AGS 3.4.0.6 (Alpha) - Builder Patch

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sat 27/09/2014 17:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

It seems that the master branch can be merged into develop-3.4.0 without any conflict. Would it be a good time to go ahead and merge the branches and start to consolidate this into a release version?

Mehrdad

Great news.I hope CW and your leave 3.3.x and release 3.4 this week.
monkeyo506 please see my post for Android :
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44768.msg636529764;boardseen#new
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey0506 on Tue 02/02/2016 22:48:33
It seems that the master branch can be merged into develop-3.4.0 without any conflict.
Is there a practical purpose for merging master into 3.4.0 right now? There are no general engine changes in master as compared to 3.4.0, only some stuff related to automatic building.
develop-3.3.5 must be merged to 3.4.0 (when its complete). There will be quite a lot of conflicts in the code, which will take time to resolve.

Quote from: Mehrdad on Wed 03/02/2016 05:22:35
I hope CW and your leave 3.3.x and release 3.4 this week.
Impossible. I must finish 3.3.5 first. Then, it may take at least a week to merge 3.3.5 and 3.4.0.

monkey0506

I think I was confused because of the fact that there is active development in master, develop-3.3.5, and develop-3.4.0. I was thinking that the latest changes to master were the latest pre-3.4.0 changes. The motivation then was to finalize master for a formal release and prepare 3.4.0, but of course I misunderstood. I don't understand why any changes have been placed in master as I thought master was supposed to always represent "latest stable release". Obviously if we're making changes to master, then that's not the case... :(

What, then, must be done to merge 3.3.5 into 3.4.0 I wonder... I'm not trying to frustrate the situation, I'm just trying to find some way to be helpful and do something useful.

Crimson Wizard

Yes, I know, that may be confusing.

Latest changes to master were not affecting anything in the engine, rather they served automatic building (I think these were updates to Android, iOS and PSP libraries). Also I added some info to the readmes.

3.3.5 should be finished, then I guess we will have to make a merge in pull request, because some of the changes made to 3.3.5 require complete rewrite for 3.4.0 (code is that different).

What's left for 3.3.5 is few issues, mainly related to Linux, plus updating the Manual, which I am working on right now.
I think it's easier to refer to 3.3.5 milestone in Git: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/milestones/3.3.5
Also, I wanted someone to look into this strange issue: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=735.0
Also, there were number of (seemingly) minor issues in the Editor, that were planned for 3.3.5 long ago, but almost no one works on the Editor nowadays: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?project=5;area=issues;status=open;version=144

proximity

Any news about 3.4.0.7 ? Release date is still unknown ?
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Sat 06/02/2016 15:03:02

Just in the post above I as saying, that I must finish 3.3.5 first, then merge into 3.4.0, and that will be next release.

Are you looking for particular fixes/features? The development of 3.4 was practically stalled while I was working on 3.3.5.

proximity

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 07/02/2016 14:25:38
Quote from: proximity on Sat 06/02/2016 15:03:02

Just in the post above I as saying, that I must finish 3.3.5 first, then merge into 3.4.0, and that will be next release.

Are you looking for particular fixes/features? The development of 3.4 was practically stalled while I was working on 3.3.5.

I was looking for a solution of weird mouse cursor movement issue on full-screen. It really annoys me and i guess it will absolutely annoy players :( Would you recommend me to switch to other versions ? I don't know if it is possible to switch from 3.4.0.6 to 3.3.4. (Game resolution is 960*540)
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Tue 09/02/2016 13:41:25
I was looking for a solution of weird mouse cursor movement issue on full-screen. It really annoys me and i guess it will absolutely annoy players :( Would you recommend me to switch to other versions ? I don't know if it is possible to switch from 3.4.0.6 to 3.3.4. (Game resolution is 960*540)
I see.

No, it won't be possible to switch versions.
I hope to finish 3.3.5 on this week, after which I will be working on merging 3.3.5 into 3.4.0 (which will carry mouse fix as well).
I predict that itself may take about a week.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 09/02/2016 13:59:35
I see.

I hope to finish 3.3.5 on this week, after which I will be working on merging 3.3.5 into 3.4.0 (which will carry mouse fix as well).

This is wonderful news, CW! Thank you so much for all your hard work.

monkey0506

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 09/02/2016 13:59:35I hope to finish 3.3.5 on this week, after which I will be working on merging 3.3.5 into 3.4.0 (which will carry mouse fix as well).

Just a head's up, I've been working on this myself actually. There are some big changes involving the mouse code (and maybe some others) that I may not have merged properly so I'll ask you to take a careful look at the merged features when I have it ready, since you know the code better than myself, but I've made quite a bit of headway here... a lot of the conflicts are entirely trivial.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey0506 on Tue 09/02/2016 19:34:42
Just a head's up, I've been working on this myself actually. There are some big changes involving the mouse code (and maybe some others) that I may not have merged properly so I'll ask you to take a careful look at the merged features when I have it ready, since you know the code better than myself, but I've made quite a bit of headway here... a lot of the conflicts are entirely trivial.

Since I knew about this only now, I would like to ask to create a separate branch for this (forking from current develop-3.4.0), and do several commits: first a merge commit with only trivial items merged, and then separate commits each reimplementing a single feature/change (that requires different reimplemention). Then, this should be done as a pull request (I was myself planning to make one) for review and fix if required, etc.

I was mostly wondering about graphics mode init and winsetup code, because they were rewritten completely. Some fixes to gfx init made in 3.3.5 may not need to be carried over at all.

E: Also, idk if you are aware of that, but I noticed that when you were updating 3.3.5 branch in your repository you created redundant "merge" commits instead of fast-forward update; could it be that you are using "always create merge commit" option?

proximity

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 09/02/2016 13:59:35
I see.

Great news ! That's sooner than I've expected. When you release the merged edition, I'd gladly switch from 3.4.0.6 to it and share some feedback. I haven't encountered any editor or game crashes by 3.4.0.6. I believe I won't encounter any problems with the merged edition too.
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Looking at that pull request makes me scared (lol).
6 months of differences! Ugh-oh.

I will be able to check this properly only after we have 3.3.5 release candidate.

monkey0506

So far the only things in the pull request are the non-conflicting merged commits, so presumably those shouldn't present any issues to the code, but it does leave many features in an incomplete state. Any files with conflict were simply left out so far on this branch. I'll be working on that.

Mehrdad

I switched from 3.3 to 3.4. Everything is OK but I see delay and similar to pause about 2 second when I have change room.it only happen when I have fade in /out  . Other transitions is ok.Also 16 bit is fine it occurs on 32 bit.Where is my wrong?
Edit: compile exe is OK too. I have this problem in to the test game in editor.
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

LameNick

also when testing a game in the editor, playing theora video doesn't seem to work, while in compilation it works.

(not that it poses any problem for me, its just a little strange)

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Crimson Wizard

Just FYI, we are in the process of merging AGS 3.3.5 into 3.4.0. The 3.3.5 release was delayed because of several issues found, but these are dealt with now.

proximity

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 18/03/2016 12:57:23
Just FYI, we are in the process of merging AGS 3.3.5 into 3.4.0. The 3.3.5 release was delayed because of several issues found, but these are dealt with now.

Wonderful ! We're eagerly anticipating it :)
Proximity Entertainment

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 18/03/2016 12:57:23

This is super exciting. Thank you again for all your hard work, CW!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk