AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

MiteWiseacreLives!

Spoiler
Studious Hug == Grasping + chuck + three kiss  ??
[close]
I should go back to my game, I stink at this...

Adeel

Another wild guess:

Spoiler
Stupot+ ?
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
“Studiously” is clearly a reference to Bear hugging, which is related to the study of financial markets in university.  Charles is probably reference to Charles Davenport in the in-development game “Jack: The Ripper Murders”, and the Xs surely represent kisses.  The fact that there are 3 kisses represents great fondness but not passion (that would be 4 Xs).  Therefore it is probably a friend or relative of Charles rather than a wife or lover. 

Bear can be shortened to “Br” as in Enid Blyton's wonderful Brer Rabbit stories.  Using the 2nd, 3rd and 4th letters of Charles' surname, we come up with “ave”.  Kisses are delivered with the lips, taking the first two letters of that and replacing the “I” with “y” because it begs the question of WHY is Charles being kissed with fondness but without passion, and we end up with bravely

Easy. :grin:
[close]

AnasAbdin

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 20/11/2014 09:43:31
Spoiler
“Studiously” is clearly a reference to Bear hugging, which is related to the study of financial markets in university.  Charles is probably reference to Charles Davenport in the in-development game “Jack: The Ripper Murders”, and the Xs surely represent kisses.  The fact that there are 3 kisses represents great fondness but not passion (that would be 4 Xs).  Therefore it is probably a friend or relative of Charles rather than a wife or lover. 

Bear can be shortened to “Br” as in Enid Blyton's wonderful Brer Rabbit stories.  Using the 2nd, 3rd and 4th letters of Charles' surname, we come up with “ave”.  Kisses are delivered with the lips, taking the first two letters of that and replacing the “I” with “y” because it begs the question of WHY is Charles being kissed with fondness but without passion, and we end up with bravely

Easy. :grin:
[close]

Baron

Alas, CaptainD is only partly correct...

Spoiler
"studiously" does indeed refer to university, or at least a tertiary education institution.
[close]

Spoiler
I could have just as easily used 2 exes, or four exes, but one ex would not have worked.
[close]

Spoiler
Charles isn't a person.
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
Xs = multiples of previous?
[close]

Baron

Spoiler
No, you guys were closer with the Roman numerals
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
Mittens
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 21/11/2014 12:41:06
Spoiler
Mittens
[close]

Spoiler
Certainly right I'm sure: "MIT" is a university and is "hugging" as in "right up against" the "tens", but what did "Charles" have to do with it??? I'm guessing it was a hint to point in the direction of "MIT" which does have a pub named "The Muddy Charles" but ....hmmmm... stumped...

Great work though CaptainD...This one was a bit beyond me...(laugh)
[close]

Mandle

Repeatedly evading tornadoes unites rednecks (6)

CaptainD

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 21/11/2014 15:12:23
Spoiler
Mittens
[close]

Spoiler
Certainly right I'm sure: "MIT" is a university and is "hugging" as in "right up against" the "tens", but what did "Charles" have to do with it??? I'm guessing it was a hint to point in the direction of "MIT" which does have a pub named "The Muddy Charles" but ....hmmmm... stumped...

Great work though CaptainD...This one was a bit beyond me...(laugh)
[close]

Spoiler
I've got to admit, the "Charles" reference stumped me too.  The Xs were clearly "tens" once I finally understood Baron's hint and MIT isan establishment for tertiary entertainment. Maybe "Charles" was a red herring?!?!
[close]

Mandle

Spoiler
I've got to admit, the "Charles" reference stumped me too.  The Xs were clearly "tens" once I finally understood Baron's hint and MIT isan establishment for tertiary entertainment. Maybe "Charles" was a red herring?!?!
[close]

(laugh) I think you meant "Edutainment" perhaps? (laugh)

Baron

Spoiler
Why do we always hide things after they've been answered in this thread?  Do people really read ahead while working on a previous puzzle?
[close]

Spoiler
PEEK-A-BOO!
[close]

Spoiler
"Charles" is actually the river that runs through Boston, and the MIT campus is stretched out along the river like peanut butter on a wall (I have a toddler at home, deal with my corny analogies :P).  So to be precise, "Charles" wasn't a red herring, but being an estuary next to the harbour it may actually contain red herrings itself.  So it was kind of like an Inception red herring. :=
[close]

Spoiler
Hi Mom!  :)
[close]

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Ha!  Made you click! ;)  Also...
Spoiler
Return?
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Mandle

Hahaha Baron!!!

After penetrating your Fort Knox of hides I see you have the correct answer.

LOL! I thought maybe throwing such a simple one in after so many truly cryptic ones would make everyone overthink it, but you clearly check off all the obvious solutions first before delving in fully.

I bet you check out every hotspots' LOOK interaction in every new room before trying anything serious when you play adventure games too...(laugh)

So...here's a quick one, should take about 10 seconds for someone to get it I'm guessing...

Half-assed (1)

Spoiler
YES!!! That's right!!! No typo...and no miscount (I counted four or five times to be sure) (1)!!!
[close]

Spoiler
Oh, and the answer is not "U","C", etc, for looking like half an ass ;)
[close]

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 22/11/2014 08:10:17
So...here's a quick one, should take about 10 seconds for someone to get it I'm guessing...

Half-assed (1)

Spoiler
An ass is a donkey.
Half a donkey is a key.
Key sounds like K
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 22/11/2014 08:39:47
Quote from: Mandle on Sat 22/11/2014 08:10:17

Half-assed (1)

Spoiler
An ass is a donkey.
Half a donkey is a key.
Key sounds like K
[close]

Not even close sorry (I've been wanting to say that for a long time (laugh) )...

selmiak

A?
S?

only 23 letters left!

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 22/11/2014 13:00:28
A?
S?

only 23 letters left!

I see the logic here in A or S being a portion (synonym of "half" maybe) of the word "ASS" but sorry no, this is also completely the wrong track to be on ;-D

Spoiler
I will also not even be answering anyone who just posts the entire rest of the alphabet :P ... Some reasoning behind the answers is always nice to read too... Wow, I might have actually made either a pretty good or really terrible cryptic puzzle here... Time will tell I guess...
[close]

Baron

Spoiler
It's not "Z", is it?  Following on the horrible ("harrible!") American name for the letter zed, as in "lazy" (half-assed) or even worse (and more half-assed): la-z.  That would be bad. ;)
[close]

nihilyst

Spoiler
Is it M, because Z, the ass (i. e. last letter of the alphabet), is the 26th letter and M, the "half-ass", is the 13th?
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk