AGS 3.4.0.6 (Alpha) - Builder Patch

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sat 27/09/2014 17:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: rmonic79 on Fri 27/11/2015 09:30:11
Thanks for reply crimson,i don't want to combine them but i didn't find a way to unsetlightlevel and use region again. (to tell rhe truth i don't need it anymore cause we find a better solution using characters light level but, just for curiosity)
Oh, this may be done using Character.RemoveTint().
Looks like an oversight from my part to not explain this anywhere.

ollj

if i would be able to set integers in hexaecimal, that would be good.

Code: ags

//if you ever wanted to set... 
//int  i=-2147483648;
//this function tells you what AGS does inconveniently wrong in that case:

function on_mouse_click(MouseButton button){
  //32_bit_signed_int.range==[-2147483648 .. 2147483647]
  //the ags tutorial explicitly says so. you can find it by searchinf gor these numbers.
  //but "-2147483648" has artificial restrictions tht are just silly!
  #define MAX_POS32  2147483647//holds true, and AGS caps int at int>2147483647 //ocrrect  user friendly capping
  #define MAX_NEG32 -2147483648//holds true, BUT AGS caps int at int<2147483647 //error    user friendly capping gone bad
  //                                               AGG should cap  i at i<2147483648 //expected user friendly capping 
                                                       int a=  2147483648;//==2^31
  Display("For your convenience...[I wont let you      set a=  2147483648; because thats 2^31 and that would carry into the sign bit [Therefore I kindly set a=  %d; It is Super Effective!",a);
  //i think i am okay with this.
                                                    int b= -2147483648;//SADLY this sets i=-2147483647 (capped)
  Display("I'm afraid...          [I wont't let you set b= -2147483648; even though -2^31 is valid for the range of a signed_32_bit_int[          I kindly set b= %d; for your own inconvenience. And i just[           pretend that -2147483648 does not exist, even though it does. Die![Just for you dave! ",b);
  //okay fine, be that way! i have my one ace:
  int c=1073741824<<1;//==(2^30)<<1  //only by bitwise shifting i can set c=-2147483648;
  Display ("You defeated me this tine.[you set c= -2147483648 ==[==           %d[by setting c=1073741824<<1;//c=2^30<<1",c);
  //WRONGLY it pretends that i=-2147483648 is not even an option! And this makes
  //#define MAX_NEG32  -2147483648
  //defines wrongly to -2147483647
  //i really want to define a 32-bit sign bit="binary#10000000:000000000:00000000:00000000" for countless reasons.
  //but it just wont let me!
  //do i really need a global integer for that, set by shifting bitwise on game start.
  //thats just inconvenient!
}

Crimson Wizard

ollj, please use [ code=ags ] tag to mark the script examples.
I refuse to read anything written in font size that small...

abstauber

I'm getting these random crashes when I try to run my game from the editor.

Hitting run again and the problem is gone.
Is there a way to provide more debug information for you? Unfortunately no crash dumps are generated when this happens.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 09/12/2015 12:48:08
I'm getting these random crashes when I try to run my game from the editor.

Other people made this topic, and the issue seem similar: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52811.0
Unfortunately I am now busy finishing AGS 3.3.5, but when I'm done with that I will investigate.
Regarding details, did you change OS version, or installed any updates lately?

abstauber

Oh, this has already been reported? :-[
No worries, then - take your time, this isn't urgent at the moment.

And nope, no updates.

Monsieur OUXX

I don't know if this was the case before, but in this version you cannot do :

String s=null;
if (s=="")
{
   //do something
}

If you do that, the game stops with message "null pointer referenced" when trying to evaluate t=="".
I understand the underlying mechanism (there's probably an implicit something like s.GetValue() going on at some stage) but it doesn't feel right.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 11/12/2015 17:21:55
I don't know if this was the case before, but in this version you cannot do :

String s=null;
if (s=="")
{
   //do something
}

If you do that, the game stops with message "null pointer referenced" when trying to evaluate t=="".
I understand the underlying mechanism (there's probably an implicit something like s.GetValue() going on at some stage) but it doesn't feel right.

This was always like that because "==" operator between 2 strings was translated into "compare two strings".
It does not seem like there is any other reasonable effect of comparing a string reference and string literal. The operator cannot compare a pointer value and "", because "" is a valid string object (and null reference is not a valid object).
This is also why there is String.IsNullOrEmpty() function to be used instead of 's == ""'.

Blackthorne

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 18/11/2014 14:34:56
Quote from: Blackthorne on Tue 18/11/2014 14:22:55
As far as dialogue scripting goes, it'd be nice to tie "DisplayTopBar" to characters.  Often with NPCs without a portrait in Sierra Style Games, I use this.
This may be related to custom speech style and/or individual speech style idea.
Can you make an issue in tracker?

So, I was programming a bit again today and it made me think of this again!  Would anyone else like this function - to be able to choose TopBar as a "Portrait Mode" for characters speech?  Often in games, when characters do not have a portrait, I like to use 'DisplayTopBar' so you can see the name of the character speaking, but it creates problems in tracking it with the Speech Center plugin.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Blackthorne on Sat 12/12/2015 20:20:21
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 18/11/2014 14:34:56
Quote from: Blackthorne on Tue 18/11/2014 14:22:55
As far as dialogue scripting goes, it'd be nice to tie "DisplayTopBar" to characters.  Often with NPCs without a portrait in Sierra Style Games, I use this.
This may be related to custom speech style and/or individual speech style idea.
Can you make an issue in tracker?

So, I was programming a bit again today and it made me think of this again!  Would anyone else like this function - to be able to choose TopBar as a "Portrait Mode" for characters speech?  Often in games, when characters do not have a portrait, I like to use 'DisplayTopBar' so you can see the name of the character speaking, but it creates problems in tracking it with the Speech Center plugin.

Bt

The reason why I mentioned issue tracker in the previous answer was that this thread is dedicated to discuss existing version (3.4.0 alpha), its problems and bugs.
It is very difficult to keep track of suggestions when they are posted in random threads like this without any order.
Could you please move this suggestion to issue tracker or separate forum thread?

proximity

Quote from: proximity on Sat 14/11/2015 02:38:35
I'm having difficulties when rendering sprites with semi-transparent alpha (like a character has shadow under him). Character movement and scaling is slower than non-transparent sprites (characters with no shadow). They are all PNG format so i wonder what causes this. The game engine ? The graphic card or CPU performance ? May be Direct X 9.0 ?

My system is : AMD FX 8120 3.1 GHZ, Geforce 640 GT, 24 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 bit, DirectX 11. AGS 3.4.0.6 Builder Patch and game resolution 960*540.

Any ideas please ?
Proximity Entertainment

Scavenger

Quote from: proximity on Sat 12/12/2015 21:43:04
I'm having difficulties when rendering sprites with semi-transparent alpha (like a character has shadow under him). Character movement and scaling is slower than non-transparent sprites (characters with no shadow). They are all PNG format so i wonder what causes this. The game engine ? The graphic card or CPU performance ? May be Direct X 9.0 ?

My system is : AMD FX 8120 3.1 GHZ, Geforce 640 GT, 24 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 bit, DirectX 11. AGS 3.4.0.6 Builder Patch and game resolution 960*540.

Any ideas please ?

Are you using DirectDraw or Direct3D? If I remember correctly, the D3D driver is faster at drawing alpha blended sprites, and the DD5 driver is better at raw image manipulation. If your setup says DirectDraw, change it, if it's D3D, then there's a problem.

Crimson Wizard

First of all, image format is irrelevant, because when imported, all sprites become BMP.
Then, AGS still does many drawing operations on software level, and they never get accelerated (even not when Direct3D 9 is selected). Most notably it is when you draw something yourself (on DrawingSurface).
Could you describe what you do in more detail?

Quote from: Scavenger on Sat 12/12/2015 22:11:45
If I remember correctly, the D3D driver is faster at drawing alpha blended sprites, and the DD5 driver is better at raw image manipulation.
Regarding the latter, it is not much true for AGS, because in AGS D3D does not do any raw image manipulation at all. All raw bitmap changes are done in program code, D3D simply draws prepared sprites on screen. So D3D cannot become any worse than DD5.
IIRC, the only exception was "Fade out" effect which became slower in D3D mode for some reason.
Basically, in "Direct3D" mode, part of drawing is still done on "software" level (it is shared between two modes).

The true solution to this would be to move all image manipulation to hardware accelerated level, but this will require considerable changes to the engine.

proximity

I'm using direct3d in the settings. About giving more detail, i'm having difficulties when rendering playable characters in the game, while walking up and down directions (character scaling). Each has soft shadows under her/him, and they look like they are jittering. You can look at the character here : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=42489.0  Also, you can look at the video on Greenlight page. See what's happening while they are walking.

I honestly supposed it is because of graphic card performance but i think i am wrong. I know there is no solution to this right now but i just wanted to know what causes this.

Note : "Adjust speed with scaling" option in the character pane isn't selected. If i select this option, jittering effect gets bigger.

I hear you say "why are you trying 3d images with 2d engine ?" :-D
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Sun 13/12/2015 06:20:50
I'm using direct3d in the settings. About giving more detail, i'm having difficulties when rendering playable characters in the game, while walking up and down directions (character scaling). Each has soft shadows under her/him, and they look like they are jittering. You can look at the character here : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=42489.0  Also, you can look at the video on Greenlight page. See what's happening while they are walking.

By details, I was primarily interested in knowing how exactly do you make these shadows. Are they separate object/character? Are they predrawn on character sprites, or drawn dynamically as character walks?

proximity

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 13/12/2015 13:49:41
Quote from: proximity on Sun 13/12/2015 06:20:50

By details, I was primarily interested in knowing how exactly do you make these shadows. Are they separate object/character? Are they predrawn on character sprites, or drawn dynamically as character walks?

Ah sorry. Shadows are part of each sprite. They are not seperate. They are predrawn as the rest of the character.
Proximity Entertainment

monkey0506

I'm not sure when this issue first started occurring (I have been busy with other things for some time and have been away from AGS), but Avast antivirus is apparently now blocking AGS executables on my system. I'm not sure if this is something only in my local settings, but I wanted to mention it.

Currently it seems Avast is attempting to open the EXE in a sandbox, but for some reason it seems to be failing to do so. I have to manually kill the Avast system service or three separate instances of the executable will hang indefinitely, with no window appearing.

selmiak

turn off avast deepscreen. I had the same problem ~1 month ago ;)

MiteWiseacreLives!

I still have problems with Avast even with Deeps Screen off, I have to disable all file screening..

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Sun 13/12/2015 20:37:19
Ah sorry. Shadows are part of each sprite. They are not seperate. They are predrawn as the rest of the character.
I can not see any shadow jittering on video, probably I do not know what to pay attention to.
If this occurs when character is rescaled, then it could be that AGS does some software redrawing when creating cached images of scaled sprites, but I do not remember details at the moment. This needs more explicit tests and code investigation.

Quote from: monkey0506 on Sun 13/12/2015 23:01:11
I'm not sure when this issue first started occurring (I have been busy with other things for some time and have been away from AGS), but Avast antivirus is apparently now blocking AGS executables on my system.
Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Mon 14/12/2015 02:01:20
I still have problems with Avast even with Deeps Screen off, I have to disable all file screening..
Are we the ones who should be responsible for this, or Avast team is :undecided:? Have anyone tried asking their support/developers about why this may happen?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk