otherwise I'm really excited about the resolution changes!

Hahah. Seriously, I wasn't sure if anyone would need a resolution lower than 320x200, so I used that made up number.
I think, on some occasion Allegro could not init a window smaller than 128x128, but I don't remember for sure; and then again you can use scaling filters.

So, I can certainly lower the limits down to ... 1x1 ... and see what happens.

selmiak

yay, don't push the pixel coming in soon! ;-D

Calin Leafshade

I've got some weirdness with the new compiler and for loops. Something weird is happening.

Take this short piece of code

Code: ags

Display("%d", top);
	for(y = start; y < h; y++) {
		bool found = false;
		for(x = 0; x < w; x++) {
			p = ds.GetPixel(x,y);
			if(p != COLOR_TRANSPARENT) {
				found = true;
				break;
			}
		}
		if (!found) {
			bottom = y;
			break;
		}
	}
	Display("%d", top);

The display at the top shows 5 and the display at the bottom shows 10 despite the top variable never being altered.

Gurok

Thanks, Calin. After our chat on IRC, I think it's the combination of a variable declaration inside a loop with a break. This is enough to give me "stack pointer was not zero at completion of script":

Code: ags
function breakBreak() {
		int y;

for(y = 0; y < 10; y++)
		{
			bool found = false;
			if(y == 5)
				break;
		}
}

Inner variable declarations aren't being dealt with properly. I'll look into this ASAP.

Calin Leafshade

Also I'm getting the same hard link error that blackthorne is getting.

Gurok

Okay, Calin. There's a pull request to fix that bug now.

To the people getting a hard link error, does your game have a .vox file?

Calin Leafshade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk