AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Wait, did anybody actually guess the answer? :undecided:

For me, my absence has definitely been OROW related. :)

AnasAbdin

I got so excited seeing Baron in this thread.. then disappointed >:(

Half a mentor before a sealess planet (5)

AGS related.

Baron

Well....

Spoiler
Half a mentor is probably "men" or "tor".  Every synonym of mentor that I could find (teacher, guide, trainer, coach, tutor, advisor...) all have an odd number of letters, which makes taking half of them unlikely.

For a while I thought you meant "seal-less" planet....(roll)  I was raking my brains for a planet that would be exceptionally hostile to pinnipeds. :P  But when I latched on to the fact that it was "sea-less" planet, I immediately thought of Neptune, because it was named after the god of the sea.  But taking the sea out of Neptune proved hard without lapsing into Little Mermaid fantasies again, so I tried a different tack.  Mercury has the Latin/French word for sea right there ("mer"), so sea-less Mercury = "cury," or maybe "QE" if it was really poorly pronounced.  So what I'm left with is men + qe = menqe, whatever that means.  Or tor + cury = torcury, which interestingly is a Bengali dish, so..... basically I got nothing.  .....Yet.
[close]

Stupot

Spoiler
nice catch with 'met' being French for sea. That hadn't occurred to me.

My interpretation of 'sealess' is 'C-less', but there is only one planet in our solar system that has a C in it.

Let's take the C out of Mercury and at the first half of 'mentor'...

Menmerury...

How about memory? AGS games use a certain amount of memory, right?

[close]

AnasAbdin

One of Baron's synonyms for mentor somehow works but it's not the one I intended for the puzzle.
Stu's 'C-less' is perfect. The planet part has nothing to do with non English languages.

I can't stop laughing at Menmerury (laugh)

Baron

OK, so.....

Spoiler
How strict are we being on planets?  The dwarf-planet Ceres has some good letters if you remove the "Sea".  So...  "coach"/2 + Ceres -Ce = Cores?
[close]

AnasAbdin

Wrong :P
The planet is not a gas giant.

Stupot

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Thu 03/09/2015 05:12:12
Wrong :P
The planet is not a gas giant.
Spoiler
Wait. Does the C mean Carbon? So it's not a gas giant, and has no carbon?
[close]

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 03/09/2015 06:00:32
Spoiler
Wait. Does the C mean Carbon? So it's not a gas giant, and has no carbon?
[close]

Nope. It's the letter C.

AnasAbdin

Hint time 8-)

Spoiler
The planet part does not refer to a specific planet name. What do some scientists call a non gas giant planet Orbiting a star?
[close]

Spoiler
...containing the letter C.
[close]

Spoiler
..then remove the letter C (laugh)
[close]

Baron

Hmmmm......

Spoiler
What doscientists call non-gas giant planets?  I thought they were terrestrial planets, but that doesn't have any C's.  So.... They could be "rocky" planets, or "rock" planets, or "ice" planets, although that's less likely....  So that leaves us with "roy", "ro" or maybe "ie".

Let's pair those guesses with my synonyms before, which AnasAbdin said were wrong but one of them worked anyway: mentor, teacher, guide, trainer, coach, tutor, advisor.

So....

men-roy    tor-roy     tea-roy       cher-roy       gui-roy     de-roy      trai-roy     ner-roy    co-roy      ach-roy     tu-roy    tor-roy     advi-roy     sor-roy
men-ro      tor-ro       tea-ro         cher-ro         gui-ro       de-ro        trai-ro       ner-ro      co-ro        ach-ro       tu-ro      tor-ro       advi-ro       sor-ro
men-ie       tor-ie        tea-ie          cher-ie          gui-ie        de-ie         trai-ie        ner-ie       co-ie         ach-ie        tu-ie     tor-ie        advi-ie        sor-ie

So I guess my best guess is torro, the Spanish bull. ;)
[close]

AnasAbdin

So close! However..
Spoiler

You removed more than a 'C' from your guess which caused you a lot of confusion.
[close]

Wyz

Spoiler
So it's 'Turok'? That fits but I guess it's not AGS related :D
[close]
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Stupot

Quote from: Wyz on Mon 07/09/2015 00:38:00
Spoiler
So it's 'Turok'? That fits but I guess it's not AGS related :D
[close]
Piggyback time.
Spoiler
Gurok! Going by one of Baron's synonyms, guide. Roughly half of which is GU. A sealess planet is basically a rock. -C ROK
Also, it rhymes with Turok :-D
[close]

AnasAbdin

Stu is correct! ;-D

Spoiler
Half  guru, c-less rock...
[close]

Next!

AnasAbdin

I'm getting a lot of inspiration  :-[

AGSer looking in a mirror, stuck in between an endless moment and a limb's limb

Hint:
Spoiler
  :P
[close]

Baron

Spoiler
Momresgatoe! ;-D
[close]

Also, on the long-odd chance that this isn't correct, a word count would be nice. :)

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Baron on Thu 10/09/2015 02:02:17
Spoiler
Momresgatoe! ;-D
[close]

Also, on the long-odd chance that this isn't correct, a word count would be nice. :)

Spoiler
[close]

Creamy

Could it be :
Spoiler
Tic Tac Toe?
[close]

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Creamy on Thu 10/09/2015 21:37:12
Could it be :
Spoiler
Tic Tac Toe?