Spoiler
Chris Jones?
[close]

OMG! I thought that would take slightly longer to figure out :-[

* Mandle passes the ball to AnasAbdin

AnasAbdin

:-D :grin: :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :-D
To be fair... I figured out the Chris part and guessed the rest :-[
Mandle you really don't know who you're dealing with here (laugh)

* AnasAbdin dodges the ball and waits for anyone to jump in

Baron

Margin for old liquid sugar and endless infection (6,4)

And if that's not enough jumping in, I have an old one that I remember from a real genuine crossword I once did (I was THAT impressed!):

hijklmno (5)

Mandle

The hijklmno one is:

Spoiler
WATER...(H to O)
[close]

Hehe, very clever puzzle too...was completely on the wrong track when it suddenly just hit me :-D

As for Margin for old liquid sugar and endless infection:

Spoiler
I think the second word is "Emic" and I'm guessing "margin" means use the first and last letters and "liquid sugar" is "syrup" or "sucrose"...but now I'm lost....any hints? (laugh)
[close]

Cassiebsg

I'm doomed if anyone ever decides to make this into an adventure game...I'll be constantly looking for the cheats/walkthrough....(roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Baron

Excellent work on "water", Mr. Mandle! ;-D

But it looks like the AGS-related clue has you folks reaching for the cheat-book already, eh?

Spoiler
(old liquid sugar (3) + endless infection (3)) + Margin (4)
[close]

If that's too vague you'll get another hint tomorrow. :)

selmiak

the water one is great!
I have no clues on all the other clues though :P

Mandle

Am I even close at all?
Spoiler

_ _ _ ger edge

I thought "germ" for "infection" minus the "m" because it's "endless", and edge for "margin"
[close]

Baron

Not even close buddy.  Except for your interpretation of 'endless', at least. ;-D

Spoiler
(old liquid sugar (3) + endless infection (3)) + margin (4)
[close]

And if that doesn't help....

Spoiler
Think what would happen to that liquid sugar when it gets really old
[close]

Spoiler
Think more of the symptoms of infection, rather than the root cause
[close]

Spoiler
Think about the margin less as a boundary and more as a space unto itself
[close]

CaptainD

I'm not quite sure about my workings for the first word tbh, but is
Spoiler
Monkey Ball
[close]
?

Baron

Nope. But your last letter is only one off! ;)

CaptainD

Quote from: Baron on Tue 11/11/2014 11:43:53

Last letter of the first word?  Is the second word right or is it just all completely off...

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Tue 11/11/2014 11:43:53

So....erm....

Spoiler
Balm or Balk? I can't see how either could be related to Margin though? Is the second word "Side"? And is the first word "_ _ _ sic"? Does "old liquid sugar" have anything to do with alcohol?

"Physic Side"? (Fizz for what old liquid sugar does when it becomes alcohol...Sic from "Sick" minus the end? I'm really grasping here...
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
Balk as a shortened form of Bulwark?
[close]

AnasAbdin

OMG Baron you weasel! :-D
Spoiler
Rumpus Room?
[close]

Baron

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 11/11/2014 16:45:17

Weasel-ness confirmed! ;-D  AnasAbdin has indeed unravelled my diabolical puzzle.  Although part marks have to go to Mandle for discerning that there was some liquor involved.  :=  Good guessing, team!

Solution:
Spoiler

old liquid sugar = "rum" (as in it is derived from fermented and distilled sugar)
endless infection = "pus" (as in icky "puss" that festers in an infected wound, minus the last letter)
margin = "room", as in space (or room) to jot notes, etc.
[close]

Sorry if this one was a bit too complex.  I'll tone it down a bit next time.  (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Tue 11/11/2014 22:07:03
Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 11/11/2014 16:45:17

Weasel-ness confirmed! ;-D  AnasAbdin has indeed unravelled my diabolical puzzle.  Although part marks have to go to Mandle for discerning that there was some liquor involved.  :=  Good guessing, team!

Solution:
Spoiler

old liquid sugar = "rum" (as in it is derived from fermented and distilled sugar)
endless infection = "pus" (as in icky "puss" that festers in an infected wound, minus the last letter)
margin = "room", as in space (or room) to jot notes, etc.
[close]

Sorry if this one was a bit too complex.  I'll tone it down a bit next time.  (nod)

Spoiler
(laugh) Damn, and I might have had it too if I'd realized that I've been spelling "pus" wrong all these years...Oh, and that everyone else had been spelling it wrong as well :P (laugh)

I literally discounted "pus" 3-4 times as it was the most obvious symptom of infection, but only has three letters so didn't fit.

Mind you, the idea of an icky "puss" (a cat I mean...not the worse meaning) festering in a wound does bring to mind some rather grotesque images I might be able to apply in my Lovecraft game...hmmmmmmmmm :-X

(I hope no offence is taken Baron. That is not my intention, but sometimes a "kidding around" tone can be mistaken for something else in text. Everyone has their own pet spelling mistakes, and it can be quite a surprise when you find out you've been spelling something wrong for years. It's happened to me quite a few times myself. Luckily yours was not a word you would write often. Most of mine were/are...(laugh))
[close]

Baron

No apology necessary, my good Mandle.  Your initial conclusion was the correct one: clearly everyone else has been spelling "puss" wrong all these years! ;)

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Wed 12/11/2014 01:50:24
No apology necessary, my good Mandle.  Your initial conclusion was the correct one: clearly everyone else has been spelling "puss" wrong all these years! ;)

Hahaha....I had a feeling there would be a Baronly overruling on the whole spelling thing...:-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk