AGS 3.4.0.6 (Alpha) - Builder Patch

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sat 27/09/2014 17:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Just a quick question: With this version, is is possible to have function pointers/delegates/whatever you call them?
I couldn't find it in the first post.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Sat 09/01/2016 09:54:10
Just a quick question: With this version, is is possible to have function pointers/delegates/whatever you call them?
I couldn't find it in the first post.
No, AGS Script still does not support that.

cat

cat

I'm not sure if it was always like this or it's a new thing, but:

Is it not possible to have a character and view with the same name? I have a view "xyz" and when I want to name a character "cXyz" I get a message that this name is already used. However, if I rename the view to "vXyz" it works. It's a bit weird that for one item the prefix matters and for the other it doesn't.

Dave Gilbert

I have a feature request of my own!

Is there a way to change the dialog option text at runtime? There's a character in the game that the player can name, and I'd love to be able to have the dialog options reflect that.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Fri 15/01/2016 17:24:51
Is it not possible to have a character and view with the same name? I have a view "xyz" and when I want to name a character "cXyz" I get a message that this name is already used. However, if I rename the view to "vXyz" it works. It's a bit weird that for one item the prefix matters and for the other it doesn't.
I think this is because AGS still creates old-style integer constants for characters and views IDs. These constants have name in all capital letters, for characters they are equal to character name minus "c" prefix, but for the views they are probably identical to View name.

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 15/01/2016 17:28:07
Is there a way to change the dialog option text at runtime? There's a character in the game that the player can name, and I'd love to be able to have the dialog options reflect that.
Not at the moment, but if you have custom dialog options rendering in your game, you may do a trick and draw different text for particular options. For example, you may introduce some kind of "tag", a special sequence of characters, like "%MY PET NAME%", and if this is found in dialog text, replace it with a name of your own before putting that on screen.

Regarding the feature request, this is potentionally possible to do in some future update.

Just to clarify on my plans, I am very much wary (as probably most of the users) that this 3.4.0 version has not been released properly for more than 1.5 years; so my priority aims are:
- release 3.3.5, which is a last feature update to 3.3 branch.
- merge everything into 3.4.0 and bring it at least to beta stage (no more features added).
- only after that I will create next WIP version to add more features.

monkey0506

I can confirm the naming issue. IFF a character name starts with the 'c' prefix, then AGS will (for legacy purposes) define the preprocessor macro "NAME" (where "NAME" is the rest of the character's name, sans the 'c' prefix). View names are similarly made into macros, but lack any prefix. So a character "cName" and a view "Name" will actually conflict. Unless I'm mistaken, AGS's compiler actually has a "proper" preprocessor for macros in that it does a text replacement in your scripts. This would mean that it could be phased out of the editor altogether without negatively affecting legacy games. I'm not aware of anyone who has upgraded to current versions of the editor that is still relying on character name macros (typically used with the legacy character script functions).

cat

Interesting. Since there are no namespaces for items, it might be useful to use a prefix for views anyway to easily find them in Intellisense.

@Dave Gilbert: Custom dialog rendering is actually quite easy and might be worth taking a look at for your issue :)

@Crimson Wizard: Beta stage would be great. I think it's quite stable by now and has lots of useful features.

I just discovered some issues with custom resolutions and the built-in dialogs. Not sure if anyone has ever used such a thing before...
Anyway, with a resolution of 380x270 the built-in dialogs (exit confirmation, Debug-change-room) are placed and scaled in a way that only half of the dialog is visible on screen.

Neo_One

Last versión (3.4.6) the Linux port option has dissapear in general settings. Why?

cat

Another question: is it now possible to somehow change the name of an object? I can set cSomeCharacter.Name but oItem.Name seems to be readonly.

monkey0506

Quote from: Neo_One on Sun 17/01/2016 09:41:50
Last versión (3.4.6) the Linux port option has dissapear in general settings. Why?

It seems CW has had some trouble rebuilding for Linux. You can grab the 3.4.0.6 Linux binaries here. Extract to AGS editor folder, and the Linux build option should reappear in General Settings.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey0506 on Mon 18/01/2016 13:50:083.4.0.6 Linux binaries here. Extract to AGS editor folder, and the Linux build option should reappear in General Settings.

Thank you!
Added link to the first page.

Quote from: cat on Sun 17/01/2016 12:14:11
Another question: is it now possible to somehow change the name of an object? I can set cSomeCharacter.Name but oItem.Name seems to be readonly.
No, although we had such requests.
I suggest using Custom Properties, which can be changed at runtime now.

jwalt

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 14/12/2015 12:53:29
Quote from: monkey0506 on Sun 13/12/2015 23:01:11
I'm not sure when this issue first started occurring (I have been busy with other things for some time and have been away from AGS), but Avast antivirus is apparently now blocking AGS executables on my system.
Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Mon 14/12/2015 02:01:20
I still have problems with Avast even with Deeps Screen off, I have to disable all file screening..
Are we the ones who should be responsible for this, or Avast team is :undecided:? Have anyone tried asking their support/developers about why this may happen?

Maybe it is because AGS is not digitally signed (or has no contract with microsoft/avast) and thus not recognised as a trusted source and the game.exe files AGS creates are even less so.

I'm using 3.3.0. I've been trying to make a MAGS entry and had sent my game to a couple of friends for beta testing. The only one who had trouble getting the game to run uses Avast. I'd changed the game's name along the way, and Avast picked that up, alerting the gal that something was wrong with the file name. I suggested she rename the exe file to its original name, the one Avast was bitching about. She did it, and the game ran without her having to shut down her antivirus. Not sure, but this may have to do with trying to change the name that, according to the start up screen, can't be changed. I didn't have a title that worked for me until I'd already made four tries. Not sure this has any relavance, but might be interesting to know how many of the folks with Avast problems are trying to play a game that has had its unchangeable name changed, somewhere along the line.

cat

Is there a known issue with System.Volume? Because setting this value didn't work, but
Game.SetAudioTypeVolume(eAudioTypeMusic, level, eVolExistingAndFuture);
did work (thanks Gurok for that).
Im using MIDI music.

monkey0506

This version is feature-locked, yes? If I want to add a new feature, should I push up a 3.4.1 development branch? Should that first wait for 3.4.0 to pull in changes from master?

@cat: I'm not certain, but I seem to recall some quirkiness about MIDI audio... there might be something to be done, but I'm not sure (didn't want you to feel that you were ignored).

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey0506 on Mon 25/01/2016 13:45:00
This version is feature-locked, yes? If I want to add a new feature, should I push up a 3.4.1 development branch? Should that first wait for 3.4.0 to pull in changes from master?
I would say, that depends. It will still take some time to merge latest changes from 3.3.5 into 3.4 (more changes were done to code that has differences in two branches).
On other hand, I would advise against putting some big feature which could take months to flesh out and test into this branch.

In short - if it is something that does not change engine radically and not imply later "add-ons", I guess it is still okay to add to 3.4.0.
If contrary, you could keep it in separate feature branch for the time being, or we may discuss opening new develop branch (although, to be honest, personally I don't like to have too many of these).

EDIT: Additionally, we need to seriously consider how we choose next versions. Since introduction of the automatic build server, we were talking with Nick Sonneveld about moving to shorter development periods. Having that in mind, adding minor features could be done as updates to 3.4, while developing major, and especially breaking, changes should aim next major version (3.5).

monkey0506

Understood. I was mostly wanting to expose some additional properties that aren't available at run-time. Specifically, the "say" flag for dialog options and maybe the dialog bullet setting. I looked into the "say" flag a bit, and AFAICT it shouldn't impact anything else, just whether the option is spoken when the interaction is processed. I'm needing read and write access to that flag. The dialog bullet setting I really only need read access to so that I can initialize my module's bullet property.

FWIW, these would seem to complement the other changes to custom dialog option rendering (which is exactly what I need them for). I will take a look at this later, and base my changes on 3.4.0 branch.

cat

Thanks, monkey0506. Once I'm done with MAGS I might create a demo project and file a tracker ticket.

cat

Another audio issue, this time with an ogg sound effect.

I wanted to play a sound effect, but it was not audible. The effect was very short, about 340 milliseconds. Playing another ogg sound instead worked. When I made the original sound longer (i.e. by adding silence at the end until it was about 630 milliseconds), it was suddenly audible. Is there a minimum length for sound effects?

Opening the audio clip in AGS and using the play button there worked in both cases, the long and the short version.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk