AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

AnasAbdin

Here's a quick and easy one:

Cover X something she wants (8)

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 09/11/2014 17:54:54
I'm doomed if anyone ever decides to make this into an adventure game...I'll be constantly looking for the cheats/walkthrough....(roll)

Frighteningly so, but....My first ever concept for an AGS game was pretty much based on these kind of cryptic word puzzles...I may still make it as it remains a story close to my heart...

The popularity of this thread kind of encourages me to give it another go actually...

Baron

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Wed 12/11/2014 03:06:57
Cover X something she wants (8)

Is there an "X" in the answer, or is that a multiplication symbol?  I was crunching a few equations to try to get an 8 "digit" answer, but I'm not coming up with anything intelligible yet (even by my standards.... (roll)).

AnasAbdin

Spoiler
you got it right about X being a symbol.
[close]

Wyz

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 12/11/2014 04:33:24
(...)
The popularity of this thread kind of encourages me to give it another go actually...

Well that has secretly always been my intention when I made this thread of course. ;)

Hmmm I get the feeling it has something to do with a
Spoiler
cross
[close]
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Wyz on Thu 13/11/2014 20:07:46

Spoiler
cross
[close]

Spoiler
No it has nothing to do with a cross. It is a symbol though, just need the pronunciation of it  :P
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Thu 13/11/2014 20:22:31
Quote from: Wyz on Thu 13/11/2014 20:07:46

Spoiler
cross
[close]

Spoiler
No it has nothing to do with a cross. It is a symbol though, just need the pronunciation of it  :P
[close]

Spoiler
times?
[close]

Baron

No, that's too long.  I'm guessing:

Spoiler
X = "by"
[close]

So that's two of eight letters, leaving six left.  So....

Spoiler
Cover = "lid", "cap", "hat", "top" or something else short, probably three letters.  That leaves three letters for "what she wants".  Stereotypically I'd have said that "she wants" a "ring", but that's too many letters unless we can find some economies somewhere.  Maybe she wants someone who doesn't fart in bed, but we'd need a shoehorn to get that into the allotted 8 characters, let alone the three or four that are likely remaining to us. (roll)  Are their any female crypto-sleuths in this thread who can shed some light on the feminine psyche?  We men are obviously oblivious! :-\
[close]

Mandle

I might have had it, if it was 9 letters instead of 8:

Spoiler
TimeStone (Times from the X mark, stone from diamond("girl's best friend"), and one word is covering the other at the "s") Damnit, all good except that extra letter, and it being two words :( )

TimeRing then?(Same reasoning but with the "r" covering the "s")

Geez, what the heck am I talking about???

One more:

Onyx Ring? (To cover X you put something "On X"="Onyx" and she wants a "ring"?:P
[close]

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Baron on Fri 14/11/2014 01:56:56
Spoiler
Cover = "lid", "cap", "hat", "top" or something else short, probably three letters.  That leaves three letters for "what she wants".  Stereotypically I'd have said that "she wants" a "ring", but that's too many letters unless we can find some economies somewhere.  Maybe she wants someone who doesn't fart in bed, but we'd need a shoehorn to get that into the allotted 8 characters, let alone the three or four that are likely remaining to us. (roll)  Are their any female crypto-sleuths in this thread who can shed some light on the feminine psyche?  We men are obviously oblivious! :-\
[close]

Spoiler
you solved the cover part in one of the words there.
[close]

Spoiler
the X is a number
[close]

And....
Spoiler
if you are oblivious of what females want from us men... then I feel so sorry for you.
[close]

Baron

Spoiler
CaptainD?
[close]

Also.... (roll)
Spoiler
Quote from: AnasAbdin on Fri 14/11/2014 03:53:29
if you are oblivious of what females want from us men... then I feel so sorry for you.
It's usually something to do with laundry or dishes.  But don't feel sorry: I am well compensated for my efforts. ;-D
[close]

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Baron on Fri 14/11/2014 04:56:18
Spoiler
CaptainD?
[close]

Also.... (roll)
Spoiler
Quote from: AnasAbdin on Fri 14/11/2014 03:53:29
It's usually something to do with laundry or dishes.  But don't feel sorry: I am well compensated for my efforts. ;-D
[close]

lol you got it Baron!

Mandle

Spoiler
Ahhhh...Soooo:

Cap+Ten=Captain and therefore "D" means...

Oh dear...

I did not realise we were going there... :shocked:
[close]

Mandle

Myself in the middle of backwards intercourse (unwell but not half okay.) after half-way through a northern leap(10)

This might be impossible to solve so I will give a hint right from the start:

Spoiler
It's AGS related
[close]

CaptainD

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 14/11/2014 10:01:26
Myself in the middle of backwards intercourse(10)

I presume this part is
Spoiler
xies
[close]
but unsure if the "unwell" part of the clue relates to that or the next bit?

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 14/11/2014 11:00:42
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 14/11/2014 10:01:26
Myself in the middle of backwards intercourse(10)

I presume this part is
Spoiler
xies
[close]
but unsure if the "unwell" part of the clue relates to that or the next bit?

Spoiler
You are exactly on the right track, but the "unwell" part is vital in putting the "i" exactly in the middle of "sex"...or rather "xes"...I really should have put "unwell" in brackets, as in (unwell) but it just looked ugly and spoiled the flow of the sentence...

Main hint is now adjusted to be slightly more clear...
[close]

CaptainD

Ah, so...

Spoiler
4 letters... SICK so it's the second letter, right?
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 14/11/2014 12:51:33
Ah, so...

Spoiler
4 letters... SICK so it's the second letter, right?
[close]

Spoiler
SICK is a part of the solution for sure! But I think I updated the main clue after you posted...
[close]

Gurok

Spoiler
AprilSkies?
[close]
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk