AGS 3.4.0.6 (Alpha) - Builder Patch

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sat 27/09/2014 17:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Armageddon on Tue 02/06/2015 00:50:24
Quote from: SnarkyLike Scavenger says, this is a hideous bug that should be fixed ASAP, and I find the decision to deliberately inflict it on your game deeply disturbing. Plus, relying on players not changing the filter settings?! Madness!

I don't think we should all suffer just because your one game uses the bug in a strange way. Most people would prefer to have it fixed.
If made, it will be made optional anyway, because my current condition is backwards compatibility too.

AGD2

No suffering. This would be an optional line in the .cfg file, and the default would be set to the new fixed style.

Crimson Wizard

To reply to proximity's and xil's discussion regarding mouse movement in fullscreen (found on previous page of this thread), this is known issue and discussed here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51695.0

I was looking to find the solution, but result is not acceptable at the moment. I will make another attempt soon. I have a plan to research other open sourced engines/games I know, like DOSBox, OpenTTD.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Wed 20/05/2015 08:43:04
I've started testing the Mage's Initiation source code in this latest alpha. And I seem to encounter Illegal exception crashes whenever ResetRoom() is called. I'm always calling it in a room other than the one that I'm trying to reset - typically in the room_Load function.

OMG, I wrote an endless "for" loop endlessly deleting objects from memory.
Fixed.

Armageddon

Quote from: AGD2 on Tue 02/06/2015 01:07:04
No suffering. This would be an optional line in the .cfg file, and the default would be set to the new fixed style.
I think it'd be better to have it in the editor options to compile with it. I wouldn't want players changing it by mistake.

Crimson Wizard

Say... is it not what "Smooth scaled sprites" config option does?

E: There is also "game.disable_antialiasing" script variable that disables this effect regardless of user settings.

If not, how do I achieve the effect? Does it occur with specific renderer only, for instance? Some info would help.

The only reference to "zooming" I found in Draconian Edition thread is this:
QuoteFixed Scaling on D3D (and now works fine with "Smooth scaled sprites" option)
It does not sound as same issue to me; could it be you were talking about two different problems?

AGD2

Quote from: Armageddon on Tue 02/06/2015 02:57:32
I think it'd be better to have it in the editor options to compile with it. I wouldn't want players changing it by mistake.

Yeah, that would be fine, too.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard
Say... is it not what "Smooth scaled sprites" config option does?

E: There is also "game.disable_antialiasing" script variable that disables this effect regardless of user settings.

If not, how do I achieve the effect? Does it occur with specific renderer only, for instance? Some info would help.

Fixed Scaling on D3D (and now works fine with "Smooth scaled sprites" option)

It does not sound as same issue to me; could it be you were talking about two different problems?

The issue I'm refering to is the one talked about in this post.

To quote Radiant:

"There's a graphical glitch with the Nearest Neighbor filter: it is not applied to characters. If using (e.g.) the 4x NN filter, then each pixel in the game is displayed as a 4x4 block of pixels on the screen. However, characters if zoomed use the full resolution, not 4x4 blocks. It appears the graphical operations are performed in the wrong order: the character is enlarged to 400% first, then reduced from there to account for scaling; whereas it should be the other way around; this discrepancy simply looks odd, as if the characters use a higher resolution than the backgrounds. I haven't checked, but this likely also applies to objects."

It only happens with the D3D driver. And it does only affect characters, not objects.

I'm not sure if this was fixed in the Draconian edition, but since it's a glitch people had been talking about fixing for a while, I'd assumed it was the same thing. Can you confirm, Armageddon?

Armageddon

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 02/06/2015 09:11:37
QuoteFixed Scaling on D3D (and now works fine with "Smooth scaled sprites" option)
That's exactly the fix that's needed for this version of AGS.

And you are correct! In the Draconian version that has scaling fixed, if you scale up a character and have smooth scaling enabled in the winsetup it will still retain the effect that exists now that AGD2 requires.

game.disable_antialiasing doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.

AGD2

I just confirmed that is is, indeed, already addressed in the Draconian edition. Below are screenshots of a 640x480 game, running under the NN filter at 1280x960.

--EDIT--

QuoteIn the Draconian version that has scaling fixed, if you scale up a character and have smooth scaling enabled in the winsetup it will still retain the effect that exists now that AGD2 requires.

In my tests with the Draconian, using smooth scaling didn't seem to have this effect. The Draconian screenshot I posted above has smooth scaling enabled for both DX5 and D3D9 drivers. But under Draconian, smooth scaling with the D3D9 driver results in characters displayed in the game resolution.

Also, pixel art sprites are somewhat ruined by smooth scaling, so the ideal solution would be not to rely on having winsetup options to control this, but rather for it to be an independent option in the editor compiler, like you mentioned above.

Armageddon

Sorry, you are correct, I was testing with a black background and small character so it looked extra blurry to me with smooth scaling on. I still think this is something that many people would like fixed more than not.

Crimson Wizard

AGS 3.4.0.5 (Alpha) - June Patch

ZIP-archive:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c6dgbooaz8qgb3c/AGS_3.4.0.5-Alpha-JunePatch.zip

Debug symbols (for developers):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5po297zlbb48h3h/PDB-3_4_0_5.zip

This is primarily a bug fixing update.
Includes all bug fixes from 3.3.4 pre-release.

Changes since 3.4.0.4:

Editor
Improvements
* Added Preference option "Prompt dialog on closing multiple tabs".

Bug Fixes
* Fixed compiler crash related to "continue" statement inside loop.
* Fixed Help window positioning on multi-monitor desktop.

Engine

Bug Fixes
* Fixed crash in ResetRoom() script function.
* Fixed potential crash occuring when loading a savedgame made when game file had different name.

monkey0506

I attempted to upgrade The Apotheosis Project to 3.4.0.4 to see how well it would work out. Initial builds seemed fine, but as room scripts were modified, somehow the room file version was changed. The editor could still read all of the CRM files just fine, but the engine crashed immediately, denoting a "bad packed file". The only place this seems to happen is if the room file version has a mismatch, but I haven't yet been able to pull out what file version is being reported. Still have the bad CRM files, but I'm attempting to revert to AGS 3.3.3 for now.

Crimson Wizard

I was testing compilation of 3.3.3 projects number of times, but never met the error you are describing.
Did you use legacy compiler or new compiler?
Can I get the erroneous project for a test?

monkey0506

It was definitely using the new compiler. Project was imported from 3.3.3 and worked fine initially. I'm actually curious if the files became corrupted when the computer restarted (automatically) for Windows Updates. I may have left the project open for several days...

I'd have to talk to m0ds to see if he's okay with me sending you files (as this isn't my game). As I said, I preserved the bad CRM files, so perhaps I can create a new project with 1 or 2 of these bad rooms. I'll let you know what he says. I hadn't modified any of the rooms except to edit their script files, so in the end I extracted the old CRM files back on top of the project and rebuilt, seemingly fixing everything.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey0506 on Sat 13/06/2015 18:34:47
I'd have to talk to m0ds to see if he's okay with me sending you files (as this isn't my game).
I will make an oath that I delete it after I finish my tests :D.

proximity

When i try to play an .ogv video it says "unable to load theora video". It doesn't even compile the OGV video in to the game.exe. It just copies it from compiled and pastes it to Windows/Linux folder. Please help :(
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Sat 20/06/2015 17:02:51
When i try to play an .ogv video it says "unable to load theora video". It doesn't even compile the OGV video in to the game.exe. It just copies it from compiled and pastes it to Windows/Linux folder. Please help :(
There might be a bug in new compiler. We will look into this, until then try doing File -> Preferences and click on "Use legacy compiler" (bottom-left of the dialog).
Delete Compiled folder completely and do Rebuild All.

proximity

Thanks Crimson, i will try that.

Edit : I give up. There is no way the engine plays .ogv or .ogg videos. I think i will use .avi or .mpg instead.
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Sun 21/06/2015 16:04:39
Edit : I give up. There is no way the engine plays .ogv or .ogg videos. I think i will use .avi or .mpg instead.
Why do you give up, this is something I must fix if its broken!

EDIT: I just did a test, and OGV plays nice for me.
Where do you put the file? I placed it in the game project folder (same folder where Game.agf is).

Quote from manual (PlayVideo article):
The first is OGG Theora, which is a recently introduced video file format. AGS has built-in support for playing these videos, so everyone who plays your game will be able to see the video. OGG Theora videos are also built into the game EXE file when you compile the game (just make sure the file has a .OGV extension and is placed in your main game folder).

proximity

I put OGV and OGG files in the main game folder, just like you. After then, i compiled the game. The video files were copied to the compiled folder. In the game, when i call PlayVideo command it just says "Unable to load theora video". I used version AGS 3.4.0.4. Those OGG and OGV files aren't broken because i can play them in a video player. I'd read the AGS help file 5 times before i tried it :smiley:

So, did you do something extra ? What am i missing ? Wrong version of OGV video may be ?

Edit : I tried it again. This time it worked :smiley: It played the video black & white ??? I tried all 4 flags but the result is the same.
Proximity Entertainment

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk